MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Questions on taking video of North Dakota Elk hunt in 2011.

willhunt4food

Looking for some answers to a couple questions I have on videoing this elk hunt...

1. Are there any permits required to video a hunt on public lands in ND?

2. I understand that I can have a nonlicensee with me as long as they are not carrying the same firearm I am using. nonlicensee meaning someone with that does not have a tag for the unit i have drawn for. Can the the nonlicensed person who would be filming the hunt be a nonresident nonlicense holder? Just there to film the hunt.

Thanks for any help with this. I've left a few messages with the game and fish and its taking them awhile to get back to me. Just hoping to get things lined up before the season starts.

No permit required if you have no intentions to use for commerical purposes. If you film it personally and provide it to others for commercial purposes, a commerical use permit is required from the public land agency. Your state game and fish agency has nothing to do with the filming permit. The federal land agency has jurisdiction over that.

Good luck on the hunt.

Are you filming on BLM, NF or ND State Trust Land?

Here is a link to Public Access Information on ND State Trust Land:

http://www.land.nd.gov/data/surface/Hunting/access1.htm

Keep in mind, State Trust Land is not considered Public Land, although many hunters trespass in my home state on State Trust Land as they assume it is public land. In Arizona you must have a recreational permit, unless you are actively hunting with a valid hunting license. So, camping, scouting or filming would require a personal use permit.

I say to heck with the permit. It is public land. You and I own it. Film what ever you want and make billions off of it for all I care. It aint doing anyone any good kept locked up out of the public eye. They have no business in comming up with such nonsence...."film permit" my eye.

OK now I have vented.

Better follow the rules for now but someday there may be too many rules in this country that hinder freedom, liberty, and all that good stuff. That is when we'll start pulling down power like in the good old days.

If you want to talk about crazy rules that have to do with filming how about the law that does not alow any commercial filming in wilderness areas. I am a supporter of wilderness but absolutely do not agree with this law. Most americans never set foot in a designated wilderness, but could enjoy them by watching hunts ect on their television. It seems that by letting people see how incredible these places are vicariously through TV or video, there would be more support across the country for our wildlands. I can't see how having a cameraman or two following a hunter around has any negative impact (other than making it even harder for the hunter to be successfull).

If you want to talk about crazy rules that have to do with filming how about the law that does not alow any commercial filming in wilderness areas. I am a supporter of wilderness but absolutely do not agree with this law. Most americans never set foot in a designated wilderness, but could enjoy them by watching hunts ect on their television. It seems that by letting people see how incredible these places are vicariously through TV or video, there would be more support across the country for our wildlands. I can't see how having a cameraman or two following a hunter around has any negative impact (other than making it even harder for the hunter to be successfull).

Nice to see I am not the only one who thinks that way. Some others feel the same way, and they just say "Screw it" and film in wilderness areas without a permit. Watched a hunt last night on the tube that was in a wilderness area.

I have passed up many hunts due to that permit restriction. I think the USFS would be better served, as you mention, by people demonstrating the virtues of these areas.

But, I fear we are in the minority.

JMHO
If you are NOT doing anything illegal in taking said game, then WTH? If I were to video while we are hunting on FS or BLM and happen to video a booner being taken by somebody in my group if I was NOT carrying a tag..... Oh, sorry brother I didn't get it because we could be in violation if we made a nickel off the video?????
Chime in. Just pisses me off, sorry.

If you want to talk about crazy rules that have to do with filming how about the law that does not alow any commercial filming in wilderness areas. I am a supporter of wilderness but absolutely do not agree with this law.
Not to be nit picky, but I think what you are referring to are certain offices/agencies that do not allow filming in a wilderness area. As far as I am aware there is no law prohibiting filming in wilderness areas. Additionally, I know of filming permits providing by a federal agency for a wilderness area. So, it's not unilateral...

Big Fin-
Found this in a quick search:

http://www.fs.fed.us/specialuses/documents/InterimFilmingQAimprovedjune10.pdf

Looks like the USFS are changing their rules a bit regarding filming in a wilderness. This still says draft on it, but in looking at it I think your show could easily meet the requirements of the new directive.

http://idahoptv.org/press/showStory.cfm?StoryID=46908

ID- Yes, if you make money off the video and don't have a filming permit you'd be in trouble...if you got caught!

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back