Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Questions about Vortex Diamondback 20-60x80

rjthehunter

Anyone have any experiences with these? I'm able to get the scope for 360 instead of 600 new. I know there are better options but I feel like this is the best deal I can get on a spotting scope. Does anyone have first hand experience with one? I am still on the fence between the 80mm and 60mm objective lens but I'm leaning towards the 80 for low light capabilities. I'd like to get one before this fall for our pronghorn hunt. Any experiences or opinions about it are appreciated! If you hate vortex for some reason, don't bother commenting. If there's other scopes that are around the same price range that you think is better I'd be interested in taking a look at it.

I debated between that and a viper, I end up going with a viper 15/45/60. I was thinking about the 80, but thought it would be too heavy for my application. (Elk hunting). If it were me, I would probably wait for a deal on a higher end scope. From comparing both of them, the glass was much better in the viper then the DB. In the end it’s your choice. Just my thoughts though.

Does your discount apply to other brands as well? I went through the same consideration last year and ended up going with a compact Leupold Gold Ring 15-30x50 to get me by until I can afford to spend the money on a Viper or Leupold SX4 80mm. Then after I upgrade I'll keep the Gold Ring to use in situations where I don't want to pack around the 80mm. It's pretty clear at 30x and I'm mainly trying to tell legal bulls from nonlegal bulls and not worried about taking the biggest one on the mountain.

Last edited:
I have that scope. I paid 499 for it, not sure where you are seeing it for 600? I’m not second guessing you just putting it out there.

I will say though, that I’m not impressed with it a all. Very poor glass and all but useless at full magnification.

The razor line is supposed to be better, but I don’t have any personal experience with it.

I’ll sell you my diamondback for $225. Ha...seriously though.

I had a diamondback spotter 20-60x80 about 8 years ago. I used it on 1 hunt and got rid of it. Higher magnification clarity was very poor and glassib. In low light was very difficult. If you can swing it, save up the extra and go for a viper or razor.

The hunt isn't happening until next fall, so I can hold off a bit and save up for a Razor or Viper.

For the price, it's hard to beat. I've ran the 60mm for several years now and would like to upgrade, the Viper is really nice. But other things get in the way...

I wouldn’t go with anything less than the Razor line. There’s a reason they can give 1/2 off discounts to everybody with a buddy that’s a cop or service member and still make money.

I wouldn’t go with anything less than the Razor line. There’s a reason they can give 1/2 off discounts to everybody with a buddy that’s a cop or service member and still make money.
Hence the reason I have said there is other brands that are more bang for the buck.

What you plan to use the scope for will be the difference between liking the diamondback or not. If you plan to count inches at thousands of yards, you won't be happy with the diamondback. If you want a spotting scope so you get you a better look at something to confirm if it has horns or not, you will be happy with the diamondback. I have had the Diamondback 20-60x60 for several years and I love mine. Keep in mind that all I use my spotting scope for is to decide if what I am looking at is the game I'm after and at most to confirm if something has horns or not before putting a stalk on it. If you plan to use the spotting scope to count inches at thousands of yards, save your money and get a higher end spotter because you will not be happy with the diamondback. I love Vortex products but the diamondback just simply does not compare to the higher end optics from vortex, or any other company out there. With all of that being said, I think it's a great scope for someone with a tight budget and I am perfectly happy with mine.

I have the razor 65mm and it’s very crisp and clear, even at full magnification. I have no experience with the db or viper though too compare them. But like others have said I would save up and wait, the old buy once cry once mentality.

I wouldn’t go that far. They are decent glass especially for someone who can’t afford top of the line, they work better then basic garbage glass. I only get 40% off, and I also get 35% off Meopta so does that mean they aren’t good either? Just because they hook up LEO and MIL with great discounts doesn’t mean crap.

I wouldn’t go that far. They are decent glass especially for someone who can’t afford top of the line, they work better then basic garbage glass. I only get 40% off, and I also get 35% off Meopta so does that mean they aren’t good either? Just because they hook up LEO and MIL with great discounts doesn’t mean crap.
Don’t take it personal, most peeps on here hate on vortex :) leupold is basically the only thing worth getting 🤣

Unless it's the HD line, i wouldn't spend the money on a Diamondback.

My choice, which i'm very happy with was a Celestron C70 Mini Mak.
I'd be willing to put it up against much more expensive spotters.

I have one I’ll sell you for $300. I am very underwhelmed with it, even for the price point. Granted I’m chasing coues

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back