Questions About unit 56

My mom broke many a wooden spoon on my behind. I would turn and laugh at the fact that it snapped in two. That did not make her happy

While I do agree that relying on a map or mapping software can give someone an unrealistic look at any unit, (thinking that the access will be easier or harder than reality),this particular unit is going to be a tough one.

There is limited access along the east side, from the Rochelle easement along the N. Platte, but only to the limited sections that the road crosses. The remainder of the unit, and I mean ALL of it, lies on the Bolton Ranch, owned and controlled by Overland Trail Cattle Co., a division of Anschutz Corp.which also ownes Power Company of Wyoming.

There used to be limited access to hunt late season cow elk throgh an HMA, and trespass fee access for other species, but the HMA has been recinded, because Anschutz doesn't want anything around to draw raptors, such as gut piles, that could be killed by the Chokecherry-Sierra Madre wind farm which is going into the construction phase in a year. Last year there was no trespass access to anywhere on the ranch, and I haven't seen or heard anything different for the foreseeable future.

I think that anyone drawing this unit without an "in" w/ Overland Trail will be extremely dissapointed.

While I do agree that relying on a map or mapping software can give someone an unrealistic look at any unit, (thinking that the access will be easier or harder than reality),this particular unit is going to be a tough one.

There is limited access along the east side, from the Rochelle easement along the N. Platte, but only to the limited sections that the road crosses. The remainder of the unit, and I mean ALL of it, lies on the Bolton Ranch, owned and controlled by Overland Trail Cattle Co., a division of Anschutz Corp.which also ownes Power Company of Wyoming.

There used to be limited access to hunt late season cow elk through an HMA, and trespass fee access for other species, but the HMA has been recinded, because Anschutz doesn't want anything around to draw raptors, such as gut piles, that could be killed by the Chokecherry-Sierra Madre wind farm which is going into the construction phase in a year. Last year there was no trespass access to anywhere on the ranch, and I haven't seen or heard anything different for the foreseeable future.

I think that anyone drawing this unit without an "in" w/ Overland Trail will be extremely dissapointed.

***Too bad that you stated all that information out on the Forum. I knew about the wind farm plans and that the HMA had been rescinded, but wasn't quite sure if involved the entire unit. That's why I made my first post with just the general statement of going back to the drawing board and then about the roads on the east side and got chastized again, LOL! It would have been good to let the "gentleman" who vehemently disagreed with my assessment of the unit to find out all that on his own by doing his own legwork he talked about in order to maybe draw that tag! Thanks though, because at least contrary to the one member statement, it shows that I do know shit from Shinola, LOL!

Last edited:
No you don't. But what you don't know won't hurt you.

***Didn't your Momma ever tell you to shut your mouth if you can't say anything more than all your negative comments like you do on the majority of your posts on the various Forums? Maybe the spoon she used wasn't big enough for your big smartazz, LOL! PS: The goat I shot 2 years ago that you dissed as not measured properly was, in fact, done properly by a Scorer and after the 60 day dryng period it went down to 78 5/8", so bite me :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Just standing on the end of the bar watching the kids piss on each others boots,, sooner or later someones going to get their jeans wet and the knuckles will fly,,,,,,, :rolleyes:

Top gun is usually right, or very close,, the thing in his head that stops him from typing things you dont wanna hear is Broke. I bet on checkerboard two years ago,,, never again,, building points for better areas. on scoring issues?? never measured mine. its on the wall, I like it,

Last year was my first year out for antelope, did it on private land in a leftover tag area. Learned pretty quick that the road ownership / useage out there is a world away from what it is back home. Around here, if there's a road sign or it's on a map, you can drive it. Not so out there.

I have found that varies greatly depending on what area of Wyoming you are in. If you are hunting around one of the high dollar ranches, good luck because you will be paying a ticket. Smaller ranches and out of the way places are like you said, much better, just be careful and know who/what you are dealing with.

I guess the tie breaker would be a call to fish and game or the local warden,, refer to them as an umpire of sorts, gotta be a slow time of the year for them and they have always been friendly and helpful for me in the past !

Topgun, theres really no sense arguing with people.You know what the deal is and tried to warn them.If they want to give it a go let them learn the hard way.Some people just have to do things that way
If I had a question about something in wy., I'd feel confident in your response and go with it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back