PEAX Equipment

Question

OSOK

How many bucks will you pass up during an average year of hunting? And, what are your standards in order for it to be what you would consider a "shooter"?

As many as I see that are smaller than the one I have hanging on the wall.

A shooter has to be at least as big, preferably bigger than the one I have hanging on the wall.

This is Elvis

:cool:

Attachments

• Elvis1.sized_thumb[1].jpg
    Elvis1.sized_thumb[1].jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 196
Hopefully Mr. OSOK I won't have to pass up many. There are so many deuces running around that I just pass them off not up. 150-160's in the trees keep messin me up. I'll probably pull the trigger on something past 180 if I'm lucky enough to see him!

I'll post pics of the ones I don't shoot if I see any at all. LOL.

It depends on how much time I have, etc.

I know last year I passed up bigger bucks than I'd ever killed before. Most of them were in the 165-175 class. I passed up one that I wont this year if I see him again. He was a great buck...and the only reason he's still alive is because earlier that day I saw the largest mule deer buck I've ever seen alive. The buck I ended up killing was 184 B&C gross. I have no doubts that buck I saw 3 days earlier was well in excess of 190 B&C typical, he had extra everything over the buck I killed. The one I passed up was a 180 class gross deer as well, heavy as hell, 29-31 inches wide, extra deep forks in back, but didnt have great fronts. Main beams were long though. If I see that buck again this year (I think theres a real good chance), I'm going to kill him.

A review of my hunting journal shows the most mule deer bucks I passed up in a single day was in Montana in November of 1998...47 bucks...23 of them 4x4 or better. Nothing over 155 B&C.

Ideally I'd like a 180ish plus buck but the standards will probably have to drop this year with less time to hunt and the area declining in quality. May not have the chance to pass up many.

On an average year, I will pass up 40 legal 4 points or better. My standards are pretty damn high. BCbucks and I are holding each other to 200+ as a shooter. Anything less will require a fair amount of ribbing. I learned that the hard way last year. :rolleyes:

Depends where I'm hunting. In Arkansas on my family deer club, I won't pass any legal buck period. They must have 3 on one side and a brow time counts. If i passed a buck there I would hear him get shot when he cossed the fence onto the neighbors. My fathere in law likes the meat and would not let me in the house If I passed a legal buck. The good news is I just drew a unit 2 Kansas deer tag. Last time there 3 years a go I got a 161 whitetail. This time I will not wait for one bigger buck but I probably will pass up dozens of bucks during the 10 day season hopeing for bigger. I will shoot a 150 whitetail if I see one even in kansas on a once in a blue moon tag.

With a rifle I will pass up anything smaller than the 30 incher on the wall... With my bow if given a good shot and is a decent buck... SMACK!

enrut

Hey 280...hows the trailer park...you got the swamp cooler going? I threw some old tires out on your lawn (more like a dirt patch) last weekend while scouting bighorns in Montana, got them on the roof yet? Dont let the IRS or Social Security agents see you trying to hoist them on the roof...they'll cut your benefits.

As to the mule deer:

What do you think this forkhorn scores?

shedmuledeer2.jpg

Another look:

Shedmuledeer5.jpg

The buck I saw the same day I passed up the 180 buck was in that category, minus the stickers. Hard to get excited about a 180 buck when you see something in that class.

Oh, and the above buck is still alive and may get plucked like a thanksgiving turkey in a couple months.

buzz you must still be using the tape you scored your wifes "Boone" antelope with,,,you know the one,,, its starts at 4",,,legend in your own mind

Dont be afraid to guess a score...we wont laugh too hard when you make an ass of yourself as usual.

Oh, and my wifes lope wasnt a booner...missed the awards by 3/8's grossed 80 2/8 netted 79 5/8...officially scored...want to see the score sheet?

We'll I've never personally killed a big buck, So I'll have to say I'll shoot the first decent fork horn I see...;)

I always break my standards to shoot something lesser anyhow...but I would say I always aim for 180+...:D

I held that rack the other day.. WOW! I hope one of you guys tracks him down and nails him. What a beauty!

Will Tuffthedinkshooter Ever Join the 200" Club?

Tuff,
Yes I do have a doe tag. Did you forget that we are allowed 3 deer per season. Doe tag is meat in the freezer since I didn't get a moose draw this year. Yummy, tender doe and Big Ol' Stinky 200+ Muley Buck and maybe even a 180+ yummy highcountry velvet muley. Who knows, maybe the doe tag won't even be cut and I'll hammer a Monster Whitey instead. Or maybe a 3rd monster muley. Options are endless. Might even head down to the coast and shoot a Monster Blackie. hump hump I have been invited to the QCI to hunt Sitka's over Christmas, but doubt that will fly with my wife. :eek: I would love to hammer what, 15 of those little buggers? :p

Pick me up on the way to the QCI! I'm going there one of these years! Don't worry about me, I've got a 200"er tied up!! A meat deer? That's what Aug. 15 to 31 any bull moose up North is for! Wake up and smell the chilcotin coffee man there's no big bucks down there LOL!

Yea, I know there ain't no monsters in the Chilcotin. Only dinks like this one. ;)
DoubleDropVelvet.jpg

No time to head up North for a meat hunt. All my holiday time is booked for Trophy Muleys.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back