Question on School

ELKCHSR

What is every ones take on Online courses verse Brick and Morter?

Online classes popular on campus as well as off

In practice, the policy is often shaded. Florida State University tightened on-campus access to online courses several years ago when it discovered some on-campus students hacking into the system to register for them. Now it requires students to get an adviser's permission to take an online class.

Many schools, like Washington State and Arizona State, let individual departments and academic units decide who can take an online course. They say students with legitimate academic needs — a conflict with another class, a course they need to graduate that is full — often get permission, though they still must take some key classes in person.

In fact, the distinction between online and "face-to-face" courses is blurring rapidly. Many if not most traditional classes now use online components — message boards, chat rooms, electronic filing of papers. Students can increasingly "attend" lectures by downloading a video or a podcast.

Rest of story for pro's and con's.

http://http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10860269/page/2/

Guess I'm old fashioned Russ...give me a motivated professor. The dynamics of a classroom lecture setting is tantamount to a complete matriculation.

Just my opinion.

Well, having had the experience of taking both types, I am one of the people that like attending class in a real classroom. There is just something about it that makes it better in my opinion. Also, without the classroom experience you don't get the 'whole perspective' of things.

I also think that it is just a way out for lazy students. I also know at least one other student whose wife took 3 classes for him - tests, projects and all.

To each his own. I went to 4 years of college, no online classes, to get the magic piece of paper. How do you find out where the parties are if you don't go to classes? I just wish I would have said no to drugs.

No to drugs??? LOL!

Actually, I'm doing both! Working full time, I couldn't find the class I was looking for on my days off, so I'm taking one online and one in the class room! Both of these courses are from the same college!

Depends on if you are trying to get a credit for a class or if you are actually seeking an education. There is a big difference. A college education is far more than the sum of the credits taken.

Hey John

That’s what the article pushed for.

I do believe though, after doing some research on the subject both ways.

The brick and mortar schools are losing more and more students to the online experience.

I have talked to a number of people on the subject, and some just live to far away to make it feasible to travel back and forth while maintaining the rest of their lives.

Also, a lot of the big companies are becoming more exceptive of an online degree from a fully accredited school.

LOL Ken...

Complete matriculation can be achieved in any setting, depends upon how much effort is put forth by the matriculatore (Not really a word, for those concerned about spelling errors ;) ) whether they achieve complete dynamic matriculation or not.. :eek: :D

Tony and BigBux, it don’t take drugs or parties to attain that level… :p

...as far as the drugs are concerned, I suppose one should lean toward the "mortar and pestle" method. "Mortar and brick" would be too inefficient. :D

Good luck on your educational journey Russ, no matter the means.

I’ve taken classes in both formats. I tend to learn a lot more from actually going to class. Most of my classes in high school where more challenging than some of my online courses, but I don’t have any other options. I work fulltime as a firefighter. My schedule consists of rotating 24hr shifts, so online is the only way I can accomplish my goal. Some colleges offer very challenging programs that require a tremendous amount of student involvement. While other colleges you are just merely buying college credits. It’s a shame because those programs discredit the ones that actually require the students to work and learn.

Whether we like them or not, online courses are here to stay. They make a lot of sense for people in very rural settings. There are quite a few people in my community that take on line courses. The closest 4 year college is 250 miles away. I don't know how crazy I am about a person receiving there undergraduate degree from an online school, but it's darn handy for graduate work. Having said that, I like the classroom setting better, but I have taken online courses for graduate work. The online courses are usually more difficult than the classroom courses, provided one is being honest.

Taking one now and have taken one in the past. OK for core classes, especially the 1hr a day, 5 day a week variety. Why waste the commute for a basic class? But I wouldn't miss the in-class experience for my upper division classes.

The more I read on the online classes the more I agree with them, as long as the person is responsible. After going to class all day and having 3 to 4 hours of homework, that took a lot of drugs. :D . No more drugs with my job now, dammit, should go back to school. :(

LOL... You guys are fun to see on this topic. :)

I have checked out both sides of the isle on this topic also, beyond the article that seemed interesting at the time.

As Big Sky mentioned, there is a growing trend towards rural individuals collecting needed degrees to get ahead.

When I was in regular class room settings, it was fun, if for nothing else, the human involvement and since it seemed a lot of the information was learned in class by the teachers lectures, not as much self motivation was necessary to complete tasks (well, cept for the homework), where as an online course of study would be all self disciplined studies, so the motivation to do well would need to be greater.

I see online as being substantially harder, just for the fact, it takes a lot of self will to sit at a desk and do school work, when the mountains are so close and it would only entail putting a pack on to rectify the dilemma.

Thanks for all the input; it has been very enlightening in certain aspects... :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back