Question - Montana Elk Combo with Bow and arrow tag VS Archery Permit

Roughwater

Never hunted Montana but plan to enter the draw to try to get the Elk Combo license and bow and arrow license. I'm thinking to also put in for the Archery Permit. I see the odds are small of me actually getting the Archery permit are about 17% on my first try but what would I have to loose if I didn't draw it? Are the extra units and parts of units that come with the Permit worth the trouble?

You aren't really out anything, other than money, putting in for the permit. About the only area I can think of with archery permits is the breaks, you would have plenty of company as they give out quite a few permits. I haven't hunted it for archery but several buddies that do, they have been somewhat more successful there over general areas.
I would plan more on the experience you want, if you want to hunt the mountains, go general. If you want to scrub gumbo (nasty mud) out of everything you own for the next 5 years, go permit.

You aren't really out anything, other than money, putting in for the permit. About the only area I can think of with archery permits is the breaks, you would have plenty of company as they give out quite a few permits. I haven't hunted it for archery but several buddies that do, they have been somewhat more successful there over general areas.
I would plan more on the experience you want, if you want to hunt the mountains, go general. If you want to scrub gumbo (nasty mud) out of everything you own for the next 5 years, go permit.

I bought into the Gohunt insider thing. What the insider info seems to indicate is that with the permit, I can hunt districts or at least parts of districts that are off limits to general season hunters but I sure could be wrong. Here is something it's telling me about this district (520):
Archery Only - Permit
Sep 5 - Oct 18, 2020
Valid south and east of West Fork of Rock Creek This is a 900-20 season that allows permit holders to hunt in multiple hunt districts throughout the state. Hunting is at the same time as the draw permit archery season
This permit is valid un units 401, 403, 411, 412, 426, 447, 450, 455, 500, 502, 510, 511, 520, 530, 570, 575, 580, 590, 701, 702, 704, and 705 end quote.

It also says this about the General archery license:
Archery - License
Sep 5 - Oct 18, 2020
** This archery season is only available to hunters who have an Any Legal Weapon general tagt in this Hunt District AND purchase the bow and arrow license.

Valid north and west of West Fork of Rock Creek The archery elk hunt in the backcountry can be a lot of fun. Elk will be screaming their heads off in the peak of the rut.

My take from that is for this particular district, If one has the license only they can only hunt North and West of West Fork of Rock Creek where as permit hunters can also hunt south and east or the West fork of Rock creek. I'm assuming there may be parts of other general Districts that having this permit in hand would open up?

The 900 tag is a combination of districts which are listed in your post above.

The mention about Rock Creek is in regards to unit 520, which is general W of Rock Creek and in the 900 unit east of rock cr (and it’s own draw unit for rifle).

There are also some other units, like the breaks, that are draw tags ( not general archery) but not in 900.

900 got expanded this year to have more tags and more units than in the past.

Don’t forget to pick up a handful of surplus mule deer doe tags!

I wouldn't be too proud to take home a mule deer doe. I like your motto "Made in Montana" I bought me a few pairs of the "Alpaca's of Montana Socks over time" I don't have a sock fetish and the socks are not cheap but I love those things. I think I bought my first pair some 3 years ago or more. I have a whole drawer full of socks but those few pair of Alpaca socks are about all I wear now and I've yet to wear the first pair out. The fit is perfect, they don't fall down or ball up, they are warm but my feet never seem to sweat. I really can't imagine a more perfect sock!

Back