Question About Hiring

As someone who hired well over 100 people last year alone, if I have two equally qualified candidates competing for a position, tattoos and piercings don’t come into the equation unless we are talking face tats or piercings and gauges that are over the top. Those will negatively impact an individuals ability to perform in most of the positions that I hire for and it is part of my job to hire the best person for whatever position I am filling. That’s the breaks.

View attachment 315545

He looks innocent enough! Maybe I should hire him as my new BD guy and send him to some client meetings to drum up some more work to keep the rest of the team employed.

I can see it now:

"Cool padlocks bro!"
" I really like the squiggly line under your eye, but I can't tell what it says. Always Trying??!!"

You could not have picked a better example of the point everyone else in this thread is trying to make.

Last edited by a moderator:
Irrelevant.

When potential employees make personal decisions that negatively impact their ability to perform in a position they are applying for… well that is timeless.
Why do those things negatively impact their ability to perform the job? What job are you talking about? mtmuley

I'm cool with all of it, even the dude with lipstick. But tongue piercings annoy the hell out of me.

How does a tatoo or nose ring impact an employee's skill set?
It doesn’t. Here is the internal problem I had have. I assume the person picks a tattoo that they think represents a part of them and their personality. So should I judge the skull and crossbones or barbed wire or rattlesnake? If an argue that the person “just thought it was cool” then do they make impetuous decisions on whatever is going through their head that day?

I get your point, and agree. But I have hired enough to know it is a roll of the dice. After a long day of interviewing, stuff started creeping in my head about why one candidate is better than another, and my career was suit and tie BS. I’m sure not of it mattered and maybe jobs are different?

The conundrum- people get tattoos to show something about themselves but don’t want to be judged by their tattoos.

I draw the line at neck and face tattoos. At that point they’ve proven they have poor judgement - otherwise it’s no big deal, but I’m also an electrical contractor. If we had to hire people based on professional appearance and manners, we would never hire anyone.

I draw the line at neck and face tattoos. At that point they’ve proven they have poor judgement - otherwise it’s no big deal, but I’m also an electrical contractor. If we had to hire people based on professional appearance and manners, we would never hire anyone.
I have my son's name tattooed on my neck. Are you telling me that you wouldn't me to try and save your life, your wife's life, or your children's lives if there was an emergency even though I'm a more than qualified medic and also FF1 graduate....?

Back