Question About Capes

Emerica8212

Good morning,

I am a self taught hunter so I apologize if the answer to my question is common wisdom.

Is it unethical to leave the hide of an animal if I have no desire to use it?

I do 100% of my hunting solo and I have yet to harvest an elk but plan on doing so this season.

I don’t want to waste anything but at the same time I don’t want to carry whatever extra 40 pounds of hide having no plans (or skill) to use it.

With that being said I’d rather carry it out if that is the right thing to do.

Thanks for any insight.

If you don’t want to mount it I wouldn’t mess with it some people do sell some though if you come across a nice one

You can always sell it if you don't consider your time to be worth too much. Turned and salted make it more convenient if you can do it. Couple hunnert or more in return for your trouble.

I will pack out capes if they are within reasonable distance or not too heavy. They are worth some cash.

There are certain hunts in AK that you must salvage the hide and most of the guts. The locals pushed through to make it onorous for non-locals to hunt. They climbed up on their traditional use horse.. even though the locals waste a crap load of meat, by leaving it hanging outside all winter long, and hardly any of them salvage the required items that they want the non-locals to salvage.

I will pack out capes if they are within reasonable distance or not too heavy. They are worth some cash.

There are certain hunts in AK that you must salvage the hide and most of the guts. The locals pushed through to make it onorous for non-locals to hunt. They climbed up on their traditional use horse.. even though the locals waste a crap load of meat, by leaving it hanging outside all winter long, and hardly any of them salvage the required items that they want the non-locals to salvage.
(6) in addition to (d) of this section the heart, liver, kidnevs, and fat of caribou taken in 5 AAC 92.074(d) must be salvaged, and the head, heart, liver, kidnevs, stomach and hide of moose taken in 5 AAC 92.074(d) must be salvaged;

Moose haggis? If you bring the haggis I'll bring the scotch.

Nothing wrong with leaving it behind.
I’ve got a nice cow(elk ) rug...
If you make friends with a taxidermist, they may want them.
I’ve never tried to straight up sell a cape but I have two different taxidermists that I often “contribute” a cape to...its a semi-informal agreement but I think I will be rewarded with some small discount when and if I bring in a critter to mount myself.
As a new hunter you would still benefit from learning about properly skinning the head and face, making the cuts you need if you do want to mount something eventually.
Nothing like practice on the real thing.

Short answer … "No, you do not need to bring out the hide if you do not plan to use it".

I asked my taxi about this and if he buys hides, he started laughing. Told me people try to sell him capes all the time and usually there so bad either by care or wrong age class that it wouldnt mount correctly. He will not even look at it unless he knows you as usually its just a waste of time. Personally I would like to have a nice elk hide tanned for the house at some point.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back