Question about antelope

TLC:

Pretty much like a deer. The roasts are so small, that I usually grind it and make lots of other goodies from it, plus the burger for tacos, lasagna, spaghetti and meatballs, is excellent.

Not sure why some are bad. I have shot and eaten many of them from MT, WY, CO, NV, and NM and have yet to get a bad one.

Just lucky I guess.

Don't post stuff like links to your hunting album during the day! Makes me totally more unproductive than usual. Freakin' Homo!

Those things are so tough. You gonna be cleaning that skull? Was that recent? Yummmmmmm.

Spitz that was from 2 winters ago near Gardiner. It was with about 25 other bulls and just dwarfed them all. It's the 7th down on this list

Did he hit it good on every shot? Cant tell the hits with all the thick hair.

I've only had a couple, but they were tastier than any deer I've had. The first one was a bad neck shot and it ran a few hundred yards before dropping. (I was shooting from a little tunnel through some rocks and blew the shot.) We gutted it right away and hung it in an old sod house, but did not skin it. When we came back a couple hours later, the layer of exposed meat was semi-frozen. Despite running and being a buck with a herd of does and sore feet, it tasted fine - very mild. It was near Wheatland, WY. Perhaps it wasn't eating as much sage?

Did he hit it good on every shot? Cant tell the hits with all the thick hair.

Head shot didn't penetrate the brain cavity. All the rest of the shots were taken at perfect angles and were direct hits to the lung/heart area.

was thinking about going for one of them also. maybe not now. didn't realize they were that tough to drop. they don't act that way when the indians spear them........:eek:

Any one that wants to trade an elk for a goat hummmm. They are ok but not in the same class as elk. I have done all my own processing for 38 years, sausage, bacon, and hams so I have a little exsperience. As in anything its a matter of what you like.. I like it all but some just a little more than others.
olefish

My buddy and I both killed speed goats from the same blind this year. Both perfectly placed shots and both goats went right down. Both were taken care of exactly the same, gutted and skinned immediatley, quartered and placed on ice immediatley. Mine tasted great, his was a bit skankey. Still good but much more gamey. I've had people tell me it's just a mystery of speed goats, most are great, but every once ina while, for no reason in particular, one is bad. Good or bad, there isn't much to 'em anyway.

What they're eating

I think what makes the biggest difference in taste is what they're eating. I haven't tried antelope that is mostly eating sage brush, but I've heard they can be terrible. In our area they're eating winter wheat and alfalfa for a large part of their diet. They are really good. Some of the other guys are right when they say that cooling them out can make a difference. Some hunters that used to come from Wisconsin said they they would see carcasses along I-80 from about mid-Nebraska east.

Back