Québecois feast!

Sasquatchewan

7bac4ea5-bc7a-43bc-9c3d-e24d5f78130e_text.gif

A friend of mine gave me a 1kg bag of pure white gold, that's cheese curds for us Quebecers, not the stuff that turns you into a super hyper asshole. Real/good cheese curds are hard to come by outside of Quebec so we didn't waste the opportunity to be fat and sassy! This inspired me to throw on a true Québec feast; steamed all-dressed hotdogs with poutine. Beware, this is not French "haute gastronomie", this is the food you buy at those mom and pop restaurants all over La Belle Province.

poutine - noun​

pou·tine | \ pü-ˈtēn \

Definition of poutine

chiefly Canada : a dish of French fries covered with brown gravy and cheese curds

First thing I did was cut potatoes for the fries and soaked them in water while the wife and I loaded up the kids in the truck and went on our weekly trip to the city to get the missing ingredients.

20210313_133309.jpg

To start off, I made the traditional coleslaw or "salade de choux". It's a mix of finely shredded cabbage, onions and celery topped off with vinegar, vegetable oil, sugar, salt and pepper.

Then, I started the process of making french fries, double deep fry, of course, but the key to a great/authentic poutine is fries that aren't too crispy.

While the fries were cooking, I got to the thick of it, boiling the dogs and steaming the buns! For this, I had to get creative, dropped the hot dogs in boiling water and topped it off with a strainer with parchemin paper and the buns, covered and steamed for 5 minutes.

20210313_165828.jpg

Next step was pretty easy, I didn't bother with making the traditional "brown sauce" and opted to buy canned poutine gravy from St Hubert (a Quebec staple).

20210313_162413.jpg

Finally, combined the fries, cheese curds and gravy (in that order, very important) and dressed the steamed hotdogs with lots of mustard and coleslaw. The result was actually surprising and tasted just like back home-ish!

20210313_170951.jpg

Also, I promise when hunting season comes around I will get to talk about hunting again...

View attachment 177279

A friend of mine gave me a 1kg bag of pure white gold, that's cheese curds for us Quebecers, not the stuff that turns you into a super hyper asshole. Real/good cheese curds are hard to come by outside of Quebec so we didn't waste the opportunity to be fat and sassy! This inspired me to throw on a true Québec feast; steamed all-dressed hotdogs with poutine. Beware, this is not French "haute gastronomie", this is the food you buy at those mom and pop restaurants all over La Belle Province.

poutine - noun​

pou·tine | \ pü-ˈtēn \

Definition of poutine

chiefly Canada : a dish of French fries covered with brown gravy and cheese curds

First thing I did was cut potatoes for the fries and soaked them in water while the wife and I loaded up the kids in the truck and went on our weekly trip to the city to get the missing ingredients.

View attachment 177280

To start off, I made the traditional coleslaw or "salade de choux". It's a mix of finely shredded cabbage, onions and celery topped off with vinegar, vegetable oil, sugar, salt and pepper.

Then, I started the process of making french fries, double deep fry, of course, but the key to a great/authentic poutine is fries that aren't too crispy.

While the fries were cooking, I got to the thick of it, boiling the dogs and steaming the buns! For this, I had to get creative, dropped the hot dogs in boiling water and topped it off with a strainer with parchemin paper and the buns, covered and steamed for 5 minutes.

View attachment 177281

Next step was pretty easy, I didn't bother with making the traditional "brown sauce" and opted to buy canned poutine gravy from St Hubert (a Quebec staple).

View attachment 177283

Finally, combined the fries, cheese curds and gravy (in that order, very important) and dressed the steamed hotdogs with lots of mustard and coleslaw. The result was actually surprising and tasted just like back home-ish!

View attachment 177284

Also, I promise when hunting season comes around I will get to talk about hunting again...
What beverage pairs nicely with this dish?

I see you must have a fine pilsner poured by the looks of it...

Another benefit of living where I do: We're in the peripheral poutine zone. Good stuff! Where are you from in Quebec?

I came here hoping this was going to be poutine. Any time I get to Quebec or Ontario my purchases are 1. Poutine and 2. real Havana Club rum.

Next time you go to Quebec you have to get the "SaskHunter meal"; small poutine, one all-dressed steamed hotdog and one all-dressed cheeseburger with a Coke (don't settle for Pepsi). It'll change your life forever but you might fall asleep at the wheel on your way back home...

Also, LITERALLY every Canadian who goes to Cuba on vacation comes back with a few bottles of Havana Club.

Hmmm, never had coleslaw on a hot dog. I’ve had it on a pulled pork pizza.

Might have to give this a whirl, ‘Murican style.
It’s good especially topped with a little sweet and spicy bbq sauce.

You are killing me with the Great Western beer and Canadian Poutine !! The freaking border ( one mile from my house) has been closed a year :cry: !! In Quebec it's Labatt 50 and Poutine. In Saskatchewan it Great Western and Poutine. Several cases of Great Western make their way back east with me every year after our freelance waterfowl hunt. And yes to the "all dressed" dogs and burgers !

What kind of sheltered life I have lived to never even heard the word "Poutine."

Agree...10/10

Reactions: Hem
Back