Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Quality "Available" bullets to reload for my Savage M110 in .270 Win?

WVgoodguy22

Aside from the .300 WSM that I have made multiple posts on this forum, I also have a late 90s Savage Model 110 in .270 Win. I have had her for 23-24 years since my Dad bought her for me when I was a teenager. Since I am having muzzle brake issues with my .300 WSM that has hurt my ears on those close quarter shots, where I didn't have time to put in ear protection I am going to use my ole faithful in the fall in both West Virginia and possibly PA (in those NW counties that have tons of public and possibility of seeing a black bear). Plus I want to get her ready for Wyoming pronghorn and possibly mule deer next year.
As many of you who reload have found out, the bullet availability is rather low at least selection wise. My current loading is a Nosler BT 130 grain in front of 53 grains of IMR 4350 going 2950 fps. I only have 20 loaded rounds of that and 15 of the Precision Hunter 145 ELDX (which I haven't tried yet, just gave 5 to my cousin to try in his Tikka Superlite). The only other reloading bullets that I have are Nosler 150 grain Partitions. Which more available bullets out there would give me similar performance? Both my brother and cousin like the 140 grain Hornady SSTs, I could only find the 130 and 150 SSTS and Interlocks at Cabela's. No Sierras, no Nosler, no Barnes, etc.... I have thought about going copper, but I can't find the Nosler ETip, Hornady GMX or CX, The Barnes TTSX or LRX. I did see that the 124 grain Hammers were available for $61 for a box of 50. I have never loaded copper before and have heard mixed reviews on the Hammers, mostly positive though. Any suggestions or information would be appreciated.

Forrest

So are you happy with the 130
Nosler BT and you just cannot find any? Or you just want to Switch? If you like the 130 BTs scheels has them And you can order online link below. They also have 130g partitions in stock also.

Yes I am happy with the 130 grain Nosler BTs, just couldn't find any or multiple sites, etc.... .270 Win seems to be pretty popular and I haven't found too many factory ammo options either. I thought about going with a heartier bullet for a multipurpose load, but the deer that I have taken with the BTs bleed like crazy and die not far from where I shoot them if at all. I haven't really got to shoot her longer ranges (which might be the case out west), but I got a while before worrying too much about that.
I do appreciate that Hornady gives me 100 vs 50 for Nosler.
Thank you very much.

Yes I am happy with the 130 grain Nosler BTs, just couldn't find any or multiple sites, etc.... .270 Win seems to be pretty popular and I haven't found too many factory ammo options either. I thought about going with a heartier bullet for a multipurpose load, but the deer that I have taken with the BTs bleed like crazy and die not far from where I shoot them if at all. I haven't really got to shoot her longer ranges (which might be the case out west), but I got a while before worrying too much about that.
I do appreciate that Hornady gives me 100 vs 50 for Nosler.
Thank you very much.
Glad I could help hope you can get
Some Ordered before they sellOut

I'd be thinking about the 139 or 116 Absolute Hammer for sure.
Sadly the 139s are not made for my 1:10 twist standard 270 Win. The 116s will work, but I would definitely have to talk with Steve about loads. The 124 and 117 Hammer 🔨 Hunters are also viable for my standard .270 Win. Thank you 🙏

If you haven’t done a lot of reloading I’d stay away from the Absolutes. It’s easy to get yourself in trouble. Load up the 117 and let ‘em rip.

If you haven’t done a lot of reloading I’d stay away from the Absolutes. It’s easy to get yourself in trouble. Load up the 117 and let ‘em rip.
I have reloaded for my .270 Win and .300 WSM but it has been all cup and core type bullets, Accubonds, etc.... but no copper ones. I still have the Barnes TTSX 150 grainers that Viking Guy recommended for my .300 WSM, I am a tad nervous to try em. But I am sure that I could watch tons of videos on YouTube on how to load copper bullets and all about jump to the lands, etc... Thank you.

Loading copper bullets isn’t rocket science. Jam the lands to establish a baseline, load to correct distance off, follow data.

I noticed that the local Scheels had some CX bullets in a few calibers just last week in the reloading supply section. You might check, if you have a Scheels, too.

A month or two ago, I bought a few boxes of Hornady Superformance, CX 130gr in 270WIN for a relative to try out. I found them online. I think it was Cabelas. As I recall, the Superformance load is a little zipper, so it was appealing for a 1:10 twist 270.

I am noticing less 270WIN and 270WSM to chose from over the last 18mos. WSM in particular seems to be in decline as far as factory ammo. I won't be surprised to see 270 ammo dropped from factory offerings, or at least, to the rarely offered category.

If you have something that you like (that your gun likes), buy an inventory of it when you find it. That is my plan for the 270WSM.

I noticed that the local Scheels had some CX bullets in a few calibers just last week in the reloading supply section. You might check, if you have a Scheels, too.

A month or two ago, I bought a few boxes of Hornady Superformance, CX 130gr in 270WIN for a relative to try out. I found them online. I think it was Cabelas. As I recall, the Superformance load is a little zipper, so it was appealing for a 1:10 twist 270.

I am noticing less 270WIN and 270WSM to chose from over the last 18mos. WSM in particular seems to be in decline as far as factory ammo. I won't be surprised to see 270 ammo dropped from factory offerings, or at least, to the rarely offered category.

If you have something that you like (that your gun likes), buy an inventory of it when you find it. That is my plan for the 270WSM.
Thank you. Scheel's has some 130 grain Nosler BTs and Hornady SSTs as well as the 145 grain ELDX available to ship.

Aside from the .300 WSM that I have made multiple posts on this forum, I also have a late 90s Savage Model 110 in .270 Win. I have had her for 23-24 years since my Dad bought her for me when I was a teenager. Since I am having muzzle brake issues with my .300 WSM that has hurt my ears on those close quarter shots, where I didn't have time to put in ear protection I am going to use my ole faithful in the fall in both West Virginia and possibly PA (in those NW counties that have tons of public and possibility of seeing a black bear). Plus I want to get her ready for Wyoming pronghorn and possibly mule deer next year.
As many of you who reload have found out, the bullet availability is rather low at least selection wise. My current loading is a Nosler BT 130 grain in front of 53 grains of IMR 4350 going 2950 fps. I only have 20 loaded rounds of that and 15 of the Precision Hunter 145 ELDX (which I haven't tried yet, just gave 5 to my cousin to try in his Tikka Superlite). The only other reloading bullets that I have are Nosler 150 grain Partitions. Which more available bullets out there would give me similar performance? Both my brother and cousin like the 140 grain Hornady SSTs, I could only find the 130 and 150 SSTS and Interlocks at Cabela's. No Sierras, no Nosler, no Barnes, etc.... I have thought about going copper, but I can't find the Nosler ETip, Hornady GMX or CX, The Barnes TTSX or LRX. I did see that the 124 grain Hammers were available for $61 for a box of 50. I have never loaded copper before and have heard mixed reviews on the Hammers, mostly positive though. Any suggestions or information would be appreciated.

Forrest
I fired a 7mm Rem Mag or a friend one time. Darn near tore my ears out of my head. That was the first and last time I ever fired a rifle with one and it will never happen again.

Midway has SGK and interlocks in the 130-140 gr range. If you watch barnes site they should have TTSXs and LRXs in stock from time to time. I’ve seen the .308 168gr TTSXs in stock a couple times over the past 3-4 months.

I see that you already found the NBTs, but don’t be afraid of the Hornady Interlocks. Cheaper and hold together a little better

Stupid question probably, and not trying to derail the thread, but what is the reasoning behind a lighter bullet when you go all copper? I shoot an ‘06 and I’ve always been a 180 or close guy across the board. Just wondering. TIA.

Stupid question probably, and not trying to derail the thread, but what is the reasoning behind a lighter bullet when you go all copper? I shoot an ‘06 and I’ve always been a 180 or close guy across the board. Just wondering. TIA.
So it’s a bit of a trade off. Since copper is harder than lead, generally copper bullets need more velocity to fully expand. Going lighter helps with higher velocity and because most copper bullets maintain nearly all their weight they penetrate as far/farther than heavier cup and core bullets. A side benifit of the lighter/higher velocity is a flatter trajectory at “normal” hunting ranges (inside 400yds)

So in your 06 sat you’re using either 180gr Partitions(maintain roughly 60%) or Accubonds (maintain 70-80%) vs 150gr Barnes TTSX. In both cases the partition and accubond are going to start loosing mass as they penetrate. The shank of the partition is going to end up somewhere around 108grs and on the accubond it will be about 135grs (75%weight retention). In most cases the only weight the TTSX will lose is the plastic tip so it will weigh somewhere around 148grs. If they all going the same velocity at impact the barnes will penetrate further.

The down side is as you go down in weight the BC drops and therefore you loose velocity quicker and as i mentioned earlier is that the all copper needs more velocity at impact to get full expansion. Pretty much all the all mono bullets are advertise the min impact velocity as 1800fps (same as most cup and core). You can google pictures and they look like a “+” on the end of the bullet. To get the advertisement level expansion you really should keep your impact velocity above 2000-2100fps.

-Matt

So it’s a bit of a trade off. Since copper is harder than lead, generally copper bullets need more velocity to fully expand. Going lighter helps with higher velocity and because most copper bullets maintain nearly all their weight they penetrate as far/farther than heavier cup and core bullets. A side benifit of the lighter/higher velocity is a flatter trajectory at “normal” hunting ranges (inside 400yds)

So in your 06 sat you’re using either 180gr Partitions(maintain roughly 60%) or Accubonds (maintain 70-80%) vs 150gr Barnes TTSX. In both cases the partition and accubond are going to start loosing mass as they penetrate. The shank of the partition is going to end up somewhere around 108grs and on the accubond it will be about 135grs (75%weight retention). In most cases the only weight the TTSX will lose is the plastic tip so it will weigh somewhere around 148grs. If they all going the same velocity at impact the barnes will penetrate further.

The down side is as you go down in weight the BC drops and therefore you loose velocity quicker and as i mentioned earlier is that the all copper needs more velocity at impact to get full expansion. Pretty much all the all mono bullets are advertise the min impact velocity as 1800fps (same as most cup and core). You can google pictures and they look like a “+” on the end of the bullet. To get the advertisement level expansion you really should keep your impact velocity above 2000-2100fps.

-Matt
Thanks a million for that explanation. So if I understand correctly, I stand to get nothing but benefit, since I have zero intention of shooting over 400 yds. I will gain flatter trajectory, and still maintain fatal expansion velocity. Very interesting. Thank you again

Back