Pygmy scores!

MarvB

Posting this up for my buddy Pygmy...I'll let him add the dialog!
Congrats there Danno on a couple of good eating birds.

turkeys.jpg

Thanks, y'all... These birds were the result of a textbook hunt, NORTHEASTERN style...

I was hunting with my Canuck buddy Gator..We swap turkey hunts every year between his home in Ontario and my home here in rural, upstate NY...

We had hunted the morning without contacting birds...Despite fairly high numbers of turkeys, it's pretty easy to hunt AROUND them in this heavily timbered area... On our way home for lunch, we spotted a flock in a fenced in hayfield.They spooked but we saw where they went.

After lunch we returned and split up so that we apparoached the area the birds were in from opposite directions..

Gator contacted the birds first and scattered them by shooting through the trees over top of them....

I heard his shot and hurried to the area..By the time I got there I could already hear the birds calling, trying to re-group.....I set up in the timber at the top of a steep slope and started calling...Soon I had turkeys answering all around...I passed up several birds because they looked small..While I had these turkeys around me, I heard Gator shoot again a couple hundred yards down the ridge and assumed he had killed a bird....

I let a few smaller birds pass by and finally spotted a larger turkey with big red head and droped the hammer...He flopped and I knew he was down...Trouble was, I did not know HOW FAR down he was going to go...he flopped down over a steep slope, and I had to follow a "feather trail" straight down the hill to recover him.... I finally found him, and it took me a full 15 minutes of hand over hand climbing to get him back up the slope to where I had sat when I shot him...

I hiked the mile back to where my truck was parked and found Gator there with a nice jake, which he had called in and killed after he scattered the flock..

My bird weighed 13 3/4 and his weighed 14 1/2..Not bad for birds of the year in this area...

Way to go!! I have heard that Turkey hunting is one of the most exhilirating hunts around. Im hoping to draw either this year or next year here in Utah.

SCOTT

cjcj...The picture was taken in the driveway of my home here in rural upstate NY...The county road that I live on is in the background.. It's paved, but it ain't very GOOD...

The area I live in is about 70% forested, 30% farmland...The birds were killed on a wooded ridge about two miles from my house..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back