Pulling Tandem

Again, I’ve never done it, but if the hydraulic brakes on that rear trailer require it to push into whatever is towing it to engage, then you’ve started out the slowing in a less than ideal manner IMO. But maybe not.
I don't think you'll have problems because the camper had electric brakes in the middle. I could see more issue if the hydraulic was in the middle and the boat was reducing pressure on the hydraulic system. But that's not the case here, so my gut feel is you won't end up with too much issue.

Stopping will still be iffy, but that's more cause you have a long heavy load back there 🤣

D.S.S
Perfect
screen-shot-2021-07-03-at-70211-pm.jpg

It’s not as hard as you think nor is it as easy as you think. I also cut my teeth on doubles pulling a super-B set and hauling 12,000 gal of jet fuel.

Everything about it is time consuming and attention to details at levels most are not accustomed to.

You will want to pay attention to the laws in the states you’re planning to operate in as well. Different states have different licensing requirements, length laws, connection requirements and such.

My boat had hydraulic surge brakes and the camper had electric brakes. Stopping was never an issue.

Dumb asses pulling out forcing to hit your brakes and being stupid around you were. “OMG, it’s a pickup pulling two trailers.. I’m gonna get in front of him so I can do 70 in a 55 and not get behind him…”

MGIF disease is strong with too many in 4wheelers

From the front bumper of the pickup to the transom was 63’. So I don’t know where some are coming up with 90’. Most states have a 70-75’ length limit for vehicles.

One state example is Minnesota also has an operating curfew where you’re simply not allowed on the road (think the times you’re going to or from campo/fishing) on weekends and holidays.
5F588260-8533-45F9-AC57-BC1E217A7F6E.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s not as hard as you think nor is it as easy as you think. I also cut my teeth on doubles pulling a super-B set and hauling 12,000 gal of jet fuel.

Everything about it is time consuming and attention to details at levels most are not accustomed to.

You will want to pay attention to the laws in the states you’re planning to operate in as well. Different states have different licensing requirements, length laws, connection requirements and such.

My boat had hydraulic surge brakes and the camper had electric brakes. Stopping was never an issue.

Dumb asses pulling out forcing to hit your brakes and being stupid around you were. “OMG, it’s a pickup pulling two trailers.. I’m gonna get in front of him so I can do 70 in a 55 and not get behind him…”

MGIF disease is strong with too many in 4wheelers

From the front bumper of the pickup to the transom was 63’. So I don’t know where some are coming up with 90’. Most states have a 70-75’ length limit for vehicles.

One state example is Minnesota also has an operating curfew where you’re simply not allowed on the road (think the times you’re going to or from campo/fishing) on weekends and holidays.
View attachment 228911
Your camper is drastically shorter than what a lot of folks are driving these days... Along with a smaller boat than what most guys are getting a double mortgage for...

Think more like this rig, and you can see how you can start to push much higher in total length:
1657138189545.png

Your camper is drastically shorter than what a lot of folks are driving these days... Along with a smaller boat than what most guys are getting a double mortgage for...

Think more like this rig, and you can see how you can start to push much higher in total length:
View attachment 228912
Ok…

IF that rig is 10’ longer than mine, it would still be under 75’.

My boat was 18’. The camper 26’. By the time you get into a 40’ triaxle camper and a 25’ boat, you’ll be grabbing someone’s attention quick and getting taken off the road.

But since his boat is 2’ longer and camper is only 3-4’ longer…

Let’s continue to blow this out of proportion.

Let’s have a show of hands who’s actually pulled doubles. But like most internet topics…

Ok…

IF that rig is 10’ longer than mine, it would still be under 75’.

My boat was 18’. The camper 26’. By the time you get into a 40’ triaxle camper and a 25’ boat, you’ll be grabbing someone’s attention quick and getting taken off the road.

But since his boat is 2’ longer and camper is only 3-4’ longer…

Let’s continue to blow this out of proportion.

Let’s have a show of hands who’s actually pulled doubles. But like most internet topics…
Well lets do some math and see where we end up:

Artic Fox 5th wheel, exterior length: 39'8": https://northwoodmfg.com/arctic-fox-2/arctic-fox-35-5z/

This boat, Chaparral, trailer length with hitch: 24'6" : https://www.chaparralboats.com/Chaparral-Boat.php?id=564&action=tab_specs

2022 F350 with Crew cab and 6.75' bed: 250"= 20.8': https://www.ford.com/trucks/super-duty/models/f350-lariat/

so, 39'+25'+20= 84', subtract roughly 4' due to overhang from the 5th into the bed of the truck. So call it 80'

Really, the moral of this story, 90' really isn't that far out of the realm of possibilities for someone shooting from the hip on the internet. There are larger campers/boats/trucks than that on the road.

Is it legal or advisable? Different story. Would you get pulled over? Depends on your state. Here in SD we have a pretty minor police presence on the road ways, so high chance you'd never drive past an officer.

🙋‍♂️

Since I have done it, I notice them all of the time. It is rare to see a 39 foot 5th wheel in a triple. Not to say it is never done, but I rarely see super long 5ers in the middle. Pretty common to see the 28-32 footers though.

The sheriff pulled me over one time.....to tell me my camper door appeared open. Whew!

As stated, make sure all of your brakes are in working order as well as your lights. This is not the time to have those things not work.

Plan on some extra time. Plan your fuel stops so you aren't boxed in. And then go. It really isn't that big of a deal and believe me, there are PLENTY of bigger threats on the road than a well maintained triple.

And a rig like that is illegal from the git go being over length etc.

As far as I’m concerned…

You get what you deserve at that point…

But hey… Murica…

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back