Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Pull it or shoot it?

Bullshot

FF1BE082-858F-4EDB-9E18-5C780F2A7279.jpegI am having a day with my 30-30 die. Got a handful of these over crimps/squashes as some of the brass was a tiny bit long. 34.5 BLC2 and 170 Speer. Shoot (if will chamber) these or pull and discard? How much extra pressure would this cause? Shooting out of modern Marlin.

If they’ll chamber shoot em and start over. You’re a couple grains under max charge already so you’re not pushing it. You’re going to have to fireform the brass anyway to get it back to usable.

If you roll this round between two flat steel bars it will iron out the neck wrinkles and it will likely chamber. If the load is not too hot, I have done this.

How are you crimping? That looks like a Lee Factory crimp, but it's really hard to crush brass like that with the LFC die.

If you roll this round between two flat steel bars it will iron out the neck wrinkles and it will likely chamber. If the load is not too hot, I have done this.

How are you crimping? That looks like a Lee Factory crimp, but it's really hard to crush brass like that with the LFC die.
Just seater/roll and doing it in two steps. Very very finicky on the case length (would barely crimp -vs- crush with not a lot of in between but since I didn’t trim long cases from the lot, so a few snuck in. I will be more careful with the case lengths next time for sure, and may use the LFC die on the next batch anyway.

Save the primers if you can get the brass to go through sizing die. Take it slow so casing doesn't get stuck. Primers are golden right now. I have punched them out many times no problem.

Invest in a case trimmer. I have cheap Lee hand held model that I hook up to electric drill. Works great.

Edit: I see you have one. That post came in while I was writing this one ... while watching 49ers crumple.

FYI, not talking you out of LFC die but it’s not a crimping issue. As you said, length is what got you this time. Get the length right and you’re good. I hate changing dies unless it’s necessary. Just my two cents

Save the primers if you can get the brass to go through sizing die. Take it slow so casing doesn't get stuck. Primers are golden right now. I have punched them out many times no problem.
I’d make damn sure they are lubed properly before I tried this.
If you try this WEAR SAFETY GLASSES.

Invest in a case trimmer. I have cheap Lee hand held model that I hook up to electric drill. Works great.

Edit: I see you have one. That post came in while I was writing this one ... while watching 49ers crumple.
Probably won’t go back in a sizer easily without risk of sticking. I’m planning to use a universal decapper and will go slow, with a towel over top, glasses on and plugs in. Primers are gold! Will re-use but not for anything important.

I have collapsed the shoulder on a couple of AI cases when trying to use the crimp feature built into a standard issue seat die. I thought I had it seated to where the case mouth would fold into one of the grooves, but I guess not. Never saw ANYTHING like that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back