MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Protection?

Baerman

I see many of you put something black over the tip of your barrel to keep debris out. Is it just electrical tape you all are using or is there a barrel condom of some sorts?

Any of you leave the protection on while blowing your wad :D ??? I assume in the heat of the moment one could forget to remove the protection.

I seen a show once they talked about just using electrical tape. Very easy to shoot through and doesnt mess with the bullet trajectory.

Condom, tape, surgical barriers, they all work fine. Don't worry about taking it off-i have never heard of ill effects.

Electrical tape.

1 piece folded over the crown, and then 3 or 4 wraps around the barrel to hold everything in place. I use 3 or 4 wraps because it leaves enough to reseal my barrel after a shot.

It's never had an affect(or is it effect?) on the bullet.

Condom, tape, surgical barriers, they all work fine. Don't worry about taking it off-i have never heard of ill effects.

No kidding? The air pressure in front of the bullet must break the tape barrier then? I can't get my mind around the fact that something obstructing the bullets path would not effect the bullet in some way. I'll have to try this at the range at 200 and 300 yds to trust that it would not effect trajectory in some way. Not that I don't believe you, just need to prove it to myself.

Thanks!

I use electrical tape and have never had it effect the bullet. There was one of the gun mags that did a somewhat scientific study on it some years back. The writer shot 5 different calibers with five different brand guns if I recall correct. 4 out of 5 of the guns actually shot a slightly better group with a piece of tape over the barrel than without. I am talking difference of 0.87" group without tape versus 0.81" group with tape, very minute difference. The fifth gun the group actually grew minimally with tape, about the same amount as referred to above. Conclusion was that tape and no effect on whether or not you'd kill what you were shooting at.

Electrical tape works just fine. The tape is blown out before the bullet gets there and it will save your hunt for sure. Nothing more frustrating than being two miles from the truck and run the barrel in the mud during a fall.

I use electrical tape and have never had it effect the bullet.

Agreed! In the early years I'd peel the electrical tape off before firing a shot, but I got excited one time and haven't bothered taking it off since...I just let the muzzle blast remove the tape for me now when I pull the trigger!

For the record, big game animals still tip over at 300 yards when using electrical tape on the barrel...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back