Props to ID Warden

Any reward for your effort? In come states you can get a point for the species of a tag etc…

In Coloraod I turned in a guide for killing a couple elk on public land during a private only hunt season… They had been after the guide and with my photos and GPS evidence they were busted.

The end result was 2 elk points one for each kill violation.

I did not do it for the points, but when they were offered I did not turn it down…
Wait, that's a thing? Unit no. [redacted], here I come!

Good on ya for taking the time to report the crime. So many people would rather avoid conflict altogether.

What a bunch of shtheads that would shoot at a animal and never track it down. I'm outraged. Glad the OP did what he did and thanks to the game warden. These douche's should be fined big time and their hunting privileges taken away for 5-10 years. They wouldn't want me as the judge.

What a bunch of shtheads that would shoot at a animal and never track it down. I'm outraged. Glad the OP did what he did and thanks to the game warden. These douche's should be fined big time and their hunting privileges taken away for 5-10 years. They wouldn't want me as the judge.
100%^^^^

They’re good guys for sure. They sacrifice decent pay, their own hunting time and deal with inept prosecutors and shoe string budgets.

Brandyn Hurd is another top notch C.O., and was instrumental in getting the BOAL back.

The warden probably wrote as many tickets as they could. Unfortunately, district attorneys and judges will plea them all down or not give adequate punishment.
That’s the way TN is. Local judges consider wildlife crimes victimless crimes, or practice cronyism, and let egregious and/or repeat offenders off all of the time

That's a shame! Makes my stomach churn just thinking about it. Glad you did the right thing and the CO had the follow through to hunt them down.

I drew a late muzzy tag for mule deer here in Idaho. Saturday morning I spotted a golden eagle and some crows in a draw and decided to check it out. I found this buck at the end of an incredibly obvious blood trail. After a bit of investigating I figured out that the buck had been shot at about 175 yards from a forest road. There were ATV tracks in the fresh snow, and it was clear that the shooter never left the road to check if the buck was hit. This really pissed me off and I decided to call the local G&F which was closed and I was redirected to the poaching tip line. I wasn't really expecting much, and was pleasantly surprised when the game warden called me back within 3 minutes. I explained what I'd seen and he said he was about 90 minutes away and would head my direction. I texted him a couple pics and the GPS coordinates of the buck and moved to another area to glass. I ran into him a couple hours later and he had found the buck, removed the head and said he was going to start looking for the hunters. It was pretty obvious the deer was shot the day before, and I figured the odds of finding the guys that did it were slim to none. As I was driving out in the dark a few hours later the warden called me to let me know he had found the hunters, and they had admitted to shooting the deer and not following up. The warden had followed the ATV tracks to where they had trailered up. He then followed the trailer tracks for several miles to another canyon. He spotted the two ATV's driving down the road and was glassing them when they stopped and shot at yet ANOTHER deer before, once again, driving away without any attempt to follow up. When confronted they admitted to shooting at the buck I found, and not bothering to climb the hill to look for blood.

I am incredibly impressed with this warden. He could have just picked up the head and moved on. It also feels good knowing that at least one despicable road hunter got what was coming to him. Even a cursory search for blood would have led directly to this deer. I spent weeks preparing for this hunt, and several days hiking and glassing in freezing cold and never saw a buck of this caliber.

View attachment 250047
I salute you for reporting as much as I salute the warden for tracking the guys down.

Idaho leads the nation in poaching, poor sportsmanship and general assholeishness.

Never have seen a closed to motorized vehicle trail w/o fresh atv tracks.

Claude Dallas was a hero here for killing 2 wardens in cold blood.

Many N/R hunters get their tires slashed and worse.

A friend's dad killed a nice bull years back, came back into Salmon to celebrate, rifles stolen out of his truck - had California plates.

I'd be afraid to report violators.

Last edited:
The sad thing I think their are more guys like that than their are like us

Idaho leads the nation in poaching, poor sportsmanship and general assholeishness.

Never have seen a closed to motorized vehicle trail w/o fresh atv tracks.

Claude Dallas was a hero here for killing 2 wardens in cold blood.

Many N/R hunters get their tires slashed and worse.

A friend's dad killed a nice bull years back, came back into Salmon to celebrate, rifles stolen out of his truck - had California plates.

I'd be afraid to report violators.
Hmmm...I'm not discrediting this at all. Just saying, have you ever hunted Utah?

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back