Prohibit Sage-Grouse Hunting In Montana

Ben, from the article, it looks like Wyoming still has a season, but it is now 3 days. I think my research last year had WY broken into 3 units; 1 closed, 1 open for 16 days and 1 open for 3 days.

Montana manages the state as 1 unit with a 62 day season. Do you think the commission should look at this closer?

Just looking for others perspective.

Before I'd support reducing opportunity, I'd need to know a couple of things:

What will this do in regards to the listing of Sage Grouse?

What will this do for the overall population of Sage Grouse?

How many birds are taken each year?

Where's the science that supports elimination of hunting in order to improve SG numbers?

I'm not opposed to altering the current structure and I know Big Sky Upland Bird Assn has been calling for reduced bag limits and a change in the season. I generally trust those guys, but honestly, I've not been that involved in the issue. If someone can give me a good reason to limit opportunity, I'm all ears.

Bowing to political pressure from the Ag & O&G industry is no way to manage wildlife under the NAM.

That's exactly why a group of us formed a PAC after the 2011 legislative session. "Montana Sportsman's Alliance" was what we came up with. We threw a lot of time and money at Brendens bid for re-election promoting Julie French's campaign. We got soundly defeated there. Those people must be a lot different in the head than most.

We are always looking for members to get active.

http://www.montanasportsmenalliance.com/

Shoots Straight, I had already committed to baby sit a womans shop while she dealt with a divorce and her buying trips, so I could not participate in the legislative process in Helena much, but I knew from personal communications and watching the videos to transcribe, that MSA was very active (thankfully). I am on MSA's mailing list and forwarded y'alls alerts this last session, as well as sent info to Borgreen, Perry and Quartraro, who are on my email lists. I think I am viewed as a wee bit too radical for MSA though. :)

Actually Kathryn, at MSA, we appreciate you and your participation. But our responsibility is to represent a bunch of constituents and we have to take just time enough to hear differing perspectives before we jump. We too are considered radical by some. Appreciate your comments.
Brenden found an opportunity for a stage and he dearly loves to hear himself babble. Fact is, he's wrong as usual. Has he forgotten that if he uses his hokisspokiss on the Sage grouse and eliminates hunting, we no longer share responsibility for funding.....it becomes an issue for the general public.

Pierre, thank you. Lol, yes, I know the reputation of some of y'alls radical "bad boys". Debby Barrett took issue with one this last legislative session. Personally, as a woman, I think if you are going to mix it up with a traditionally male dominated environment, especially a publicly held position, then you should be willing to accept the members of the public and their view points that dont mesh with yours. And, when you are being soundly opposed, not pull the "woman" card and say, "Joe Perry is picking on me." ;)

I know from some research on the "new conservation" groups, that a number dont approve of hunting and would like a way to marginalize hunting. Its kind of like the enemy of my enemy is my friend thing. An animal rights advocate may be vegan and not like the USDA ag/livestock industry, but if an opportunity to side with them, to ban hunting presents itself, they will work together to do just that. And they will throw money at the situation. They probably figure that when the dust settles, they can duke it out later.

I am concerned about the future of hunting. I loved the recent thread Randy started of members posting one favorite picture for 2013, seeing all the youth that were represented. Hopefully, they are being instilled with not just the responsibility and respect of hunting, but the need to be vigilant in fighting for the North American Model and public trust stewardship, for future generations of hunters, not just the future generations of wildlife.

Thanks again for all y'alls hard work.

From MWF:
Sage grouse are in decline throughout the West, but hunters aren’t the problem. Out of 19 threats to the bird, hunting ranked 17th according to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. But SB 247, sponsored by Sen. John Brendan, R-Scobey, would eliminate sage grouse hunting in Montana.

This is bad policy because the Fish and Wildlife Commission already has the authority to regulate sage grouse hunting, including by shutting down the season as needed. And in fact last year the commission did sharply curtail sage grouse hunting, including closing down the hunt in many parts of the state and cutting the season in half.

The bill was recently heard before the House Fish, Wildlife and Parks committee and will come up for a vote soon. Please contact committee members and tell them to vote against SB 247. Tell them to keep wildlife decisions with the Fish and Wildlife Commission and keep science in wildlife management decisions.

You can contact members of the House FWP committee here by calling 444-4800 or click on the link below. http://leg.mt.gov/css/Sessions/64th/legwebmessage.asp

He is interested in oil, not the grouse. He's saying that if it the grouse are so rare that you can't drill, then you shouldn't be able to hunt them, i.e. make it as painful as possible to everyone. They named Toole county after him. Little known fact.

;-)

That one made me laugh, Rob!
We used to live (and farm) up there, at least half the year, but thankfully wintered here in the Bozone. Game processing, and then buffalo skinning, and now farming a rockpile, camelina oil pressing, and...
Still, Toole County is a reasonable place, considering it's also an "oil" patch, but never saw sage grouse there.
I'm heading up there again next week, to take camelina seed to a couple of our old neighbors who're growing it this year.
But Brenden... gads....
I've never been particularly involved with the sage grouse thing, and again, my official policy is to stick to non-controversial things like buffalo! Except Brenden thinks they're "dinosaurs".
Takes one to know one...

Back