Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Problems with the Winchester model 70 extreme weather?

• Thread starter Deleted member 38069
  • Start date
Thank you,454, for posting your target. I have been on the fence regarding acquiring this model given some of the, not so great, reviews I have read.

Its great to see that it can shoot that well!

I think a lot of people have more of a problem with the company than the rifle. My dad bought a Model 70 Supergrade three years ago in 30-06. The thing shoots .5" groups with 165gr SSTs. Even if the company has had some ups and downs, it's tough to beat a design that's been around for almost a hundred years.

Forgot to post the follow up!

Took it to the range and was pleasantly surprised with how accurate it was. Thanks for all the replies. I am happy to add this to the arsenal!

Happy hunting

Attachments

• 20190502_093024.jpg
    20190502_093024.jpg
    555.4 KB · Views: 31
Proceed with caution...

I bought a M70 EW in 25-06 in May '19. My experience was similar to "Boomerusaf" - mentioned in this thread.
Mounted a new VX5HD 3-15x44 Leupold with DD Leupold mounts. Torqued to 22 in/lbs, sealed, rings lapped, laser bore sited and leveled. I seasoned the bore for the during the first 30 rounds or so of shoot n' scub.
Put about 100 though her ranging from 100gr. Barnes TTPX to 115 AB's and PT's to 120gn PT's. An even mix of factory and handloads. The gun would not shoot anything under 3" at 100 yards off the bags.

I took the gun apart and found the following:
  • Feeble attempt at a bedding job, poor inletting and support for the rear screw.(see pic attached)
  • Trigger pull measured at 4.75lb - 5lb+ and inconsistent. Documentation states preset at 3.75lbs (see pic attached)
  • Trigger is not adjustable as the screws are epoxy sealed at the factory (see pic attached)
  • Bell and Carlson stock flexes and touches the barrel (see pic attached)
  • Shim or bedding material positioned in front the the aluminum bedding block on the forearm of the stock (see pix). causing the rifle to have a canted angle in the stock and ride high forward, thus making it difficult to acquire a site picture through the scope. It also appears to ride so high that the bedding block does not touch the action at the front screw.
I have 2 other Winchester Model 70's that are US made. They are flawless and shoot under 1 MOA all day. This is not at all what I or anybody should expect from such a legendary firearm let alone with a list price North of $1300.

It is now at Winchester/Browning in Arnold being evaluated. I will update once I have more.
  • ANnGbhleRzSx6IZ0U+40PQ.jpgS++gieMVST2DX0zfAhyDJA.jpgzvgNF%56RF+rG4qnozAFUA.jpg8536+BiKRZSUrpFolJkW%Q.jpgvkoxUh9jTHGKtY6l%KDMNw.jpg

Welcome! Mine is shooting 180 gr E tips at sub moa. I guess I was lucky.

Quality of alot of new guns , regardless of brand, that I have seen.
Remington, Winchester, aren't what they have been in the past in quality parts and assembly.
But they both still make some great guns for an off the shelf product that is produced in such incredible quantities.
I think if you look at alot of the accuracy of most rifles from the 50s and early 60s, the average Hunter was happy to get 2" at a hundred.
There are problems for sure, but overall rifles are pretty accurate now on average, for off the shelf , mostly slapped together , mostly made of plastic, mostly pressed together parts with little to no fitting done to them.
I would be more than unhappy to get a 1300 dollar lemon though.
Stuff happens.
Maybe try to get one put together on Wednesday instead of Friday, near beer thirty.
Kinda like buying a new car.
I have always favored the model 70.
Hopefully things get squared away at the assembly lines.

I bought one a few years ago in .270 and have no complaints .

I did find I tended to get better groups with 140 gr boattails over 130 and 150 gr corelocts

Review #2 - he's using a lead sled, so I would personally be reluctant to put a lot of stock in it. Who knows if he tried a different scope or not? Hard to say. It's the internet.
LJS JLS, I'm interested in your comment about the lead sled. I would have never considered that part of the review and I'm not sure what difference this makes. Please help me understand the thought process and explain why this is a bad thing. Thanks!

Last edited:
LJS, I'm interested in your comment about the lead sled. I would have never considered that part of the review and I'm not sure what difference this makes. Please help me understand the thought process and explain why this is a bad thing. Thanks!
Not JLS but IMO lead sleds are junk. Can’t get a good consistent cheek weld or comfortable hold on the rifle. Using weight in them will cause stocks to crack or break. Also make sure you don’t have a front sling stud in as they tend to contact the front rest during recoil.

Not JLS but IMO lead sleds are junk. Can’t get a good consistent cheek weld or comfortable hold on the rifle. Using weight in them will cause stocks to crack or break. Also make sure you don’t have a front sling stud in as they tend to contact the front rest during recoil.

Thanks! I didn't realize there were concerns with using them. Learn something new everyday. Thanks again!

LJS JLS, I'm interested in your comment about the lead sled. I would have never considered that part of the review and I'm not sure what difference this makes. Please help me understand the thought process and explain why this is a bad thing. Thanks!

What @cahunter805 said. You are supposed to be "eliminating a variable" with the introduction of the sled, but in reality are just replacing one variable with another. Depending on the scope, the parallax issue could be significant in terms of differentiating small levels of MOA accuracy.

Proceed with caution...

I bought a M70 EW in 25-06 in May '19. My experience was similar to "Boomerusaf" - mentioned in this thread.
Mounted a new VX5HD 3-15x44 Leupold with DD Leupold mounts. Torqued to 22 in/lbs, sealed, rings lapped, laser bore sited and leveled. I seasoned the bore for the during the first 30 rounds or so of shoot n' scub.
Put about 100 though her ranging from 100gr. Barnes TTPX to 115 AB's and PT's to 120gn PT's. An even mix of factory and handloads. The gun would not shoot anything under 3" at 100 yards off the bags.

I took the gun apart and found the following:
  • Feeble attempt at a bedding job, poor inletting and support for the rear screw.(see pic attached)
  • Trigger pull measured at 4.75lb - 5lb+ and inconsistent. Documentation states preset at 3.75lbs (see pic attached)
  • Trigger is not adjustable as the screws are epoxy sealed at the factory (see pic attached)
  • Bell and Carlson stock flexes and touches the barrel (see pic attached)
  • Shim or bedding material positioned in front the the aluminum bedding block on the forearm of the stock (see pix). causing the rifle to have a canted angle in the stock and ride high forward, thus making it difficult to acquire a site picture through the scope. It also appears to ride so high that the bedding block does not touch the action at the front screw.
I have 2 other Winchester Model 70's that are US made. They are flawless and shoot under 1 MOA all day. This is not at all what I or anybody should expect from such a legendary firearm let alone with a list price North of $1300.

It is now at Winchester/Browning in Arnold being evaluated. I will update once I have more.

Seeing these photos really has me wondering if I should "pull the trigger" on getting one in a 270. I've been bouncing around on it and the Howa HS Precision. Thank you for the pictures and the write-up on the issues!

I bought a 308 M70 extreme weather last week and took it to the range yesterday. I was mostly sighting it in but did shoot a couple 3 shoot groups at 100 yards. Hornady American Whitetail 150 gr was just over an inch and Remington Core-lokts 150 gr was just under an inch. Not an exhaustive test of accuracy by any means, but certainly a good beginning.

I have a extreme weather in 7mm for awhile. I’m very happy with it. It groups well with corelokts! In my opinion the stock could be better.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back