Private Pilots License / Flying to hunts

nhn2a

I know this is an odd place to talk about pilot licenses but curious if anyone out there has theirs and what your experience has been flying to and from hunts. In my downtime between hunting seasons I decided to pursue getting my Private Pilots License. Its something I've always wanted to try but never made time for. Well I signed up about 3 weeks ago and I'm currently about 40% of the way complete. I'm going to move immediately into getting my instrument rating so that way weather and visibility wont be as much of a concern. Thankfully the VA is paying for the instrument and any other ratings I want/need once I get past my private pilot license.

The wife is excited about it because she sees it as us flying with the kids to Disney more often. I see it as a way to get to and from hunts a lot easier, take better advantage of my time, and bring equipment and meat back easier. Plus I hate long car drives. I've never been a fan of spending days in a car. I've got access to a 6 seater Piper Lance with a utility load of around 1600 lbs so ample room for equipment and coolers.

I know the costs of flying/operating a plane dont necessarily save you money in the long run, its mainly about the convenience and time benefits. Again just curious if anyone else has done this and what your experience has been like.

I've never flown to hunts, but I suppose with a little research you could find strips that allow you to hop out and hunt. I have Commercial SEL/MEL with Instrument and am currently working on my CFI on the weekends. I would highly recommend that instrument rating. Private is where you learn to fly...instrument is where you learn to fly with precision.

40% done after 3 weeks is really hitting it hard! That's awesome. Are you going part 61 or 141?

I've never flown to hunts, but I suppose with a little research you could find strips that allow you to hop out and hunt. I have Commercial SEL/MEL with Instrument and am currently working on my CFI on the weekends. I would highly recommend that instrument rating. Private is where you learn to fly...instrument is where you learn to fly with precision.

40% done after 3 weeks is really hitting it hard! That's awesome. Are you going part 61 or 141?

Part 141. I'm enjoying it and so really dove into it. My goal would be to fly into a local airport, rent a truck, and go hunt. One day I plan to go for my sea rating and may look at an amphibious aircraft which would allow me to land, pack in the woods, camp, and hunt.

I applaud you and encourage you in your aviation endeavors, as it is certain you will enjoy flying and the successes resulting from training, learning, and improving skills. As someone who flew as a military pilot on active duty and then many years with the Montana Army National Guard, I recommend that you get some flight time and many simulated IFR approaches under your belt prior to heading out with family for long trips. 'Not sure where you will be training or to where you will fly to hunt, but be aware that mountain flying requires a somewhat different skill set than flatland or sea level elevation aviation. When I was an active aviator in Montana the dilemma was balancing the requirement to fly several times a month and on weekends to maintain proficiency, thus missing many hunting days during the open seasons.

It sounds like you have access to a good aircraft for your purposes. The costs are certainly a consideration, but for me that wasn't really an issue since I was even compensated for flying. The issue was the time management in the process of balancing family, civilian job, military duty, flight time .... and hunting opportunity!

Very cool. Sounds like you're well on your way and glad you're enjoying it so much!

Straight Arrow has excellent advice. I'd also suggest getting some actual IMC time under your belt too once you do start working on the instrument. The hood is good for training but is quite a bit different than actual. In the mean time enjoy getting that private! It truly does open a world of possibilities.

While you're working on your ratings don't overlook getting tailwheel proficient. I knew I'd want to get that under my belt so I flew tailwheel throughout my training. After accumulating a sizeable chunk of hours thus, every time I get into a trike it's like driving a truck; still fun but not as much fun.

I've never used it to fly to a hunt for a number of reasons. Cost is one, flying commercial is cheaper most of the time. Location of strips to a rental vehicle is another. Insurance, check your insurance plan, you may not be covered if you land on a strip not classified in a certain way. Ownership, if you don't own and only rent forget the whole idea. I have rented one once I arrived to scout for a day. Plane type, a super cub and a 172 are two worlds apart in useful duties.

Last edited:
My family, especially my dad, flew a lot. I had a license for a while. A private license is great for getting from airport to airport, but not so great for getting to a hunting spot because you don’t have a vehicle when you get there. An exception is flying into many of the remote fishing and hunting lodges where the lodge will pick you up. Also, my father flew extensively to/from our cabin and it saved a lot of time. However, even then weather often prevents you from going or strands you at the location, even if you have instruments.

I mostly just flew around airports doing touch and gos so I gave it up once I had kids. Maybe you will find it useful to see Disney, etc. It’s worth getting a license if you like to fly and hang with that crowd, but it generally isn’t a reliable or covenient way to get around.

However, even then weather often prevents you from going or strands you at the location, even if you have instruments.
After having been "weathered-in" a number of times, the slogan became, "Go by air ... if you have time to spare".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelixMarvin
Back