Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Primer Question

Montana2015

For years I have been using CCI #250 Large Rifle primers in my re-loads. Thought I had enough to last my life time. Not so. I use these in loads for three of my rifles . 30- 06, 270 WSM, and Remmington 6MM. All my recipes worked good. As many of you know, these are not currently available. Are there other primer brands and numbers out there, that I can keep my eyes open to, that I could use as replacements? Anything that would be close to the #250's that wouldn't require a lot of adjustment to recipes? If anyone has a box or so of CCI's, that they are willing to sell, please let me know. Only looking for a couple hundred. Thanks for feedback.

Just try other primer's. Get 100 at a time till you find what you want. I haven't noticed a lot of difference between primer's over the years with one exception. I was using CCI 200's in a 243 and switched to Herter 120's just for kicks, same exact load and the one's with the Herter primer's definitely out shot the CCI's. Used Herter primer's in that rifle ever since. I don't think it'll always work that way though but did on that one rifle!

We used to use CCI's but use nothing but Federal match primers now in everything we reload for.

I have used Remington, Winchester, CCI and Federal at one time or another and the last thing I ever considered was blaming any missing on the primers.

Try any of the other large rifle magnum primers, like Federal 215 or Winchester WLRM #8 1/2.

If you’re on the verge of a too hot load then step down a grain or two and work back up. But I bet you end up right back at the same powder charge weight you’re using with the CCI250s.

As others have stated, any of the LRM primers will work fine. I personally like Fed, Win & CCI, but any brand should do the job.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back