Caribou Gear Tarp

Pretty & Classy rifles. Lets see them!

Scrolled through this whole thread again, enjoyed seeing all the wonderful rifles! And, realized that I'd forgotten to post my Ruger Number One rifles - I only have two - neither has extraordinary wood, but I think they're pretty classy, good looking, good shooting rifles. The 375 has taken black bear, the 7mm has taken mule deer & antelope.

The 7mm Rem Mag, a twenty year old rifle, new to me about a year ago. It's remarkably accurate and awfully nice to hunt with:
ry0bdzph.jpg

And the 375 H&H, another great-shooting Ruger single shot:
uFpkTwwh.jpg

What ammo do you shoot out of your Pre 64 257 roberts. All i can find is the +P stuff and i really don’t want to shoot that out of mine.
My hand loads that are up around 60-62,000 psi, I would not worry about +p, I have a custom 7X57 about the same era (1950's) and I shoot loads that would be 7-08 pressure/velocity levels. The 7X57 which is the parent case for the Roberts is plenty strong as are pre 64 Model 70 actions, after all the same action does just fine with the 270, 308 or various belted mags.The main issue was all the weaker Springfield and Mauser actions (mostly 95 not 98 and made before the 1930's when the first Model 70's appeared) that had been chambered for both cartridges where the pressures were kept in the 46-48,000 psi range to reflect the weak actions made in the late 1890's to maybe 1910. I had a 257 Roberts on a Springfield action made by A.O. Neidner one of the first great wildcatters that I would certainly not shoot +p or hot loads in. I actually hit an old Springfield action with a hammer and watched it shatter into 3 pieces from poor case hardening/1900's metalurgy, the action was already in failure mode before I did the hammer test.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back