Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Prehistoric hunting?

That’s a really interesting article. It would be so cool to see one of those traps. I have found numerous rock blinds used to hunt sheep here in NV but never a trap. Different techniques here I suppose.

So I picked up another book on the subject, 'The Archaeology of Monitor Valley 2. Gatecliff Shelter'. This was also an awesome read, but vastly different in its tone and purpose. This is a well known dig, the one that put famous archaeologist David Hurst Thomas on the map, and the book is actually Volume 59 of the Anthropological Papers of The American Museum of Natural History. They spent roughly 10 seasons digging out this small cave/rock shelter in the eastern flank of the Toquima Range. It ended up being an unprecedented find, allowing a very accurate and complete look into the ecological timeline of the area, and also into the humans who lived here.

To get to the point, they found evidence of sheep in many of the layers of activity, and most of those sheep showed evidence of human hunting. I understand now, that the conditions in the rock shelter led to most of the big bones being broken over time, so its hard to tell what killed the animal, just that they were ultimately butchered by people. Interestingly, they found some evidence that maybe as many as 12 sheep were processed at one time, and that they may have been utilized primarily for their capes, they speculated that the hides might have been the most preferred clothing material of the peoples of that time and place.

There were many, many bones from other animals, coyotes, rabbits, rodents, deer, elk, and even some bison. Some getting there from human predation, others maybe expiring of natural causes in the shelter, or being drug there by other predators. In the end I didn't get any direct answers about how the sheep died, but I did learn a ton about the archaeology of one of my favorite areas, and about how ancient humans utilized their environment.

I am going to have to get that book. I’ve been to the Gatecliff Shelter Site. It’s filled back in but you can still see a red pictograph over where the entrance was. It’s amazing the information they gathered from that site.

I am going to have to get that book. I’ve been to the Gatecliff Shelter Site. It’s filled back in but you can still see a red pictograph over where the entrance was. It’s amazing the information they gathered from that site.

Looks like there might be a couple here still:

Its a very technical read, but full of info.

If it was me Id have used an atl atl once they were netted. We had an archaeologist type bring in atl atls for us to try when I was in high school, and we threw at a 3d archery target. I nailed the target on my second throw and put the spear through the neck of the deer at what seems like it must have been at least 25 yards and it stuck halfway through the other side. Imagine what someone who really knew what they were doing with one could accomplish on an immobilized animal at close range.

Looks like there might be a couple here still:

Its a very technical read, but full of info.
Sweet! Thanks

In my experience bighorn sheep are one of the easiest North American big game animals to handle once they are in a net. They don't kick nearly as much as mule deer and way less than whitetails. I have had ahold of four at once a few times while my coworker was hobbling a fifth. For how stout they look, they don't seem particularly strong and often give up when they think they are caught. I have no idea how it was done back in the day, but I don't think it would be all that difficult to kill one with a good club once they are down in a net.

I wish I could put up some video of our big catches or some of the ones I caught by hand without a net, but the file sizes are too big. Screen shots will have to do.

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 11.41.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 11.43.13 PM.png

Eagles are one of the main predators of young sheep in some areas. The sheep will hug up against cliff faces and go in caves to keep the eagles from being able to get their talons into them. It is an equally effective technique to keep us from getting a good net on them from the helicopter. When this happens, we put one of us on the ground to scare them out into better terrain. Sometimes this gives the guy on the ground the chance to get their hands on one and try to wrestle it to the ground. Doesn't work very often, but if you get in quick and the terrain is in your favor, it can be done. I thought this ram was going to head butt me over the cliff behind me.
Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 11.36.01 PM.png

Almost caught this one, but the ram made me hesitate and my leather gloves were wet and slippery.

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 11.37.34 PM.png

About to join the rodeo!
Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 11.45.46 PM.png

The worst part about catching sheep is the steep and cliffy terrain where you inevitably end up having to catch them. It is also one of the best parts when there is a moment or two to take in the view.
DSC00023.jpg

IMG_2110.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 11.41.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 11.41.42 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 1
South of Salt Lake City is a fossil museum with a life-size diorama in skeletal form of a mastodon being killed by humans. Very cool and worth the stop, but the whole place is amazing.

Check out the link below. The thing that looks like a video is actually a Street view type of thing that lets you tour the facility. The diorama I talked about is there along with a ton of other stuff. So cool.

Last week we thought we found an unpublished buffalo jump but determined it to be cows. No doubt it was used at some point by natives, but what we found were cows. They must have spooked from lightning and passed over the cliff. Only bones left but a pretty brutal scene.

Last edited:
All's I know is I feel like a real pussy. I've been chasing sheep for 5 years and haven't been able to find a ram I wanna take. Let alone club one to death........ as I'm sipping Starbucks Via Instant Coffee
But that Starbucks Via is pretty good for instant coffee. My wife bought some and I quickly decided that stuff was gonna be in my pack in the Beartooths in September.

So covid delayed the trip, but my wife and I went on a quick adventure for her birthday, taking the new hunting truck on a shakedown run. We did a little fishing near Kingston then made our way over to Gatecliff. Its an easy place to miss, since there isn't much there to see. We hiked all around the hillside, and found some sheep tracks and beds. I had the book tucked into my binocular harness so it got a little sweaty, and I sliced my hand on a rock, so I added some blood too. Worth the trip, we'll definitely come back and spend more time. The second photo is the shelf where the archaeologists did much of the sorting of the dirt removed from the shelter.

gatecliff1.jpg

gatecliff2.jpg

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back