MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Preferred food in camp

JDSanders

I am sitting here writing out a grocery list for my hunt the beginning of September. It got me wondering what kinds of meals other guys like to make in camp. What does your grocery list look like?

Our Camp Grocery list

As far as groceries go it depends on wether or not you are back packing or truck camping or if you pull a small trailer. I have a converted horse trailer that hauls my quad and doubles as sleeping quarters. So I have a 2 burner Camp Chef propane stove to cook on. I also take a dutch oven and a bag of charcoal.

Last year in Idaho we had steak, ham steaks, Venison chili, menudo (from a can), whole roasted chicken (dutch oven), Back straps, fried potatoes, rice and kidney beans, spagetti (cook the noodles at home and refrigerate. Warm them up in camp), potato and macaroni salad, oatmeal for breakfast with some applesauce and or peanut butter mixed in.

Lunch was sandwich meat and chips, apples and oranges as well as trail mix. the latter made for trail and stand snacks.

You can get pretty creative if you have the ability to haul and cook. I hunt with my father and Brother-in-law. They are quick to dog me about all the food choices though they are the first at the table. Coming from a couple of guys that went on a 4 day hunt with 4 Mountain House meals between them, (they almost starved) I take it with a grain of salt.

What is on your list now? If you like peanut butter, try the Jiff to Go. Small one serving packages you can put in a day pack and eat on the stand.

Last edited:
The 4 mountain house meals for 4 days thing is pretty funny. When I was in high school abuddy and I went on a fishing trip with almost no food telling each other we would just eat what we catch. After getting skunked for 3 days and only eating trail mix we finally gave up and drove about 75 miles to a Taco Bell and stuffed our faces.

I am used to DIY backcountry hunting but this trip is my buddies first time on an archery elk hunt. The unit we are hunting (NM Unit 15) has a lot of road access so we will be living it large with a camping trailer. I was just curious what other guys grocery lists look like. Just out of curiosity.

I usually pack MRE's and freeze dried foods. This trip I will bring the Dutch oven for sure. It will be the first time in quiet a few years that I haven't hunted out of a backpack.

meat and potatoes or pasta at base camp, if backpacking mountain house for dinner and granola bars and dried fruit for snacks and for lunch peanut butter and jelly or tuna salad (premade packets) both on tortillas as that is what works best for me packing wise. both places don't forget to have a few pieces of candy or something sweet for after meal and those toothpick things; nothing more annoying than a piece of meat stuck in your tooth and your 6 miles from the truck and your hands are blood covered and nasty and your picking at a tooth.

Last year we made hobo dinners ahead of time. We made them up, froze them solid the they lasted all week. Easiest way to a good, hot meal in camp. Come back, throw one on the fire and get ready for the next day. By the time they are done, you're ready for tomorrow and there are no dishes to clean.

Beer.
My buddy used to be a chef so i leave him in charge of the meals and snacks. Generally anything that wont fall through the grill. Always something small in the backpack for that just in case situation. We never really do any "backpack hunts" so i dont have to buy for that.
and beer

snacks usually consist of GORP variations with crasins. Breakfast is usually bars as none of us tend to be morning eaters and we get out early. Lunch is some variation on sandwiches or wraps with a replenishing drink. Dinner is actually cooked, with most dinners being premade at home with game meat (our arsenal currently is WT, muley, goose, chukar, pheasant, elk and wild pig), frozen and then thawed. We bring some schnaps (which only gets opened if someone is successful) and we each buy a cheap 12 pack at the lil store in the closest town to the mountain. Oh yeah, plenty of water.

My Elk Camp Menu

Dinner

1M Chili
1T Hamburgers & Fries
1W Roast Beef with mashed potatoes gravy and corn
1TH Tacos
1F BQ Ribs with baked potatoes and corn
1S Ham with potatoes and green beans
1Sun Hot Beef Sandwiches & Mashed potatoes, corn
2M Spaghetti and garlic bread
2T Rib eye Steaks with Fries or baked potato?
2W Pork Chops and Sweet Potatoes
2TH Slum Guey & Rolls
2F Hamburgers & Fries

Breakfast

French toast and sausage
Pancakes and Sausage
Biscuits and gravy and Hash Browns
Scrambled eggs with ham and potatoes
Eggs, Bacon and hash browns

Make Room!!

I'm coming to your camp! are you making the fries in the oven of the camper or are you frying them outside? Your breakfast sounds pretty intensive but good. We are up and out early and don't have time for your menu.

Sounds like you have a great meal plan!

I will be adding a discada to the arsenal this year. Need to practice my stir fry technique on the wife before season starts though. I'm thinking some variation on a pork, beef or chicken stirfry with veggies.

The #1 thing I see missing from these menus is "fresh elk tenderloin" from today's kill. That's what I'm talking about :hump:

Slum Guey

What is Slum Guey?

Slum Guey, is something my brother in law and I had at a friends Deer camp 40 years ago.
and my brother in law is gone now, but it is something he always liked, so I put it on my menu every once in a while just for his memory.
It is Denny Moore beef stew with sliced up polish sausage cooked in it.

I have a Generator in my camp so I use a electric deep fryer for the FF .
And I prep as many meals at home and vacuum seal them and freeze them.
there is a freezer in the front of my Cargo Trailer that I bring our food out in, and the Elk home in.
I do all the cooking in my Wall Tent, except for what I cook on the Grill.

Breakfast is really more like brunch some where between 11- 1. in the morning we just have a English muffin with peanut butter and coffee, and shack on candy bars & granola bars while we hunt.

Kevin

I like this thread as I am about to start making a shopping list for my upcoming elk hunt. I figure plenty of oatmeal for breakfast. Probably PB&J for lunch and various items for dinner. We have plenty of beef steaks in the freezer from butchering a bull that need to be eaten so we will probably have steaks a couple nights. May make a pot of chili and freeze. Maybe tacos/burritos one night.

Now a serious side. I really don't see an issue with basic MRE's. They are actually not that bad. Some pretty good, except the Omelet w/Ham. Save up the TP for a couple of days before taking this on. I was in Battalion Warrior Training, at Quantico, the day Saddom invaded Kuwait, and as a Warrant Officer, I got the left overs (for 10 days) of what my Marines didn't want. (Chesty Puller: Mules 1st, Privves next, etc,,,,,,guess where I was in that food chain?)

RCW's (Rations, Cold Weather) are even better when on a hunt. Mo' calories, mo' crunchy stuff, mo' high energy drinks. Strip it all out of the bag and don't worry about what you eat, or drink when, just consume all of it by the end of the day.

Last edited:
There's a lot to be said for peanut butter and bacon wrapped in a tortilla with a handful of trail mix for a mid morning snack before lunch when you're a ways from camp

2013 Elk camp cooking-

IMG_1211_zpsd3b001f1.jpg

IMG_1185_zps87acc699.jpg

Fired grilled deer back strap (one inch in thickness) covered with artichoke/jalepeno dressing garnished with radish sprouts, linguini noodles with canned clams, diced garlic and onions that was cooked in butter.

Attachments

• 2014-08-07 21.26.57.jpg
    2014-08-07 21.26.57.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 715

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back