Caribou Gear

Preferred food in camp

When I am in hunting camp,I get up at o-dark-thirty,fill my pockets with breakfast stuff,pack a lunch and I am off,not returning until dark that evening. Dinner is usually something I heat in a can on the wood stove.Who wants to cook a big meal in the dark and have to do up dishes and cleanup. Of course I have a dutch oven and some good food,just in case I take a part day off or get weathered in . Am I the strange one here?

Last edited:
When I am in hunting camp,I get up at o-dark-thirty,fill my pockets with breakfast stuff,pack a lunch and I am off,not returning until dark that evening. Dinner is usually something I heat in a can on the wood stove.Who wants to cook a big meal in the dark and have to do up dishes and cleanup. Of course I have a dutch oven and some good food,just in case I take a part day off or get weathered in . Am I the strange one here?
I wouldn't say your strange, as that's pretty much how my elk hunts are. Unless I take a day off, cooking is generally limited to heating water for a Mountain House or popping open an MRE. That said, if someone wants to hang around camp and do some cooking I'll eat it! :D

Thought i was good

Man I thought I was good at camp cooking until guys like Worm show up from Iron Chef Elk Camp! The heart tacos look good too.

Slum Guey sounds like a tradition that will be passed by many members of the family. Might have to give it a try and toast your Brother-in Law before the first bite. Thanks for sharing!

ANYBODY that can tollerate MRE's is a better man than I.

Gunner mention the omlet with ham from back in the day of dark brown MRE's. In a case of MRE's it was MRE #4 and NOBODY wouold eat it. I saw a newsletter article during the Storm about how Soldiers and Marines where burying a toxic time bomb in the desert that would be unearthed by future generations. The substance was so toxic that even generations in the future the substance would not have lost any of its toxicity. The substance? MRE#4.:D

What's a hobo meal?

Individual meals for cooking on the coals. Take pieces of beef (cubed roast or 1/2 of a chopped steak) potatoes, carrots season with salt and pepper. Double wrap in foil sealing tightly. Throw it in a bed of coals for 45 minutes turning once. remove and let stand 5 minutes, open and enjoy.

You can put anything you like in it really. You can cook fish the same way but don't put butter in the foil as it will burn while cooking. Use lemon slices or a little juice instead.

Last year we made hobo dinners ahead of time. We made them up, froze them solid the they lasted all week. Easiest way to a good, hot meal in camp. Come back, throw one on the fire and get ready for the next day. By the time they are done, you're ready for tomorrow and there are no dishes to clean.

I've made these before, but never prepared and frozen ahead of time. What ingredients do you put in yours?

What's a hobo meal?

A meal wrapped in tinfoil, tossed over a heat source and cooked is the short answer.

But, what we did what slice up a bunch of peppers, onions, sweet potatoes, russet potatoes and marinate slices of beef and chicken. We took the ingredients and layered them into individual tin foil wrappers and packaged them up and froze them.

Google hobo dinners, or hobo meals and there are lots of examples out there.

We just created an assembly line and had them all built in about an hour

In camp we just built a fire and tossed them on, you can do this with a campfire as well, but you need a bed of coals. The stove here makes this process nearly instant cooking.

On the night we do our steak night (prior to opening morning) we cook up what we call sheepherder spuds.
Sizing is for one of the small portable propane grills- Lay out two layers of heavy foil, throw down six slices of bacon (the good thick stuff), dice up roughly six large taters, at least a medium onion and mix together with the taters, sprinkle a couple of tablespoons of your favorite bouillon over the top, plop to two large tablespoons of butter on to top it off. Takes roughly a half hour to cook, so we do it prior to the steaks.
Serve with sour cream. Serves about five guys. IF we have any left we save it for morning, throw it in the frying pan and mix in the egg scramble.

Maybe I'm the odd guy here, but I don't like to eat heavy when I know I am hiking a long way. I like veggies, fruit, etc. I also like to drink lots of water. For the day in the field I like sausages, nuts, carrots, etc. If we have a big meaty meal, I want it to be fresh meat from kills, and on the last night before going home.

This is last year's back at camp success dinner.

That day's Moose Steaks and Brussell Sprouts basted in butter and cayenne pepper.

Both were dipped in A1 sauce and washed down with copious amounts of DoubleHaul IPA.

Granted, camp for me is a cabin with a BBQ.

If you can bring anything. Bring DoubleHaul.

Attachments

• steaks.jpg
    steaks.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 163
When I'm hunting with friends I usually make red and green chili and stew to share. When I'm hunting by myself it's MREs, SPAM, and peanut butter with bacon

Sounds like me when I'm in charge of camp. I usually don't even build a fire, just boil some water on the stove. I'm always looking for the quickest easiest option that I can choke down.

If you are in a camp with a cooler available and not out backpacking, one thing that works quick and easy is to make up quart size meals in ziplock bags and warm them up in boiling water. Eat it right out of the bag like a mountain house meal and clean up is a breeze.

Now if someone else is in charge of cooking I sure do like it. My friends wife comes along and runs camp sometimes and that is sure a treat.

Wow...I need to hunt with you guys, some great camp food there. I have always done a DIY backpack hunt for 5-7 days and I get most of my calories from mountain house meals, which are good at first but get pretty hard to enjoy come day 6 or 7. A blue grouse may have fallen into my camp fire from time to time :) I also pack chocolat meal replacement powder. It tastes great with water and has plenty of calories for a quick breakfast or lunch. Other than that I stick to oatmeal, energy bars, gatorage powder, and as many candy bars as I can stuff into my pack :).

Back