Preference/Bonus points Montana

I believe 8andcounting is correct, per the website. Per the rule: If 76% of applicants have pref-points than you could draw and someone with a pref-point will not.

It's actually kind of an ingenious rule if you think about it, as western hunting continues to grow in popularity this will have a mitigating effect on point creep.

I don’t think NR tags in Montana will ever get to the point where you can’t draw atleast every other year . Hunting In Montana is so piss poor after all I dunno why anyone would apply

I don’t think NR tags in Montana will ever get to the point where you can’t draw atleast every other year . Hunting In Montana is so piss poor after all I dunno why anyone would apply
You been drinking with BuzzH?

I mean, 10 years ago no one would have believed pronghorn hunting in WY would be as popular as it is now. I know people love to hate on Montana and sure game management isn't as good as it is in other states, but it's still pretty phenomenal... my last year as a resident I killed an elk, pronghorn, bear, turkey, and a whitetail.

I believe 8andcounting is correct, per the website. Per the rule: If 76% of applicants have pref-points than you could draw and someone with a pref-point will not.

View attachment 102108
Thanks, I found the same on page 3 of the regs. Seems like they should also reference this under the preference point section later in the booklet.

You been drinking with BuzzH?

I mean, 10 years ago no one would have believed pronghorn hunting in WY would be as popular as it is now. I know people love to hate on Montana and sure game management isn't as good as it is in other states, but it's still pretty phenomenal... my last year as a resident I killed an elk, pronghorn, bear, turkey, and a whitetail.

Sarcasm may have been involved

Where did u find this?

dmandoes,,,, The quoted 2018 states came from a MOGA power-point presentation and they received the info for the MTFWPs. MOGA has always been provided the latest nonresident hunter stats from the MTFWPs. Sometimes the info is never available to the general public at all! But hey, MOGA kinda runs the MTFWPs anyway, so just follow the $$$ if you want to find the info!!!

I wouldn't bother with the preference point unless you plan on hunting within the next 2 years. If you go 2 consecutive years without buying a pp you lose it/them. Since MT allows you to buy a pp at the time of application, I don't personally see any value in building pps as long as it take 0-1 point to draw a general license.

If we eventually get to where it takes several points to draw the general licenses, that would obviously change things..
How many preference points can I carry as a nonresident. If I’m hunting 3 years out, can I carry 3 preference points?

Hey all, so this is the first year I applied in montana... do I have to check online or will I get an email? Or snail mail? Just curious how I find out if and what tag I drew or didnt?
Thanks

Hey all, so this is the first year I applied in montana... do I have to check online or will I get an email? Or snail mail? Just curious how I find out if and what tag I drew or didnt?
Thanks
Can check online - drawing is in 2 weeks - week of April 22

So if I read the regulations correctly, you can buy a bonus point each year to hunt limited draw units and you don't lose those points if you hunt a general area with a combo license every other year with one preference point? Am I missing something?

Last edited:
If I buy a preference point this summer, will I lose it if don't apply for next years draw? Or can I just buy another point next year and apply for 2021?
I believe as long as you buy a point each year they accumulate, at least this is how the bonus points work.

As long as you buy a bonus point each year they accrue you don’t have to actually apply in the draw.

I have skipped a year in the past and not lost my points. I think if you skip 2 you lose them. The way tags are getting though, I think I'd buy one each year just in case you need them.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back