Preference/Bonus points Montana

Joe700

I think I know the answer to this but just checking since Montana draw seems a little confusing...

If I am not able to hunt Montana this year but just want to build points, then I want to apply for pref and bonus point? Not the general tag and if I get it then I dont take it? Assume option 1 the most economical?

Yes. To clarify:

PP: this is the point for the license.
BP: This is for the permit in limited entry areas.

Don’t apply for anything if you don’t want to hunt this year . Just go back online in July and buy a pref and bonus point . July - end of September they are available on Fwp website

I wouldn't bother with the preference point unless you plan on hunting within the next 2 years. If you go 2 consecutive years without buying a pp you lose it/them. Since MT allows you to buy a pp at the time of application, I don't personally see any value in building pps as long as it take 0-1 point to draw a general license.

If we eventually get to where it takes several points to draw the general licenses, that would obviously change things..

NR's must actually apply for the combo the following year after buying a preference point or you will lose it.

Also I don't think it was too long ago that you were guaranteed a WY general tag with 0 points, this is no longer the case. It appears that is where MT is heading in the next few years based on the last few years.

NR's must actually apply for the combo the following year after buying a preference point or you will lose it.

Yep. The first year I applied in Montana I bought the preference point for $50. Then I didn't apply for a general tag the next year and that preference point went away. Unless you plan on hunting the general tag next year I wouldn't buy a preference point.

I think the big game combo will always be pretty high success rate . $1100+ is a lot of money to most folks . The deer combo will be the toughest to draw . Be interesting to see if any folks with pref points get denied this year

Also I don't think it was too long ago that you were guaranteed a WY general tag with 0 points, this is no longer the case. It appears that is where MT is heading in the next few years based on the last few years.

Didn't realize that. I bought my teenage son points last year. He will not be putting in for a general tag this year. So he will lose his pref point? Can he buy another one this summer and stay at 1 point?

Straight from page 19 of the 2019 regs:

Preference points accumulated will
be used during the current drawing
whether you purchase an additional
preference point or not. Any
accumulated preference points are lost
after two years of not applying for a
Nonresident Combination License

Straight from page 19 of the 2019 regs:
Is the combo license mentioned the deer & elk combo for $1100 or is the combo the elk/fishing like in Wyoming and Colorado? I'm thinking about both me and my dad applying in Montana this season but ponying up $1100 each for an elk/deer is kind of expensive for tag soup.

Last edited:
Is the combo license mentioned the deer & elk combo for $1100 or is the combo the elk/fishing like in Wyoming and Colorado? I'm thinking about both me and my dad applying in Montana this season but ponying up $1100 each for an elk/deer is kind of expensive for tag soup.

The PP is good for the deer combo, elk combo, or big game combo, whichever you apply for.

I wonder if it’ll be 100% draw with pref points this year ! I’m gonna go on a limb and say no . Especially not for the deer combo . Big game combo I’m guessing and hoping it will be since that’s the draw I’m in.

I applied for a deer combo and sure hope to draw. I purchased my first point on application and believe that point will be used in the draw.

Reactions: LCH

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back