Predatory wildlife question

Hangar18

I have been in a heated discussion with some folks about lawful and unlawful methods of killing a coyote. In looking through the Idaho Statutes, I have not found any restrictions whatsoever for predatory wildlife, which the coyote is classified as. Can someone lawfully run a coyote down with a motorcycle, ATV, snowmobile, etc., and kill it this way? Am I missing something?

This question is not about ethics, ranching, protecting livelihoods, etc., just facts.

Hangar- I'm not sure about Idaho but I spoke to a Game Warden at the Regional Headquarters in Missoula and he said the only illegal method of taking a coyote is by air (out of a plane or helicopter). He said that has to do more with FAA regulations than taking of the coyote. He said (although very unethical) you can take a coyote by running them over with a snowmobile. He did say there may be some forest service regulation, but on state lands, there are no illegal ways other than in the air.

Would this even fall under USDA jurisdiction since all wildlife supposedly belongs to the State?

I'm guessing Idaho is the same as Montana in this respect. Predatory wildlife looks to be excepted from any state wildlife regulation.

I Agree - very unethical.

Hangar- The warden I spoke to made it very clear that the law only apply to coyotes on state or private land. He also said there were probably different laws when it came to FS lands. Since he doesn't have jurisdiction on Federal lands, he said to call the FS or Federal Game Warden...He made it sound like there were Federal laws that prohibit some methods of taking coyotes when they are on federal lands but did not say anything specific about it. It may be that there are regulations of where snowmobiles, atvs etc can go on federal lands and where they can be used.

roflmao

Now that has to be one of hte funniest things I've seen in awhile...roflmao

I can't find anything on it in the regs.

I agree about it being unethical too.

Call the f&g office down there.

ethical coyote hunting

That's an oxymoron if I've ever heard one.

Right up there with ethical prairie dogging or roo shooting down under.

I have an impressive movie file on this subject, driving 55 across a pasture, steering with the right hand, and blasting a running yote out the window with the left hand with a shotgun. No snowmobiles, not enough snow that year. Also, ATV tires are too soft, good to pack a .22 or shotgun.

Blasting prairie dogs and kangaroos by the hundreds isn't really hunting either.. but it sure does beat playing checkers.

True, but at least they are killed quickly. With a sled, you have to run a yote over quite a few times to kill it. They usually just pop up out of the hole you put them in with the sled and start running again.

Greenhorn- Everything has an ethical way of doing it. When I called the Fish and Game, the Warden made it very clear what the difference was. There is a right way and a wrong way. One makes others not hate you and the other makes others hate you. One provides ammunition and a way for "the anti- crowd" to condemn hunting and get others to condemn it also. It isn't an oxymoron as any moron knows the difference.

Matt, A coyote won't get any more mercy from me, regardless of any ANTI crowd's thoughts. I'd rather shoot one in the ass and have it run off and die over the course of a week, than make a clean miss. Predator control.. If you don't like it don't do it.

By the way, I swerve for prairie dogs on the road.

You can thank the warden for his definition of ethics. Guess we shouldn't hunt at all. Regardless of how you do it, it will make someone hate you.

Greenhorn- If you say shooting something in the ass is ethical, you better get a better definition. If more people think the way you do, I can see why so many people are against hunting out there. I may make some pretty shitty shots but I don't feel good about them in any way shape or form. I guess that would be the difference. No animal should suffer, whether I like that (type of)animal or not.

The warden was merely pointing out the difference in right and wrong vs. legal and illegal. It's legal to be an asshole, it's just not ethical. It's legal to be a racist, it's just not ethical... see the differences in meaning.

Well I guess if showing no mercy to coyotes and praire dogs makes me an unethical asshole... then I'm guilty as charged. :D Good thing you weren't on the Austrailian shooting trip I went on a few years ago... EVERYBODY down there is an unethical asshole.

So tell me, does a coyote suffers longer getting whacked 4 times by a sled than a bobcat does with a broken leg in a trap for 2 days? Are all trappers unethical aholes?

I sort of brought this conversation in from another board. After many opinions back and forth on the subject, the main point being that it may give the snowmobiling community a black eye, I came to the conclusion that if it is legal, that is all that matters. If another group, be it anti-snowmobiling or anti-hunting, uses LEGAL activity as some of their propoganda then they are plain ignorant.

I am not one to judge anyone based on differences in value systems. That is personal and I respect it. If I were to stand and watch someone else do this, and I have a few times, I am not one to tell them that I think it is wrong. All I am saying is I won't do it. That's all.

The only asshole is the person that calls another an asshole for having and sharing their opinion.

Sorry, you guys, but if you're going to kill something the only ethical way to do it is as quickly, cleanly and humanely as possible. Anything that causes the animal needless suffering and pain should be avoided.

Wouldn't you teach any new hunter that?

Would you torture an animal?

I know trapping is necessary, but that should also be done as humanely as possible.

Hangar- I didn't call anyone, anything. I merely said it is legal to be an asshole. You can take that for what it's worth. I do have issue with unethical hunters. It is legal to shoot an animal 20 times in the ass. It is legal to shoot at an animal 500 yards away and wound it. I have issue with both. I like a clean sport. I like to see ethical hunters. I will speak out when I see something that isn't right (not just hunting).

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back