Prairie Mule Deer Questions

Ttannahill14

Hey guys!

I'm heading out to northwest Kansas next week for my either species rifle deer tag. Mule deer will be the target as I live in the central part of Kansas with plenty of whitetails and no mulies. First time mule deer hunter... I've seen them on elk hunts but never had a tag in my pocket.

Done plenty of e-scouting, I've driven through this part of the state before so I know the overall geography.

My game plan is this... mainly just seeing if this is a decent game plan or if anyone would be doing anything different.

I have 3 large (5,000-10,000) acres of public picked out. Mainly big pastures it looks like with big draws/canyons running through them. Some have ag fields on them but I will not know what was planted or if alfalfa until i get out there. All 3 have food, water, and what looks like nasty canyons away from roads. I can get 1-2 miles away from a road which is super far for Kansas.

I'm leaving my house Tuesday morning first thing, should get there about noon. Scout those 3 fields from the road and/or easily accessible glassing knobs. Try to find out what the deer are hitting and figure out their bedding preferences. With the data I gather Tuesday I'll be up on a glassing knob first thing Wednesday morning (opening day) in one of those 3 pastures overlooking ag fields hoping to glass a buck up.

My one questions is this, for mid-day hunting... what's the best strategy for finding bedded mule deer? I have one canyon that runs north and south... Wind will be out of the northwest, I was planning to sneak along the east edge of the canyon, glassing west.

Thanks in advanced, Happy Thanksgiving1

You have a good plan. I've chased them around Nebraska a bit and sometimes use the same strategy. When you work the canyons try to work from the south to the north in a NW wind. I continually glass as far up the canyon. This will help you spot them before they spot you. Work very, very, very slow when doing this. It will be easy to move too fast and get spotted. Try to use any kind of cover such as cedar trees to help prevent getting skylined. Good luck!

Solid plan. Glass little benches and just below the canyon edges for bedded deer. Look for good grass/forbs down in those canyons too. Post-rut and especially if it’s cold they’ll often be up and down all day feeding in those little out of the way spots where they feel secure.

Awesome thank for the advice. I'll start a live thread once I get on the road.

Back