practice ????

DKO

how often do you shoot????????? im talkin practice shooting your bow!!!! everyday, once a week or two weeks before season????

my shooting schedule is at least three times a week all year long and during the season i try to shoot every day especially in camp! i believe alot of shooting and knowing how your equipment will react in different situations is the key to consistent accuracy also its the very best way to overcome target panic!

so fess up guys and gals how much do you shoot your bow????? also how do you practice any special techniques or methods please share!

my favorite method is the "soccer ball", im sure you all have seen these type targets they look like a soccer ball and i usually just kick it around the yard or woods and shoot its very similar to stump shooting, it helps judge distance and simulates a real hunting situation, shooting over and under trees and through brush etc....

------------------
"in the Spring we Strut and in the Fall we Rut"
ff1158a8.gif.orig.gif

[This message has been edited by DKO (edited 01-03-2001).]

I just try to get out as much as possible, but I do shoot more right before and during the season. The only 'practice' strategy that I have is to shoot at a higher draw weight than I hunt with. Hardly even have to move the sights, but it is like lifting weights. Allows me to draw smoother and hold longer during the season.

I shoot every day. When the weather is nice I shoot outside, but on those cold snowy days I shoot in the basement. As for special types of shooting I try to as many 3ds as possible. When shooting in the basement I do a lot of blind shooting to ensure a smooth release. During hunting season is when I usally shoot the least.

I usually start shooting about July.Then I will shoot every day until deer season comes in.

------------------
Hunt hard and prosper.

After the last archery season is closed and I fondle my Darton lovingly for a having such a good season, I put a new string on it, clean and lubricate the axles, and check the cables, rest and other accesories.

After putting the bow back together, I shoot a couple times a week during the winter. Come March (one month out from turkey and bear season) I bump it up to 3-4 times a week. This includes practice from real posistions, kneeling, sitting, elevated stands.

3-4 practice sessions per week continue through the summer until August (one month out from Elk season). I bump it up again to daily sessions from real life situations.

Come elk season, I'm confident of my ability to consistently put all 5 arrows into 6" from 5 yards out to 80 yards.

The close yardage practice is overlooked a lot. I had a two point buck at point blank range totally unaware of me. I had seen him coming and was already at full draw when he stopped a mere 10 feet away. Trying to look through the peep and put my 20 yard pin on him cost me that deer. From then on, I've practiced at close ranges. At 0-10 yards I change anchor points and look down the arrow. From 10 yards out I use sights.

The confidence a person has in his/her capability with th weapon, be it archery, rifle, blackpowder is a must. It can only come through practice.

Back