Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Powder scale frustrations... any recs on better or tips

A few things to try first for an erratic scale (some of this has been said before but I don’t feel like putting a bunch of @‘s in here to acknowledge folks, sorry in advance).

Line conditioners are great but prohibitively expensive (hundreds of dollars...like the ones on high end sound equipment). Ferrite beads come close to accomplishing the same thing for just a few dollars. Static electricity will ruin your day. The scale must be on a solid, level surface. Having the scale against an exterior wall can cause fluctuations due to temperature changes. Your cell phone can mess with them (again static). And under a heat or A/C vent will make them erratic too.

My RCBS crapped out on me last year (it would climb for days when left on) so I decided to bite the bullet and get a real scale. I settled on an A&D EJ123 ($300) because I couldn’t justify spending twice as much on an A&D FX-120i ($700), which is known as the best reloading scale made. My new scale measures to 0.02 grains so I can weigh to the individual granual if I want. And it weighs up to 1850 grains, which is helpful for loading TSS shotshells. The FX-120i can be hooked up to an auto thrower mechanism so it functions like an RCBS chargemaster, but throws to the 0.02gr....oh and it actually works, unlike my chargemaster.

If you are interested in talking to a shop that REALLY knows scales call Old Will Knott’s in Denver. They’re local and can make recommendations based on the accuracy you need and the budget you have.

Last edited:
I double measure all my charges, run em out of a charge master light first then double check on a rcbs beam scale. Pretty fast and really accurate. I trust the speed of the CM and digital scale but the accuracy of the beam.

I like Grandpa Gunblue490’s perspectives. You can watch how fast he throws and trickle-ups 10 charges at 23:00 (<2min). Made me change my desire for a CM.

I like Grandpa Gunblue490’s perspectives. You can watch how fast he throws and trickle-ups 10 charges at 23:00 (<2min). Made me change my desire for a CM.
I love this guy’s channel, have followed him for years. And he has a system that works slick, but saying mechanical scales have zero error is not scientifically accurate. And saying +/- 0.1 means three tenths error is not accurate either.

Again, either path works. To each their own. No need to use fuzzy math to favor one over the other.

Probably just at the beginning range of usefulness with a ferrite choke as @Mthuntr noted (or a power conditioner).
Dang it. I recently bought one, loaded several hundred rounds on it. Initially checked every round against my balance beam, then every tenth then I quit testing except for first and last. It’s been plus or minus a tenth but I’m a little disappointed in that I may look forward to the same problems that caused me to give up electronic scales years ago. I’ve checked I can get a ferrite choke on Amazon. Definitely add that. I’ll also go back to checking against my ancient balance beam at least one in ten.
I have a very good selection of check weights, enough to get me very close to what ever load I’m working on. Is it better to verify the scale is accurate with say 50 grains or use the large brass check weights and verify it’s at least starting out accurate to say 250 grains?

Dang it. I recently bought one, loaded several hundred rounds on it. Initially checked every round against my balance beam, then every tenth then I quit testing except for first and last. It’s been plus or minus a tenth but I’m a little disappointed in that I may look forward to the same problems that caused me to give up electronic scales years ago. I’ve checked I can get a ferrite choke on Amazon. Definitely add that. I’ll also go back to checking against my ancient balance beam at least one in ten.
I have a very good selection of check weights, enough to get me very close to what ever load I’m working on. Is it better to verify the scale is accurate with say 50 grains or use the large brass check weights and verify it’s at least starting out accurate to say 250 grains?

If it works and checks out then it should be good. The ferrite is worth the $5 and good to be mindful of other noise sources even with an expensive one.

In general it is theoretically better to test with weight as close to charge as possible, but in practice anything in the ballpark should show drift or lose of calibration.

The accuracy of the load cell in an electronic scale goes up with price. You get what you pay for. Lab grade scales require lab grade calibration weights. Resolution can be deceptive. Some digital have resolution to the hundredths, but are not as accurate as a scale to the tenth. Purchase a scale brand not a reloading brand. Ohaus, Sartorius, etc. If you are expecting accuracy.

If you're wanting superb accuracy from a digital, you are definitely going to need to open up the wallet. I stick with a beam, but after trying a friends A&D fx-120i and checking it against my beam I would be comfortable using it. But those are definitely not cheap (lowest I've seen them is $500).

Everyone has pointed out a lot of good methods to minimize environmental influences on the scale, fluorescent lighting always seems to mess with them.

The accuracy of the load cell in an electronic scale goes up with price. You get what you pay for. Lab grade scales require lab grade calibration weights. Resolution can be deceptive. Some digital have resolution to the hundredths, but are not as accurate as a scale to the tenth. Purchase a scale brand not a reloading brand. Ohaus, Sartorius, etc. If you are expecting accuracy.
Do these brands tend to make scales that measure in grains?

Get rid of the battery operated scales and go to an analog/balance beam scale

If your scale can be plugged in get a Ferrite Choke on the power cord. I have to use one on my RCBS chargemaster because the lights in my reloading area is poorly wired and the fluorescent light/ballast messes things up. Mine will drift as much as 0.1 grains regularly before adding a choke and letting it "warm" up for an hour

is the ferrite choke just that round barrel on cord?

It might also be worth noting that even the calibration weight for a 0.02gr accuracy scale is $85. Making a weight that is 100g +-0.0005g is expensive.

But the scales do come calibrated from the factory.

Last edited:
What scale do you have? I have a brand new chargemaster lite I have yet to use.
A&D EJ123. It’s as accurate as the A&D FX120i but it’s slower to stabilize and can’t be hooked up to an auto-thrower. It was a good compromise for me.

I don’t remember which Chargemaster I had. It’s somewhere in a landfill in Colorado at the moment.

I’ll also point out that 0.1gr accuracy, or even less, will still shoot excellent in most applications. So it’s not lost on me that part of the rabbit hole I went down was precision for precision’s sake, because that’s the kind of confidence I want in my rifle and ammo while I’m hunting.

Sure, but a beam scale is better.

#science
I've got an old Bonanza beam scale from about 45 years ago and still works good. I check weight of a bullet every so often and it's still weighing good. Also a few years ago I picked up a little battery operated unit from Grafs that does pretty well; it's only drawback being +/- 0.2 grain sensitivity.

I use a Lyman digital scale. I power it up a day ahead of time and calibrate. I double check the first few powder charges. Works for me.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back