Potential SCOTUS Nomimee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't ever given it any thought. I will have to do a little research before I can participate in an informed discussion on the subject.

It's currently on the ballot in Alaska

Maine uses it state wide.

General idea being you rank your choices.
Person 1.
1. Trump
2. Johnson
3. McMullin
4. Clinton

Person 2.
1. Clinton
2. Johnson
3. McMullin
4. Clinton

Winner - Johnson

Essentially the highly polarizing candidates get kicked out. It would force candidates to appeal to moderates not party fringes.

The major parties don't like it because it could dramatically open the door to third party candidates.

Good candidates are out there. For the Wyoming House of Representatives I got to vote for either a guy with a DUI or a guy who told me he had no platform.

But that still is the point Noharleyyet was making. Voting does not just happen every four years in Nov. Regardless of when one votes noharleyyet was indicating that the choices we are given are not all that great. You hold your nose and vote at the primary and again in Nov. etc etc.

Look at what happens to the people the media dont like or the other party dont like, look at what happened at the last Supreme Court hearing.

Who wants their children in the audience hearing an exaggerated ( or possibly it never even happened ) event played out in crude details about something you may or may not have done when you were 16. 17. 18 years old.

Good people are saying, thanks but no thanks to public office.

Who wants to be a police chief in Portland, Seattle, New York, Chicago, now. Defund the police!!! ---- but ask them why they didn't respond when you called them because of a trespasser in your back yard. They are probably downtown trying to stop a riot, or maybe they have taken early retirement, in mass, since their are some out there trying to murder them.

Good people dont want to serve, so we hold our nose and pull the lever

I get what you are saying and I think that you are correct.

My point is, would we be to the point where good people do not want to serve if the general population would stop consuming the agenda driven media of the day? If the media didn't get the views and clicks that it does it would not hold so much sway. It would either change into something people wanted to see or cease to exist.

The fact that the media and the politicians are what they are says to me that the American people as a whole, or at least those willing to participate, are getting exactly what they are asking for.

So how do those of us who are fed up with the current state of things break through and bring about change?

Until we are in the majority and willing to speak out, I don't think we can.

Person 1.
1. Trump
2. Johnson
3. McMullin
4. Clinton

Person 2.
1. Clinton
2. Johnson
3. McMullin
4. Clinton

Winner - Johnson

Essentially the highly polarizing candidates get kicked out. It would force candidates to appeal to moderates not party fringes.

The major parties don't like it because it could dramatically open the door to third party candidates.

If it would cause office holders to be more centrist I would be all for it.

I truly believe that President Trump does not wake up one morning and say who he will nominate. I believe there are many advisors and recommendations from other people in his circle that he relies on. Then there is a vetting process to decide who is the right person. Unlike with bought people like the Clinton's, Obama and Biden who listen to whomever contributed lots of money to them. They had to do what they were told or no more riches. And it scares people that President Trump doesn't have to and won't follow the political influences. Just because it is a nomination from Trump, don't mean it's going to be a bad person for the job.

But that still is the point Noharleyyet was making. Voting does not just happen every four years in Nov. Regardless of when one votes noharleyyet was indicating that the choices we are given are not all that great. You hold your nose and vote at the primary and again in Nov. etc etc.

Look at what happens to the people the media dont like or the other party dont like, look at what happened at the last Supreme Court hearing.

Who wants their children in the audience hearing an exaggerated ( or possibly it never even happened ) event played out in crude details about something you may or may not have done when you were 16. 17. 18 years old.

Who wants to be a police chief in Portland, Seattle, New York, Chicago, now. Defund the police!!! ---- but ask them why they didn't respond when you called them because of a trespasser in your back yard. They are probably downtown trying to stop a riot, or maybe they have taken early retirement, in mass, since their are some out there trying to murder them.

Or, for example what is happening already this time around https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...ract-anti-catholic-smear-of-amy-coney-barrett
(I have only read the article above, not the one it is referencing.)

What exactly makes a choice "great"? Is there such a thing? The reality is most people don't understand the issues enough to make an educated and informed choice on them. Ever since I can remember people have said they hated the choices (including me). Highlighting the previous point of cognitive dissonance. People say they want change, but are afraid of change. Stuff is complicated so Americans vote for what they want to be true rather than what is actually true. When pointing out the obvious conflict between those two, the default response is "it sounds good for me and that is all that matters". Cases in point- Any tax cut, "saving coal", "simplifying taxes structure", creating jobs jobs jobs. We are all being played for fools to some degree.

I'm sure if you put out a job posting for police chief in any of those cities you will get plenty of resumes.

I truly believe that President Trump does not wake up one morning and say who he will nominate. I believe there are many advisors and recommendations from other people in his circle that he relies on. Then there is a vetting process to decide who is the right person. Unlike with bought people like the Clinton's, Obama and Biden who listen to whomever contributed lots of money to them. They had to do what they were told or no more riches. And it scares people that President Trump doesn't have to and won't follow the political influences. Just because it is a nomination from Trump, don't mean it's going to be a bad person for the job.

Try telling that to the "anything from Trump=Bad " crowd. They remind me a lot of the " anything from Obama=Bad crowd" that came before except for where they fall on the political spectrum.

Person 1.
1. Trump
2. Johnson
3. McMullin
4. Clinton

Person 2.
1. Clinton
2. Johnson
3. McMullin
4. Clinton

Winner - Johnson

I am a fan of trying anything new. But money drives everything, so changing the status quo is a monumental task. Term limits might be an easier place to start?

Trump has 91% turnover in top positions, that definitely influences the process.

That said I agree, just because trump appointed them doesn't mean they are a poor candidate for the job.

I find it concerning that Barrett was elevated twice in 3 years by the same president. Contrast this with Justice Sotomayor who was nominated to the Southern District of NY by Bush and then Obama to the Supreme court.

Trump has 91% turnover in top positions, that definitely influences the process.

That said I agree, just because trump appointed them doesn't mean they are a poor candidate for the job.

I find it concerning that Barrett was elevated twice in 3 years by the same president. Contrast this with Justice Sotomayor who was nominated to the Southern District of NY by Bush and then Obama to the Supreme court.
So you're implying Barrett is Manchurian'ish....

Great point...

However I really don't think the 91% was all due to "poor recommendations" and are contributed to other reasons as well. And it may just go to what I stated, "President Trump doesn't have to and won't follow the political influences". The President has the right to hire and fire those who are not meeting the expectations. We don't always know what expectations. Could be inability to get the job done or for leaking information.

Great point...

However I really don't think the 91% was all due to "poor recommendations" and are contributed to other reasons as well. And it may just go to what I stated, "President Trump doesn't have to and won't follow the political influences". The President has the right to hire and fire those who are not meeting the expectations. We don't always know what expectations. Could be inability to get the job done or for leaking information.

Buck stops here? , you either made chitty hiring choices which is your fault or you created a toxic work environment that good people couldn't stand... also your fault. Can you imagine taking a job at a company with those kinda numbers of glassdoor, 91% turnover with I don't 30%+ torching the place in the reviews.

So you're implying Barrett is Manchurian'ish....

Not in the slightest. Simply that I still hope for impartiality on the bench, historically President's nominees have been confirmed by massive margins. What happened to 90+ votes?

These are the outliers.
Gorsuch
Kavanaugh
Alito
Thomas
Bork

1600879154751.png

Ajricketts : Exactly ! Get ready Catholics, your about to be dragged through the mud.

Saj-99: Police chiefs : maybe, but it will, without a doubt be a "damned if you do and damned if you dont", experience. To me, the defund the police movement is one strange movement. The same people who are asking for it, would yell "911" in a New York second, if them or their family were in danger

Shangobango: The media IS much of the problem IMHO. I have no idea if these percentages are correct but it would not surprise me if 80% of the populace were capable of having dinner together and not only having a discussion but coming to an agreement they could live with on all or most issues. But the 10% on the extreme right and left create the headlines AND the media feeds off of that and expands on it AND adds their "opinion" to it ( or worse -they "slant" the coverage to fit their agenda ) this is not news, but it is what we hear. A week or so ago I saw a news broadcast and the fellow was saying the protests are mostly peaceful, BUT there were buildings burning behind him in his on location news cast.

I will go a bit further. I remember when Obama was elected and there was no riots because of him being elected. I also remember when he made a Supreme Court nomination. Again no riots when he made his choice. I have heard and read that there are already people saying if Trump gets re elected, they will "burn it all down" The outrage of his Supreme Court choices are a bit beyond the pale IMHO. I say this to say there are young Americans ( like myself ) talking and even when we believe in some of the issues the Left believe in, we are more and more not liking what they stand for and how they are acting. I can not image tellingly my father that if I didn't win at any of the things I participated in, I would burn it all down. To be honest and fair he also would have never let me call people names, like Nervous Nancy, Sleepy Joe, etc.

Just last night approx 25 of us "young voters" attempted to look at the issues and decide what we thought would be best for the country, obviously in our opinion, before we vote, but if everything we discussed doesn't go our way, we did not say, we would burn it all down, or that we would go to someones house and chant obscenities or take money away from those who are paid to protect us ---

At this point many in the group who were not Trump supporters, said they hope he wins, simply because of what has been thrown at him. Russia Russia Russia--o.k. no Russia Impeachment Impeachment Impeachment --o.k. no impeachment And we ( young voters ) think it is outlandish how the media treats his wife.

Honestly, If I was him, I would take my Billions to Florida, and play golf ---- who need the aggravation ;)

At this point many in h group who were not Trump supporters, said they hope he wins, simply because of what has been thrown at him. Russia Russia Russia--o.k. no Russia Impeachment Impeachment Impeachment --o.k. no impeachment And we ( young voters ) thing it is outlandish how the media treats his wife.
- Point of order, he was impeached.

Ajricketts : Exactly ! Get ready Catholics, your about to be dragged through the mud.

Saj-99: Police chiefs : maybe, but it will, without a doubt be a "damned if you do and damned if you dont", experience. To me, the defund the police movement is one strange movement. The same people who are asking for it, would yell "911" in a New York second, if them or their family were in danger

Shangobango: The media IS much of the problem IMHO. I have no idea if these percentages are correct but it would not surprise me if 80% of the populace were capable of having dinner together and not only having a discussion but coming to an agreement they could live with on all or most issues. But the 10% on the extreme right and left create the headlines AND the media feeds off of that and expands on it AND adds their "opinion" to it ( or worse -they "slant" the coverage to fit their agenda ) this is not news, but it is what we hear. A week or so ago I saw a news broadcast and the fellow was saying the protests are mostly peaceful, BUT there were buildings burning behind him in his on location news cast.

I will go a bit further. I remember when Obama was elected and there was no riots because of him being elected. I also remember when he made a Supreme Court nomination. Again no riots when he made his choice. I have heard and read that there are already people saying if Trump gets re elected, they will "burn it all down" The outrage of his Supreme Court choices are a bit beyond the pale IMHO. I say this to say there are young Americans ( like myself ) talking and even when we believe in some of the issues the Left believe in, we are more and more not liking what they stand for and how they are acting. I can not image tellingly my father that if I didn't win at any of the things I participated in, I would burn it all down. To be honest and fair he also would have never let me call people names, like Nervous Nancy, Sleepy Joe, etc.

Just last night approx 25 of us "young voters" attempted to look at the issues and decide what we thought would be best for the country, obviously in our opinion, before we vote, but if everything we discussed doesn't go our way, we did not say, we would burn it all down, or that we would go to someones house and chant obscenities or take money away from those who are paid to protect us ---

At this point many in the group who were not Trump supporters, said they hope he wins, simply because of what has been thrown at him. Russia Russia Russia--o.k. no Russia Impeachment Impeachment Impeachment --o.k. no impeachment And we ( young voters ) think it is outlandish how the media treats his wife.

Honestly, If I was him, I would take my Billions to Florida, and play golf ---- who need the aggravation ;)

I think we're going to see more of this in the coming years. People will look at high level public positions, including federal, state, local, police, EMT's, etc. and say, "No thanks, not worth having every skeleton in my closet that closely examined." Hopefully other good people step up and feel it's worth the scrutiny and slander, but I have my doubts.

I have done plenty of things in my life that I'm not proud of, and have since sought forgiveness and repentance. I would be horrified if they all came to light. It's enough to drive someone to suicide (which I also think we'll see more of).

Person 1.
1. Trump
2. Johnson
3. McMullin
4. Clinton

Person 2.
1. Clinton
2. Johnson
3. McMullin
4. Clinton

Winner - Johnson

After reading up on it I find it very interesting.

While it doesn't guarantee the more centrist candidates get elected it seems to up the odds.

- Point of order, he was impeached.

like Clinton was , but neither were convicted. God forbid, If I am ever arrested for something and during the trial for whatever I was arrested for, I am found to be not guilty. Then I m not guilty and we all move on----

However, this was brought up in our meeting and someone said, Clinton got something, for his Impeachment :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back