Posting Unit #'s to Public Forum

• Thread starter Deleted member 52847
  • Start date

Is posting Unit or Area #s in Public Forum overall helpful to the hunting experience we all cherish?

• Yes

Votes: 21 11.9%
  • No

Votes: 127 71.8%
  • I don't know

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • It doesn't matter because I'm not hunting that unit anyway

Votes: 13 7.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can appreciate your perspective, but you paint with a pretty broad brush. I have scouted small amounts multiple times in a unit I've applied for the last decade. If I ever draw, I'm pretty sure I'd appreciate some pointers from folks with experience during hunting season. I wouldn't dare scout during season for fear of ruining someone's hunt, so in your mind I'm one of those shortcut junkies.
There’s an appropriate method asking for insight that doesn’t include broadcasting a unit though. If I were fortunate enough to draw a tag in a state/unit I had never hunted I would certainly contact locals privately.

How are we talking about snowboarding vs skiing now?! 🤣
Wait, I thought this place was a whole bunch of shit talking, guys searching for intel a month before season, and @Beaver Hunter making us all look bad (either with the animals he kills or the links our wives catch us clicking on)

Didn’t realize there was hunting stuff and information to learn. Crazy!

Wait, I thought this place was a whole bunch of shit talking, guys searching for intel a month before season, and @Beaver Hunter making us all look bad (either with the animals he kills or the links our wives catch us clicking on)

Didn’t realize there was hunting stuff and information to learn. Crazy!
personally I’m here for the rational back and forth discussions around gun ownership, the economy and political parties. Didn’t even realize we could ask hunting questions

Alright...I've gotta know if I'm the only one who thinks posting unit #'s, giving unit specific information and suggestions on the public forums is a bad idea/borderline unethical.

I feel like in today's day and age, we've got more tools at our disposal to learn about units or areas, we've got satellite images, can break terrain down into 3D, etc. It's easier than ever before to scout.

Then you've got the good ol fashioned boots on the ground research and scouting.

I'm all for helping folks out, especially when they have put time and effort in, and when its through a PM. However, I really dislike the specific info in unit #s.
my Outlook for what it’s worth is to help my fellow man as much as possible! I ve always believed it would come back to me in spades!

Mt Emily. Wenaha. Trout Creek Mountains.

Every year on iFish those units get their own threads. 50-year-old men draw those tags after accumulating 20-25 points, then ask for scouting details, and it's adorable.

Just watch YouTube, every ridge in Mt Emily has been captured as digital "content."

Those are the people that I'm not gonna give info to I guess, if you're not serious about it then 🤷‍♂️
There’s something about hunting that makes people really territorial and aggressive.
I’ve been yelled at while hunting, never really while skiing or biking.
I’ve also never been woken up by 50yo mountain bikers at a Koa at 1am because they’re “sick for it” and “trying to make themselves uncomfortable” or “working a little harder than the next guy” or being 1% of the people that kill 10% of the elk 🙄

Hunting just makes people act really odd.
It probably has evokes some type of primal response because of its relationship to harvesting food and makes grown men act like children.

How amazing was the recent stone glacier film where that dude had been working really hard, making himself uncomfortable, hiking to cool places, sitting down and looking through binoculars all day, picking out “his” buck and then, when he was super hunting 6 ridges away, looking through a 6 figure spotter, planning a covert military action on the deer, those homies just walked right in and shot it. 😂 😂 😂
Super tough uncomfortable guy was almost in tears 😂

There should be much more of this. Dont stop at just the unit #... f'n pikers.

Guy draws tag asks me for help. I show him a spot, excellent spot for 180" + buck, maybe with a bit of luck a 210"+ buck. He drives but won't let my dog ride...(STRIKE 1, should have cut him loose right then!). I show him T/H walk up the trail show him knobs for glassing various drainages. Show him discreet but close camping spot. Only thing lacking is a good water source.

I give him a call on the 2nd day of the season and he's back home already. He didn't "waist his time on that spot" cause a guy he met on the internet who was truly "dialled in" to that area told him actual good spots to go.

Went home late on day one cause after driving around with the window down there was no shooting to be heard and that verified that the unit holds virtually no game worthy of his points expended. It was a waste of his time and effort.

One small example out of bunches confirming that "internet advice" is superior to 30 years of worn out boots advice.

Even better are those that argue "that spot cant be worthy of my time cause CPW doesn't even mention it on their website". One guy screamed at me "go turn on your computer I can show you on the CPW website where you are just WRONG".

this after I had just been there the previous week and it was loaded with green poop and reeked of elk, and not a boot print defiled the dirt.

I just smile and cash the check, knowing the boys panniers won't get too bloody, and they dont.

Frustrating and usually stupid? Yes. Hard to call someone unethical for doing it though.

I have been loving the whining of the new "hunters" on some of the Facebook pages I'm on. "It's so hot in August!" "I keep getting busted at 100 yards!" "You can't sneak in on pronghorn with a bow!" "They're not rutting yet!" "There's too much water out there, they're not hitting the water hole!"

It's almost like hunting is hard and the videos don't do it justice.

I have successfully planned/hunted units without tippy tapping a single word on forums, just reading/confirming information available through the first pages of a google search. That is a bit concerning to me if people wisen up a bit and actually start doing research, instead of being spoon-fed information. Until then, there are probably enough of us who remain tight-lipped to thwart their half assed plans.

I have been loving the whining of the new "hunters" on some of the Facebook pages I'm on. "It's so hot in August!" "I keep getting busted at 100 yards!" "You can't sneak in on pronghorn with a bow!" "They're not rutting yet!" "There's too much water out there, they're not hitting the water hole!"

It's almost like hunting is hard and the videos don't do it justice.

I have successfully planned/hunted units without tippy tapping a single word on forums, just reading/confirming information available through the first pages of a google search. That is a bit concerning to me if people wisen up a bit and actually start doing research, instead of being spoon-fed information. Until then, there are probably enough of us who remain tight-lipped to thwart their half assed plans.
This is an interesting point Thomas. I've often accused a lot of the younger generation (not all!) of being over informed and have much less practical experience, in this day and age. They grew up in a world with computers and asking the WWW anything/everything if you have a questions. When it comes to hunting, especially urban folks who have little connection to nature and no one to ask, they just pop in and ask online. Maybe they don't realize it's not acceptable, yet not knowing how else to get answers.

Just a thought.

But to be honest, back when I was sick for it, I’d search the unit # I was planning on going to every week on all the major forums hoping nothing had popped up 😂
How did you pick which unit and area you were going to go to? That always blows my mind. I’m boring and stick with what I know most of the time.

How did you pick which unit and area you were going to go to? That always blows my mind. I’m boring and stick with what I know most of the time.
First trip, where I actually killed an elk was based on travel time and the unit having a higher success rate than the areas I’d successfully hunted here in Illinois.
And because guys on the internet said it was treacherous terrain and you know I’m an elite bow hunting athlete.
Everything else was based on master wllms recommendations more or less.

Hunting just makes people act really odd.
It probably has evokes some type of primal response because of its relationship to harvesting food and makes grown men act like children.

How amazing was the recent stone glacier film where that dude had been working really hard, making himself uncomfortable, hiking to cool places, sitting down and looking through binoculars all day, picking out “his” buck and then, when he was super hunting 6 ridges away, looking through a 6 figure spotter, planning a covert military action on the deer, those homies just walked right in and shot it. 😂 😂 😂
Super tough uncomfortable guy was almost in tears 😂
I want a link to this 🤣🤣

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back