PEAX Equipment

Posting Unit #'s to Public Forum

• Thread starter Deleted member 52847
  • Start date

Is posting Unit or Area #s in Public Forum overall helpful to the hunting experience we all cherish?

• Yes

Votes: 21 11.9%
  • No

Votes: 127 71.8%
  • I don't know

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • It doesn't matter because I'm not hunting that unit anyway

Votes: 13 7.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The real gems and sage advice most people blow right by. I have actually had people get mad at me when I gave them excellent info on a unit I have done well in over the years. They still think I’m holding out and that there is some secret spot that unlocks all success.
Been there done that on the having people think you are holding out. Kind of hard to avoid on the Custer these days. If I am going to give out advice today I ether say a little about everywhere or you give me specifics on where and how you want to hunt and I will tell you what I think of your plan.

I have no problem with sharing if it is the hard to draw units. The general tag units, I think most have learned to stay radio silent and it is probably a good idea.

Overall it seems the amount info sharing online has declined dramatically over the last 10yrs. Now we just argue about things.
Amen.

After doing my own research on what states/permits to apply for I find those requests really irritating and lazy. Each hunter needs to have their own time invested into their preparation because how would any of their outings be meaningful if someone just pointed you to a waypoint?
I think many people who resort to this shortcut are probably not prepared for the work and discomfort that comes with big game hunting in the west. They probably don’t have motivation or patience to get out more than the first time when the advice didn’t produce the amazing result that had hoped. I can say from experience that dedicating more time to preparation will help a hunt stay in the field longer too. I supper giving these posts all the sarcasm and nonsense we can muster.

Honestly, who gives a shit?
“Hot spotting”
Come on.
Get a life.
I’ve seen first hand the effects it can have. It’s all fun and games until your deer hunting, or in your case cougar hunting gets blown up. It’s best to keep things off the internet because when you bag a trophy cougar everyone else wants to as well and the next thing you know there are no cougars, or deer left.

i have posted so many times elk pics and said unit 100, i have never hunted 100 (WAY overated unit). If you lazy enough to consider taking a random internets strangers word on a years old thread, you deserve to be misled. Many people on this site i have given waypoints and lots of access info, those dont get shared as public reading.

I hate that I commented on a unit thread that I hunt every year. But I have made some friends out of it through the process. I don’t give up anything easy. The more they contribute the more thoroughly I will answer a question. At the end of the day I hunt zero-1 point units and play the pressure anyways. Maybe o give them intel and use them to my advantage as they pressure the animals right into me. 🤷‍♂️

Who knows, if you’re a good hunter a little intel isn’t going to make that much of a difference. If you’re a crappy hunter I can send you waypoints and you still probably won’t kill anything. A waypoint and how to access that waypoint without scaring off all the animals are two totally different stories.

I can never tell with you whether your just trying to stir the pot or not. But either way man, it's pretty undeniable the effects that spot burning have on hunting. Just in general, spot burning from a hiking, mtn biking, climbing perspective, it takes away from the experience for me.

I love/hate climbing 14ts because of this. Even trying to find a trail in any of the counties in CO that you could find some seclusion is becoming increasingly difficult.

The who cares attitude is one that will eventually lead to more apathy on the part of hunters, which isn't a good thing.
I’ve just never really been a fan of the way newbs get shamed for info and I’m not really sure how much of an affect it really has.
And yeah man, Colorado and the rest of the west is just really played right now for a lot of different reasons.
I honestly think the best thing you can do for the west and the natural world right now is just live in the Midwest and make your own adventure.
Biked 40mi tonight on a 20mi trail system and saw 2 other people.
Also saw the same 3 turkeys chilling at the top of where heaven and hell meets trail 6 that are always there in the evening and they’d better smarten up or they’re gonna get mirked come October.

I’ve just never really been a fan of the way newbs get shamed for info and I’m not really sure how much of an affect it really has.
And yeah man, Colorado and the rest of the west is just really played right now for a lot of different reasons.
I honestly think the best thing you can do for the west and the natural world right now is just live in the Midwest and make your own adventure.
Biked 40mi tonight on a 20mi trail system and saw 2 other people.
Also saw the same 3 turkeys chilling at the top of where heaven and hell meets trail 6 that are always there in the evening and they’d better smarten up or they’re gonna get mirked come October.
And then go out west and spend the whole winter slumming it and tracking out the fresh powder lines…

Different strokes for different folks.

Some stroke a lot more often than others. I’ve heard that type of person really enjoys using the word cuck even when it doesnt fit the case at hand.

Worried about the wrong things. No secrets in todays hunting world.
I’m not worried about much I already got mine. I would like to see my nieces and nephews see a glimmer of what I got to see.

After doing my own research on what states/permits to apply for I find those requests really irritating and lazy. Each hunter needs to have their own time invested into their preparation because how would any of their outings be meaningful if someone just pointed you to a waypoint?
I think many people who resort to this shortcut are probably not prepared for the work and discomfort that comes with big game hunting in the west. They probably don’t have motivation or patience to get out more than the first time when the advice didn’t produce the amazing result that had hoped. I can say from experience that dedicating more time to preparation will help a hunt stay in the field longer too. I supper giving these posts all the sarcasm and nonsense we can muster.
I can appreciate your perspective, but you paint with a pretty broad brush. I have scouted small amounts multiple times in a unit I've applied for the last decade. If I ever draw, I'm pretty sure I'd appreciate some pointers from folks with experience during hunting season. I wouldn't dare scout during season for fear of ruining someone's hunt, so in your mind I'm one of those shortcut junkies.

And then go out west and spend the whole winter slumming it and tracking out the fresh powder lines…

Different strokes for different folks.

Some stroke a lot more often than others. I’ve heard that type of person really enjoys using the word cuck even when it doesnt fit the case at hand.
Funny a snowboarder would be accusing someone else of scraping.
My friends in the medical technology industry that I rode the Reso lift with one day last year would say the pot’s calling the kettle black.

But you’re a native, you get a pass.

I just hope some of the other guys on here realize home’s where you make it.

Funny a snowboarder would be accusing someone else of scraping.
My friends in the medical technology industry that I rode the Reso lift with one day last year would say the pot’s calling the kettle black.

But you’re a native, you get a pass.

I just hope some of the other guys on here realize home’s where you make it.
I wasn’t referring to the type of turns you made or the amount of snow you were pushing. I started skiing before I could walk, switched to snowboarding at 10, but have thrown on a pair of skis and telis over the years a few times just to win a few bets. I could care less what anyone has on their feet as long as they can rip. I know of a handful of people that I would hit the slopes with, about 50/50 ski/board.

I was referring to the following:

“And yeah man, Colorado and the rest of the west is just really played right now for a lot of different reasons.
I honestly think the best thing you can do for the west and the natural world right now is just live in the Midwest and make your own adventure.”

Just seems like an interesting stand to take when you spend your winters in the places you are bashing!

Definitely agree with home is where you make it. Enjoy it all and encourage others to do the same! Life is too short to get pissed at other people for any reason. We can only control our own thoughts, feelings, and emotions. Letting other people get the best of us is comical.

Troll on!

Def shaming is not the best way to handle it.

Don't see anything wrong with telling a new "adult onset hunter" who's looking for specific info on a unit, "hey man, maybe a suggestion is to do your research on the unit, from escouting to as much boots on the ground as your circumstances allow, then maybe ask a forum like - seeking general info on hunting southwest or northwest CO during x season" - that isn't shaming to me.
Some people just don’t take it that seriously and it’s just a random website to them.
99% of the people I know have no idea any of this western hunting story do even exists.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back