pop up camper in snow

VAspeedgoat

I have decided to camp for my first mule deer hunt this fall. It will be mid to late october at appriximately 7000 ft. I have been told to expect snow but its anybody's guess how much. While I can adjust my destination if the snow has fallen before my hunt, if I were to get a big snow I'm not sure how it will hold up to the weight on the vinyl/canvas pull outs. I'm hoping someone has some experience with this or has some advice. The camper is a flagstaff off road version so I feel confident in getting in and out within reason. Just not sure about that weight. Oh, I will be running a buddy heater also, but I don't think it will have the output to melt it. Thanks.

I'd think that with a regular cleaning off you should be fine. That said, I probably wouldn't hurt to rig up a tarp to keep most of it off. A cheap blue tarp and some paracord would be inexpensive insurance.

We were in a popup the week of Thanksgiving last year outside of Craig. We ended up getting about a foot and a half in a couple of days and temps well below zero at night, the camper was fine. I would make sure and take a broom to knock it off just in case of a big dump.

I'd be more worried about CO poisoning in there from the buddy heater than the snow. If you are getting more snow than a broom and tarp can mitigate than its time to get to lower elevation as not to be stranded.

I have a heater buddy and CO poisoning is always on my mind. Be careful.

What about a tarp to throw over the camper and tie it down then you can drag the tarp off with the snow on it, shake the snow off and then put it back up there. Seems like a quick, semi-easy way to deal with it.

I had an old pop up camper, you had to lift the top up by hand, and was hunting here in MT when we got about a foot of snow. I did have tarps over the ends which helped with the snow sliding off and keep some of the heat in. When I went to drop the top down it took everything I had to keep it from coming down too fast because of the weight on it. Other than that it did fine, and I ran a propane heater in it. Not too worried about co or lack of oxygen because most popup campers don't seal very well, so there is plenty of fresh air. I did not run the heater at night just to be on the safe side though. :rolleyes:

John

I used one on my first elk hunt. My biggest thought would be to put a tarp around the base of the slide outs to keep the wind from freezing your but off! Makes for a nice place to store stuff also. John

I too would be concerned about the CO poisoning. It is amazing how many fishermen pass away every winter here in MN using them in their ice houses. Some are sealed pretty good, others not as much. i used to get migraines using propane in my portable and switched to kerosene which seemed to be much better. Now that I have a smaller ice house I did go back to propane and the newer heaters are not as bad as the old sunflower I had. I know the heater in the old Winnebago I had was propane but well ventilated. Electric and a generator outside might not be a bad option either.

tarps and a cheap battery CO detector. the tarps are nice also for the insulation factor plus some snow will just slide off if support it right, additionally you got some weather proof storage.

Back