Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

POLL: when was the last time you went to a drive-in movie?

TomTeriffic

For me, it was in early 1978 and I was 13 then. The whole family went in the station wagon. The speaker was hung on the car window. The films, double feature, were called "Audrey Rose" and "Coma".

Earlier on in history, my family went to some Oscar flms at drive-in theaters as well: Patton, 2001, West Side Story, The Godfather. A couple of the orginal Planet of the Apes films, Charleton Heston/Roddy McDowall/Kim Hunter, were seen in the "motor theaters". It wasn't all teenage B-rated crap but there were a bunch of cheap movies at the drive-in as well. Classic example, Bigfoot, 1971, John Carradine. They would play cartoons between features as well. Concessions were advertised on screen during intermissions. There was one for a barbecue beef sandwich with a cartoon of a guy dressed in a cap and gown. Families also could have baby bottles warmed at the concession stand of some drive-in picture shows. They were family-oriented back in the 60's and 70's.

Last edited:
We had one on the outskirts of town, it closed about 10 years ago. It was a hell of a deal, they charged $6 per car and they played 2 movies per night. Ours had a radio signal that you would tune in with your car stereo. We went there a lot in highschool when we didn't have much money to spend.

You talking about vintage flic night . . . or consummation? If the latter, you've a damn good memory.
My family went to drive-ins. My older brother and I were in the car. The German shepherd was in back too. I never went to a drive-in with a lover. I don't know about all that necking stuff. To me, it was all about the content of the film. We saw Bedknobs and Broomsticks at the drive-in as well as the AristoCats and Willie Wonka. My family went to drive-in pictures steadilly from 1968 through 1978. 1975 was the only year in between we did not go to drive-ins. In 1975, we went only to a walk-in theater instead. We say Westworld and Young Frankenstein at the walk-in picture show. In 1974, my family saw Mel Brooks' Blazing Saddles at the drive-in. My brother and I laughed to death at the campfire fart scene.

We had one on the outskirts of town, it closed about 10 years ago. It was a hell of a deal, they charged $6 per car and they played 2 movies per night. Ours had a radio signal that you would tune in with your car stereo. We went there a lot in highschool when we didn't have much money to spend.
A double feature for only 6 bucks. None of the drive-ins my family went to tuned in by radio. They always had a speaker to put in the window of the automobile. Some even had a portable heater unit to hang on the car window as well for wintertime. We were in sunny lowland California. No snow. Don't remember any rain at the drive-ins. I'm not sure they would even play films during rainy or inclement weather. You did not get fancy stereo/hi-fi/surround sound/Dolby at the drive-in, of course.

My family went to drive-ins. My older brother and I were in the car. The German shepherd was in back too. I never went to a drive-in with a lover. I don't know about all that necking stuff. To me, it was all about the content of the film. We saw Bedknobs and Broomsticks at the drive-in as well as the AristoCats and Willie Wonka. My family went to drive-in pictures steadilly from 1968 through 1978. 1975 was the only year in between we did not go to drive-ins. In 1975, we went only to a walk-in theater instead. We say Westworld and Young Frankenstein at the walk-in picture show. In 1974, my family saw Mel Brooks' Blazing Saddles at the drive-in. My brother and I laughed to death at the campfire fart scene.
TT..Bedknobs and Broomsticks ?
Ouch.

Last summer. We've got a drive in theatre right down the road. Totaly awesome.

It's probably been 2 or 3 years. We have one still around in town. Double features on Friday-Sun all Summer.

have one about 35 miles from my house thats still open in the summer-early fall

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back