Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

POLL: when was the last time you went to a drive-in movie?

Last to my recollection would have been 1980 when I was 17 the summer I graduated high school. I took some chick that went to my cousins high school I met at a party.
She had a sort of a sorted reputation of having hot pants after getting caught the year before banging one out with one of the younger male teachers. Her reputation was not undeserved or unfounded as I found out. By that time i had been with plenty of girls but not one that aggressive. I was getting so much heat from my mom and my aunt about her that dad suggested he that he understood the attraction but I might consider going back with one of my tamer girlfriends for the rest of the summer until I went off to college. That was one wild July.

last one for me was in the mid 90’s. Place was packed every Friday and Saturday night. The best part was the advertisement for the snack bar. It was a big old pink hot dog man jumping into a lady bun and then hearts all around. Everybody would start hooting and hollering and laying on car horns.
Pretty sure most kids in that valley were a result of the drive in movies.

If one of those three you mentioned is the one on the south side of Ocala, that's my dad's old stomping grounds. I never knew it was there and still functional until we drove out south of town one day last summer. Pretty cool.
Yes it is

As a kid, used to go to MALLETS BAY (Vermont) Drive-in with my DAD...Rebel without a cause , was last movie I saw there.
Border drive-in, Quebec on one side of the road and Ontario on the west side of the road.
about 1970-71. It was an ALL NIGHT Dusk till dawn... usually a case of beer ....was fun.........

For me, it was in early 1978 and I was 13 then. The whole family went in the station wagon. The speaker was hung on the car window. The films, double feature, were called "Audrey Rose" and "Coma".

Earlier on in history, my family went to some Oscar flms at drive-in theaters as well: Patton, 2001, West Side Story, The Godfather. A couple of the orginal Planet of the Apes films, Charleton Heston/Roddy McDowall/Kim Hunter, were seen in the "motor theaters". It wasn't all teenage B-rated crap but there were a bunch of cheap movies at the drive-in as well. Classic example, Bigfoot, 1971, John Carradine. They would play cartoons between features as well. Concessions were advertised on screen during intermissions. There was one for a barbecue beef sandwich with a cartoon of a guy dressed in a cap and gown. Families also could have baby bottles warmed at the concession stand of some drive-in picture shows. They were family-oriented back in the 60's and 70's.
There's still one active outside the small town I grew up in in southern CO and we go in the summer and take the kids. That whole area is kind of like a time capsule though doesn't change much.

Actually went a couple times last summer. There’s one maybe 45mins from my house that operates April-October. It was usually a double feature and a ton of fun. Saw the new Top Gun and some girly movie my wife was excited about.

Got one about 35 miles Northeast of us but haven't gone in a long time.

Saw “The Mario Movie” and “ Guardians of the Galaxy 3” with the family over Memorial Day weekend at the Kanopolis Drive-in Theater in Kanopolis, KS. $33 for 3 adults and 1 child. We take our own snacks, but bought popcorn from the concession stand. Lawn chairs by the tailgate with a boom box for sound. The theater broadcasts the audio over FM Stereo Radio rather than the little speakers hung on the window. Took the ball gloves and played catch until it was too dark, and then sat down and enjoyed the show. It’s been a nice cool spring and the lack of moisture has kept the mosquito population down, so it was a really nice evening.

About a 45 minute drive from the house a late night when we stay for both movies, but a reasonably priced, fun family outing. We would probably go more often, but the movies aren’t always appropriate for my youngest. Before we moved back to KS, we would go with friends to the drive in in Midland, TX.

Sometimes we have our own drive in in the back yard. Hang a sheet off the back deck and stream a movie through a projector. Equally fun, no crowd, and no late night drive home.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back