Point strategy for newbie

BT_NVhunter

This will be my first year starting to build points as a NV resident. However I have never been on an elk hunt. My question is to those experienced hunters, if you could go back to my situation would you A) save points for a difficult draw even though I may not elk hunt for a few years. B) try to get a tag as fast as possible to give it a try and see if I like it I’m struggling with this as a NV resident because I know the opportunity for amazing hunting is here but with the waiting period if I try to get a tag as fast as I can I might draw a tough hunt and then not be able to go in state for Seven years.

I personally would put in for the hunt you wanted to go on and when I didn’t draw would do an OTC hunt in Colorado to get experience. I’ve been trying to get an Arizona elk tag and am learning elk hunting in other places while I get the enough points to draw. That way I don’t get a glory tag and have no idea what to do with it after waiting 10+ years. I got that idea from BigFinn and Corey Jacobson on the ElkTalk podcast. That is a great resource for understanding the different opportunities out there.

As a Nevada resident, you are in a good situation. I would consider putting in for everything. If there is a species you do not want to really hunt now, put in for points, or better yet, shoot for the moon and put in for the best five units and maybe you'll draw and be glad you did.

The quality of elk in NV is amazing. Check odds, find what you want, and hunt cows or other states in the meantime as suggested above. I do not think there are any bad draw units for elk.

Keep in mind that NV takes all five of choices into consideration before going to next applicant. That is a big part of the strategy.

How does that work with cow tags if I draw a bull tag I get taken out of the cow tag draw correct? Or is the cow draw first and if I draw there then I don’t draw in the bull draw and is it the same with the spike tags??

How does that work with cow tags if I draw a bull tag I get taken out of the cow tag draw correct? Or is the cow draw first and if I draw there then I don’t draw in the bull draw and is it the same with the spike tags??
It is a seperate point pool, but I am not up to date on sequence of draw for residents and how that works and if one effects the other.

Ya I have a really good friend who’s worked for Ndow for 30 years he’s helped me a ton with getting into fly fishing teaches a basic fly tying class stuff like that real good guy if anyone ever goes through elko make sure to swing by and drop a couple bucks on him at the elko fly shop :) anyway I am going to see him tomorrow and I have a list of questions on the hunting draw stuff lol. I’m sure he’ll answer all my questions about anything when I tell him I’m finally ready to buy the Simms waiters I’ve been eyeballing for a year thanks guys I’ll follow up with anything that gets answered by him on this thread.

This is late but I'm new to the forum. Residents have a better chance of drawing tags. I drew an archery bull tag in 2020 with only 4 bonus points. It was pure luck. I had an otc Utah hunt already planned so I applied for the 5 hardest to draw units in Nevada and I drew my 3rd choice! It's bonus, not preference so there's always a chance. At age 70, that was my once in a lifetime hunt. I'm in the penalty box until 2028. Nevada draws bull first, then cow. I've been buying bonus points for cow for 2 years now so I might be able to draw a tag this year. I hope this helps.

So they do draw the bull first that is good to know that’s the one thing I hadn’t been able to get clarification on.

In addition to what's mentioned (hunt cows/other states), see if you can find someone who has a bull tag that needs help packing and will share knowledge.

What is your hunting experience in general? Hunt something. Utah has OTC cow and bull. Not easy nor high percentage hunts but state is next door. AZ OTC deer isn't far away either if you archery hunt. CO is in range for OTC elk. NV OTC elk as well but pay attention to new rules with quotas.

In addition to what's mentioned (hunt cows/other states), see if you can find someone who has a bull tag that needs help packing and will share knowledge.

What is your hunting experience in general? Hunt something. Utah has OTC cow and bull. Not easy nor high percentage hunts but state is next door. AZ OTC deer isn't far away either if you archery hunt. CO is in range for OTC elk. NV OTC elk as well but pay attention to new rules with quotas.
I haven’t seen any NV OTC seasons or tags listed anywhere? I am planning an OTC CO elk hunt. I’m going to try to hunt cow, depredation, and spike tags as often as I can while building points for AZ and CO may try Idaho in two or three years as well deer I have looked at doing the otc archery because might as well since I have the license to build points. I’ve been offered some help from someone to really help me get started so I’m now just doing research running plans by then. Asking a ton of questions and reading every book I can get my hands on.

Good to know but we shall see what the next five years look like. Well the only reason I’m doing points in CO is to draw a decent mule deer unit. I might as well grab a point for elk who knows what will happen in the future, and I love hunting with my bow but would like to try a rifle hunt as well. Maybe a deer/elk two tags in hand type of trip.

I haven’t seen any NV OTC seasons or tags listed anywhere?
Nevada does not have ANY otc big game hunts.
You can apply for any or all elk hunts but you can only draw 1 elk tag, period.

Keep in mind that depredation elk hunts do not require a waiting period and do not affect any waiting period for other tags.
It sound like you're in the Elko area so those Ruby's depredation cow or bull hunts might be good for you.

Apply for any bull tag you want to hunt as there are really no bad areas. Any area is capable of producing a monster bull. As was mentioned earlier applying for cow tags in the same areas is a good idea to get the lay of the land and they are quite a bit easier to draw, well easier as opposed to bull tags anyway.

Ya that was my main plan and being in the job I’m in I’ve made quite a few connections in some of the ranch areas on the southern rubies. South of Ruby Lake NWR which from what I here is the only real chance for those Ruby dep tags to be filled there is a ton of public land it’s just finding where they are on the public to feed or bed because 90% of water sources not in wilderness areas are on private, obviously minus the guzzlers provided by NDOW. Thanks guys appreciate all the info I will find a hunt one way or another.

I haven’t seen any NV OTC seasons or tags listed anywhere? I am planning an OTC CO elk hunt. I’m going to try to hunt cow, depredation, and spike tags as often as I can while building points for AZ and CO may try Idaho in two or three years as well deer I have looked at doing the otc archery because might as well since I have the license to build points. I’ve been offered some help from someone to really help me get started so I’m now just doing research running plans by then. Asking a ton of questions and reading every book I can get my hands oD
Didn't proofread and typed too fast. Meant ID OTC.

Good to know but we shall see what the next five years look like. Well the only reason I’m doing points in CO is to draw a decent mule deer unit. I might as well grab a point for elk who knows what will happen in the future, and I love hunting with my bow but would like to try a rifle hunt as well. Maybe a deer/elk two tags in hand type of trip.
CO changed their system a couple years ago and dropped the price of preference points but required the purchase of a small game license. If you only apply for one species, the net price went up slightly but I saw it as an improvement because I can now get elk, deer, and pronghorn for only marginal costs for deer and pronghorn after buying elk. My focus is deer and elk but might as well pay a few bucks per year to get pronghorn as well.

Didn't proofread and typed too fast. Meant ID OTC.
Y I think I will try ID that is my mid time goal state. 3-5 yrs from now. I think how I may do it is try to be one of the first on the website Dec release. But may just wait and see if there are any leftover tags if I miss some of the zones I’m interested in.

Back