Podcast - request for topics

Regional hunting ethics would be interesting to hear about. I think it was on a Renella podcast where he briefly talked about how it's normal to hunt deer with dogs in the south. Where I grew up in the NW if you saw a dog running deer to shot the dog, no questions asked, then went and called the game warden to go lecture the owner. I'm sure there's lot of similar examples (i.e. road hunting for forest grouse) to talk about.

Plus one on hunting traditions and ethics. They vary state to state. I know most of the forum are knowledgeable. A review never hurt anyone. Western tradition probably hold true state to state. Eastern tradition are somewhat different, bear drives, hunting with dogs, deer hunting over bait.

I think it would be a good podcast. Let us all know how we are different and how we are the same.

Interesting. I think it would be a good podcast if the person leading the discussion had some insight to hunting practices in other places. I've hunted the following states:

MT, WY, ID, CO, UT, NV, NM, AZ, CA, WA, AK, MN, ND, SD, KS, and IA.

When you look at that, it is very regional. I doubt I would be qualified to provide much perspective to hunting in places like SC, FL, ME, NH, TX, etc. And as such, whatever perspective I would provide might be tainted by the biases we as humans hold toward how we do things. I don't think that would be fair to the discussion. I think there are others who have hunted all the states I have, plus many others, and they would be better qualified to lead such a discussion.

Haven't gone through this whole thread, and the podcast led me to Hunt Talk. Anyway, would like to hear an episode about game processing.

Really enjoy the podcast thus far. I appreciate the voice you are giving to the hunter regarding public lands.

I would like to hear what equipment you guys use,eg optics binoculars,scopes,what cal rifles for different species,ammo, all the gear that makes a hunt!!

Cheers Aussiehunter

I think there should be a podcast addressing skills the average Eastern hunter going west should acquire. We are talking about things like understanding how to quarter, packing a backpack, shooting from improved positions, camping and hiking in bear country. I think a lot of guys overlook the basic outdoor skills that they are more likely to find in a boy scout handbook or talking to an REI employee than watching Heartland Bowhunter.

The NDA

Randy, I really enjoy listening to your podcasts. It's enlightening that you are willing to speak about what needs to be spoken, such as the Don Thomas issue.
I have heard a common theme throughout the podcasts: Conservation organizations need to become more political.
There is a new organization which recently formed over the last 2-3 years. The National Deer Alliance. I attended their summit this past April and I believe that this is the group, you could reference when the aforementioned topic comes up. I invite you to look up the website, and learn about this great new organization. The board of directors is comprised of the CEOs of many of the major players in the deer world. MDF, QDMA, WU, ATA, (and more).
The goal of the NDA is to be the voice of the deer hunter (which there are close to 11 million of?). Each smaller group has its own voice on particular issues that concern them. However, with the concerted voice of millions of members (all deer hunters), the NDA can have a real impact in D.C. Obviously, this is a new organization and they are just getting started. I believe that they hired a President just a couple weeks ago. It will certainly take time for the membership to grow. However, with the leadership being the major deer players, this organization's only direction will be up.
I believe that the NDA has the ability to do great things not only for deer hunters, but hunters in general.
I hope you like what you see as much as I did!
Happy Holidays.

Randy, really enjoy your podcast I know you have tons of ideas.
I would enjoy a podcast on how we can get the younger generation involved in hunting and conservation.
I know with my stepkids it can be so hard keeping them interested, with all the computer games and social media.
I don't pressure them to go and they do go out. I was actually talking to my stepson tonight about going out squirrel hunting. I've been thinking about getting into some tanning. Starting off tanning some squirrel hides and making some stew. He seemed quite interested in the tanning.
Anyhow, a podcast on how we keep the younger generation involved would be interesting.
Again thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule for the Hunt Talk podcast. Very informative.

A review of the expansion of the privatization of hunting permits (landowner permits) across the west over the last two decades or so. Why is the percentage of hunting permits that are private rising dramatically in some states (UT, NM, CO) and why do some states have no private permits (AZ). Should there by no private permits based on the legal status of wildlife as owned by the citizens of each state? What is the trend line for the privitization of hunting permits and should public draw hunters be concerned? What supposed conservation organizations lobby for or otherwise support privatization? How come the huge increase in the asset value of land with wildlife/game over land without is never considered a benefit to landowners such that game commissions, game departments, and legislatures can claim that they have to give private permits and the income to landowners to pay for wildlife benefits. Is western hunting becoming a rich mans sport with outfitter and landowner and "conservation" permits?

How about covering public land issues in the east? I live in WI, and our governor is currently forcing the DNR to sell off 10,000 acres of public land. In some counties, the majority of the public land available is in danger of being privatized.

How about covering public land issues in the east? I live in WI, and our governor is currently forcing the DNR to sell off 10,000 acres of public land. In some counties, the majority of the public land available is in danger of being privatized.

I'm from WI too, and it worries me that all of this is happens and yet most hunters turn a deaf ear toward it. And honestly, there was a point where I did too.

Suggestion for guests and topics

I would love an episode with Cameron Hanes, discussing how you (both you and Cam) balance a full time job, family with hunting and training and ranged time, etc. I think this would lead to some great discussions on how you prepare for hunts and how you make sure other important areas of your life are not neglected.

Also, Wayne Van Zwoll would be a great guest. Just throwing that out there.

A review of your "system" when hunting in a new area. IE your process in using maps and google earth, what to look for, etc. Specifically OTC Elk tag.

I have really enjoyed these Randy and hope you continue.
It is a perfect media for me out here in NM. Winter snowstorm warm inside perfect.
I am a radio guy at times more & more with less & less choice.

Would love a WVZ compaire notes or try and pick his brain more .
Guy is one of the best there is ,ever .IMHO. Well O'connor had a way.

One that might open a can of worms I don't want.
And I know you know is touchy anytime is ranchers/landowners & LO tags & access.
You know me kinda, and I am a landowner now that gets tags.
RMEF guy way before and access issues just like everyone it seems since forever.
I saw a kinda grimmice on your face when I mentioned this having coffee that evening.
Now you are on RMEF board and deal with access & LO issues & ?'s more than ever.
And you still hunt like I do, mostly on public lands, on draw tags.
But an interview with some landowners concerning these tag alotments/access/w input form G&F too might be good. Lotta false stuff from all sides thrown out there it seems to me.
Or a can of worms.

so i have friend who is questioning the constitutionality of federal public land because it is not expressly written in there like the 2nd amendment and im explaining to him public lands is crucial for mantaining the 2nd amendment because without public lands hunters would decline and therefore people who are familiar with guns would slowly decline and therefore support for the 2nd would decline. Any ideas for these kinds of people?

so i have friend who is questioning the constitutionality of federal public land because it is not expressly written in there like the 2nd amendment and im explaining to him public lands is crucial for mantaining the 2nd amendment because without public lands hunters would decline and therefore people who are familiar with guns would slowly decline and therefore support for the 2nd would decline. Any ideas for these kinds of people?

Ideas for them? Yeah, ignore them. They are too dumb and ignorant to understand the Constitution and our form of government.

If you must humor him, ask him to read that Constitution, if he has ever read it to start with. Note here; most these folks I encounter have serious reading comprehension challenges, so asking them to read something can be the end of the discussion. Have him look at all the things he has present in his daily life that are not explicitly mentioned in the Constitution. Then, tell him all of those things are "unconstitutional" under his way of thinking.

Odds are, you are dealing with an ass clown who is benefiting greatly, either indirectly or directly, from things not explicitly mentioned in the Constitution, but is too ignorant and drinking too much "Kool-aid" to even realize it.

I am brutal blunt with these types. I used to try to have some tolerance, but they have evolved to a point where this is a belief system, almost a religious viewpoint, for them and no amount of facts, history, or evidence can change someone's belief system.

Fin,

Love your podcasts and feel a lot more informed about the current issues facing us as sportsman.

Just an idea for an episode, and maybe I missed a discussion on this already. I understand how states such as Wyoming can legally limit non residents from hunting Wilderness areas but how you feel on this issue and to you think there is any room to get this changed if someone challenged the current system?

Fin,

Love your podcasts and feel a lot more informed about the current issues facing us as sportsman.

Just an idea for an episode, and maybe I missed a discussion on this already. I understand how states such as Wyoming can legally limit non residents from hunting Wilderness areas but how you feel on this issue and to you think there is any room to get this changed if someone challenged the current system?

Thanks for the kind comments.

I hate the idea of how WY requires a guide to hunt wilderness areas. It's gubment cheese to one small group of people, plain and simple. Even if it did not negatively affect me and even if I had no interest in hunting, my personal bias is to dislike subsidies, either direct subsidies or indirect subsidies such as that represents.

As to getting it changed; not likely. If people knew what I spend on attorney fees to get opinions on topics I get drawn into, they would think I'm crazy. Topics such this wilderness welfare, corner crossing, specialized tag allocations, etc. Well, I am crazy. Crazy enough to hire an attorney about ten years ago who gave me his professional opinion on the topic.

He argued a very high profile case that is often used as precedent for state discrimination against non-residents. He knows this stuff. His opinion about the WY wilderness law was this; "To try change it would be a waste of your money and my time."

Thanks to a case he had argued, the courts have held that states can do things non-residents find discriminatory. Whether it pertains to public land or private land, wilderness or non-wilderness. If the issue pertains to wildlife allocation, a right held in trust by that state on behalf of its citizens, the courts will rule in favor of the state.

The only way it would ever change is if the citizens of Wyoming wanted to change it. Very unlikely.

That's just part of what comes with the principle this country has of wildlife being held in trust for the citizens of the state; a doctrine I strongly support, even if in this case it results in me having to hire a guide if I wanted to hunt many of the good areas of Wyoming. Such is life and after getting that opinion, I've moved on and never worried about it since. It is the right of Wyoming to do that, whether I like it or not. And if it offends me that much, I do have the option to not apply there as a form of my protest.

The only way it would ever change is if the citizens of Wyoming wanted to change it. Very unlikely.

What if the Federal government stood up(ok I'm dreaming) to the state of Wyoming and threatened to shut down hunting on Wilderness areas if they don't remove the guide requirement for nonresidents?
Could someone sue the Feds to force them?

What if the Federal government stood up(ok I'm dreaming) to the state of Wyoming and threatened to shut down hunting on Wilderness areas if they don't remove the guide requirement for nonresidents?
Could someone sue the Feds to force them?

Feds can't do that. They lack the right to do so. The 10th Amendment would be invoked and used to keep this right as a state right. They own the land, but they don't have anything to do with the setting of Wyoming hunting regulations (yet). And the last thing I would want would be the Federal government thinking they have a role/right to intervene with state hunting regulations.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back