Podcast Episode #2

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys, sorry for the delay in getting this up today. Been back at the Mayo Clinic this week, getting their annual approval to go on another season of hunts. With that out of the way, I figured I better put my time in on Hunt Talk, having been absent most of the last few days.

Podcast #2 just hit the air today. Here is the iTunes link.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hunt-talk-radio-randy-newberg/id1012713381?mt=2

And here is the link on Stitcher.

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/mea...rg-unfiltered-hunting-conservation?refid=stpr

And if you are looking for anything else related to our platforms, go to www.RandyNewberg.com.

This episode, my guest is Bernie Kuntz. Bernie is the hunter on tonight's NM pronghorn hunt. He is a humble guy who knows more about rifles and knives than I ever will. He has a remarkable trophy collection that is even more intriguing when you consider he accomplished it all while working for a very modest wage all of his life.

Besides being a Marine in Vietnam who spent a year doing recon, he is one of the most well-read hunters I know. A writer himself, it is joyful to discuss hunting topics with him. We are starting to lay the foundation of topics and guests for this podcast. Each episode, we dig a bit further into issues. I am trying to find my point of comfort, such as I did when we started the TV show.

I hope you will continue to download these podcasts. Please share the links with your friends and on social media. The best way to get more of this discussion going is to have the podcast get more downloads. That is the end measurement by which most will decide to support the content.

Thanks again for all the great ideas of guests and topics. So much to discuss and so little time to get to it all. These will be released every other Wednesday, with July 29th being the next release.

Appreciate all the support.

Just finished listening.......another excellent job! It's difficult waiting 2 weeks in between episodes but it just makes it all the more better when they do come out! Keep up the great work Randy! Bernie sounds like a really cool guy to share a camp with!

I just listened and I thought it was great! I love hearing from an old timer like Bernie and getting his perspective on modern day hunting issues such as lottery systems, technology and long range hunting. He really seams to have a wealth of knowledge and experience after decades of hunting. It was also great to hear a discussion about the future of hunting and the impact that publicity and increasing popularity will have on opportunities. This is a topic that I often find myself thinking about, but no one else in the industry seems to want to talk about it! Thats why I am really enjoying this podcast and why I believe and hope it will be a big success. Keep up the great work, especially not avoiding the more controversial issues!

Another great podcast episode. Bernie was a great guest, and his personality seemed to come through well.

I liked the bonus points discussion, and some things clicked for me listening to the conversation that really hadn't when reading about bonus points on this site in the past. I really like the podcast format for the exchange of ideas when it comes to hunting.

Finished listening during the morning commute and thoroughly enjoyed. Another great episode. Bernie seems like quite a character with an enviable amount of knowledge and experience.

Just listened to it and it was great. Wondering if you are ever planning on hitting the Montana elk objective numbers for a topic.

Awesome episode. Bernie is a very well spoken and interesting guy to listen to. I thought you guys did an especially good job of breaking down the disadvantages to the point systems.

Just curious, why are you and Rinella up against a time limit on these? It seems like you guys were just scratching the surface on most topics, and it makes it feel rushed. Rinella's also has the same rushed feeling a lot of the time. Why not go for 2-3 hours?

Awesome episode. Bernie is a very well spoken and interesting guy to listen to. I thought you guys did an especially good job of breaking down the disadvantages to the point systems.

Just curious, why are you and Rinella up against a time limit on these? It seems like you guys were just scratching the surface on most topics, and it makes it feel rushed. Rinella's also has the same rushed feeling a lot of the time. Why not go for 2-3 hours?

I agree.With a 2 week gap between episodes I'd sure love to have 2-3 hours to listen to.

Great podcast. Love listening to older fellas that grew up and hunted during the years long before I was born.

You guys were very critical of the long range hunters. I'm a 400-450 yard shooter max on game, although I've busted lots of milk jugs out to 630 yards. The furthest shot I've taken on game was a mule deer at 412 yards in perfect conditions. I understand that it's a slippery slope and where should the line be drawn, because our efficiency is definitely affecting our opportunity regarding draws and seasons.

We hunters on the forums, that fill our tags pretty consistently, get in shape, scout and shoot all summer only make up 25% of all hunters, I’d guess, maybe less. I would bet most of us are somewhere around that 400 yard effective range on game in good circumstances, give or take a bit.

The other 75% are the guys that are only able to get out once or twice a year for their annual hunt (nothing wrong with that at all). They take their rifle out, setup a pop can and make sure they can hit it at 100 yards and call it good the week before their hunt. I would bet most of these guys are nowhere near capable of producing MOA groups at even just 200 yards. Maybe not even 2 MOA groups at 200 yards if you really sat them down. Some guys leave the range disgusted on the days they aren't putting down MOA or better groups at extended ranges.

Now my point is that a 600-800 yard shot is a literal lay up for some of these long range guys that do it right. With some very basic reloading/ballistics research and instruction over the last 4 years I've gone from a 250 yard shooter at the range to 500, and a bit beyond. I'm not a steady handed person, my form is not the greatest, I don't use a level very often, I don't take the temperature of my powder, I only measure every 5th case, and I put shells in my pocket (you educated folk are cringing). Now I haven’t forgotten that animals do move, but what is the difference with these critters jumping bow strings when I know many on this board are 50+ yard archers.

But we don't bash on the weekend warrior who is shooting and hunting with 4-6” groups at 200 yards, yet the guy laying down legit 4" groups EVERY TIME at 600 yards is getting berated. A lay up for me is a 3 pointer for Steph Curry... Some day when that 200" buck is across the draw at last light on closing day at 700 yards, we'll all be wishing we had the capability, if you say no then you are simply lying. The chance that that deer will die quickly to an experienced shooter at that range is pretty high. Higher than Joe Schmo, who uses his rifle scope as binoculars, with a 200 yard shot. I do think we’re all a bit hypocritical sometimes. I don’t mean to start a war, as I personally prefer interactions with critters as close as possible because that is what’s exciting to me, but if someone wants to pack their 14 pound sniper rifle around for days then good for them. But we gotta see both sides before we label someone else’s hobby “shooting."

Keep up the good podcasts Randy!

For me, the math just doesn't work for some shots. And since I'm an engineer and engineers can't operate without spreadsheets, attached is one I quickly put together to see how much room for error there is if an animal were to move.

Attachments

• LongRangeWorksheet.zip
    10.3 KB · Views: 63

I wonder the same thing. Why try and keep them to a time limit? It seems like they just start and they are already over.

For me, the math just doesn't work for some shots. And since I'm an engineer and engineers can't operate without spreadsheets, attached is one I quickly put together to see how much room for error there is if an animal were to move.

Any chance you could add effect of wind in? Or some variance of distribution of shots based on average wind speed and animal movement? I did some back of the envelope calculations once and things got real ugly once we hit 500 yards or so, especially taking a look at drift.

Any chance you could add effect of wind in? Or some variance of distribution of shots based on average wind speed and animal movement? I did some back of the envelope calculations once and things got real ugly once we hit 500 yards or so, especially taking a look at drift.

Probably, but I'd have to go dig out some textbooks... The password for the spreadsheet is "shoot" if you want to unlock it and tinker with it.

My guess is the time limit helps focus the discussion. If you look at the Joe Rogan podcast where Rinella first got involved with the media form a lot of his episodes ramble for 3-4 hours and maybe 1/3rd of it was useful and focused. There seems to be a trend towards an hour as good mark to start from with room to expand as necessary.

I think for some of us we can appreciate the skill it takes to shoot long ranges. What it boils down to is at some range it becomes more shooting than hunting. Don't ask me what that range is, its depends. for me it's probably 400 yards since that is the maximum at the range I shoot at. We may also remember from the podcast is the story about a TV personality actually backing up just to put another personal record in his book. To me the skill of hunting is more than just the skill of shooting. It is getting as close as you can, pretty hard to do as well. My buddy shot is rifle elk last October at 17 feet, I still shake at the thought of being that close to such a majestic animal.

Big Fin, thank you for doing this, I find it incredibly informative and valuable. It is such a great way to spend my commute to better educate me on key topics impacting public land hunting. Let us know how we can best support the podcast so that it continues.

Length of show.

I would also agree that the show could be 2 to 3 hours if the topic(s) warrant it. I listen while I'm out hiking to get in shape for my fall elk hunt. My normal course is just under 7 miles and I can stretch it to 11 miles. Perfect for a 2 to 3 hour podcast. Two nights ago I was a little disappointed when the podcast ended and I was still a couple miles from home. Sure makes the miles go by quicker.

I was also starting to hoard my meateater podcasts since once I listened to them it would be a while before the next one. Now I can be a little more liberal in my podcast dose and don't have to hoard them. Get the meateater one week and hunt talk the next. Throw in a little gritty bowman and Jay Scott and the miles really start to add up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back