Please help defeat James Tuchton

Browning55

All we need your help as stated on many threads, please copy and paste my email as you see fit. In addition , I will be flooding senators emails with multiple emails between now and 2/16. If you would like to blind me shoot me an email [email protected] and I can forward you the templates me and a group of folks are working on.

Take a moment and email/call our officials. remember they work for us.

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Dear Senator,

My name is Justin Nolan, and I am writing to you today as a concerned outdoorsman, business owner and outfitter who makes his living hunting and fishing in Colorado. The purpose of this letter is to implore you and your colleagues to not confirm James Tuchton as a Wildlife Commissioner.
The appointment of James Tuchton as a wildlife commissioner would not only be detrimental to CPW but also comes at a time when both the state of Colorado and our nation has faced extreme division. Mr. Tuchton is unfit to serve and would only further this division. Mr. Tuchton has been no stranger to making disparaging remarks to hunters as well as being hostile to anyone who disagrees with his viewpoints. He has demonstrated his inability to hide his bias or remain open to discussion during both the CPW commissioners’ meetings in July 2020 and January 2021. I have provided the links to the video meetings below for your reference. While opposed to the wolf reintroduction, I recognize the proposition passed and we must work together to build a plan forward that works for everyone. It is imperative that CPW devise a plan with proper input from western slope citizens and stakeholders from the hunting and fishing communities. Mr. Tuchton and the Governor have been very vocal on the need to rush this plan and get wolves on the ground by December 2021. These statements were made at the Jan 2021 Commissioners meeting. Coloradans need to have trust in CPW and the appointment of Mr. Tuchton only furthers more mistrust.
Mr. Tuchton was appointed by Governor Polis to be an integral part of the current wolf reintroduction plan while also serving as an attorney for Defense of Wildlife who has actively sued US Fish and Wildlife over their management plans of wolves. Mr.Tuchton only believes in his views and will sue anyone who defies it. This conflict of interest cannot go unchecked. Proposition 114 narrowly passed by 30,000 votes yet Mr.Tuchton and the Governor are acting like it was a landslide win and are trying to force wolves on the ground as quickly as possible. Colorado citizens voted on clear and direct language in proposition 114 and any attempts to undermine that need to be scrutinized to the fullest.
Mr. Tuchton has made it clear in his writings that he does not see the need for hunters as a management tool and is only interested in increasing the numbers of predators that ranchers and game managers will have to confront. The published goals for the Commission’s Strategic Plan are to increase the health and sustainability of Colorado wildlife and its habitat, and to increase financial support for Parks and Wildlife in our state. Mr. Tuchton’s comments in the many legal filings he’s brought about against wildlife agencies stigmatize hunters and outdoor enthusiasts and are the opposite of ecological stewardship for Colorado’s Parks, Public Lands and Wildlife. I would urge the Senate Agriculture Committee not to confirm Mr. Tuchton and work with the Governor to find a Commissioner for the Non-Profit seat who is willing to work with fellow commissioners without rancor and discord.

Jan Meeting:
July 2020 Meeting:Time stamp 9:04:10 Mr. Tuchton shows his bias of what he wants to see

Regards,

Thank you for the heads up, I will be voicing my opinion. I will also pass this on to my fellow hunting buddies.

*Anyone else who reads this please pass this on to your friends as well!*

I'll write, but the confirmation of Tutchton will be 3-2 on party lines
From what we are hearing it will be very close. I know a lot of the senators are starting to take note. Heartfelt and respectful emails have made a world of difference.

I will post a couple more emails as well for anyone who is interested. If you are a co resident and live in eagle or Jefferson county we could use all the help possible

Email sent a couple weeks ago. I got a personal reply from Sonneberg. Anyone know how it went?

My understanding: not yet considered as of 02/22. The appointees (three) need to be introduced to the Senate floor by the Senate President and then assigned to a committee for consideration, the Senate Ag and Natural Resources Committee would be apparent committee. The process is same or similar to the process for consideration of a bill. I do not know if a negative response by the Committee would end the appointment there or if the action moves then to the full Senate for consideration. Vague on my part, sorry. A party line vote is not assured per an informal comment. And Sandbrew, glad that Sen Sonnenberg responded to you - speaks well of him.

@Zach @Oak @Dsnow9 @TOGIE (thought you might be interested)

Per this thread and my frustration at Commissioner Tutchton's comments pertaining to predator hunting, method of take, and general (what I perceived as anti-hunting tenor) I wrote him an email, and shared BigFin's wolf lunch video.

He wrote me a response, below, and in a brief second email gave me permission to post it on hunt talk.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you very much for taking the time to write to me and offer constructive criticism. I appreciate it and will try to tone down some of my comments as you suggest. I have no desire to antagonize hunters. I used to be one myself, some of my best childhood friends still are, and I value hunters as allies. I'm sorry about the lion comment. As I recall that came up when I asked a member of the public providing comments who had described lion hunting as "trophy hunting" if she had used that phrase because she didn't believe that lion hunters ate lions. I might have been a bad communicator, but I was actually hoping to elicit the reaction I did from my fellow commissions who chimed in to say that they do indeed eat lions. I wanted that to be heard by the public. Maybe I misspoke and I don't mean to excuse any offense I gave. I am aware that people eat lions. I've had bobcat chilli myself back in the day. I suppose I am also viewed as "anti-hunting" because I am "pro-wolf" and "pro-lion." However, a large part of my support for wolves and lions is based on my understanding that their predation on deer and elk can assist in efforts to combat CWD. As I'm sure you are well aware CWD is a serious problem and I view it as a more dire threat to deer and elk and their human hunters than I do the predation issues from lions or wolves. At some point, sadly, it is likely we will have a case of CWD "jumping" from deer/elk to humans just as "mad cow" disease did. At least the scientists I've consulted are aware of nothing that would stop such a transfer. Having a human get infected from a deer or elk would be seriously bad for hunting. While it is true, I enjoy having lions and wolves about and want them on the landscape for ecological and aesthetic reasons, I haven't come to this position because of any animus toward human hunters.

In any event, I just wanted to say thanks for making me aware of how I am perceived. For what it is worth, I hunted for at least 30 years. For about 20 of those years I tried to eat only meat that I had personally killed and was largely successful though I did have to kill a cow once from a rancher friend when I missed a hunting season. I stopped hunting mostly because I stopped eating meat as a personal decision and there wasn't any point for me to buy a license, but I did continue to take friends hunting and help about the camps just for old times sake and because I enjoy the comadire. I really do value the contributions of ethical hunters to conservation and hope to work with such like minded folks in the future. I think we could all agree at least to work towards saving habitat as that again is the larger problem. I also would like to "clean-up" some of the rough edges around hunting because I believe if hunting is to continue to thrive it must be supported by the non-hunting majority. That is why I was against electronic calls for lion hunting. I don't think they are necessary and I don't think they are worth the backlash from people who are opposed to lion hunting period. Finally, on wolves, I serve at the pleasure of the Governor - who in turns serves at the pleasure of the majority of Colorado voters. I feel, as a CPW Commissioner, that I should try to implement the laws passed by the majority in our recent election. That is a job I take seriously and I do get annoyed when I think people are trying to evade implementing the will of the voters with delaying tactics. In the end though I think wolves are an overblown issue by both sides, often for fundraising purposes. They will not be as wonderful as the proponents believe, but they will also not be as negative as their opponents believe. They are just one missing piece of the ecosystem and on balance I believe we should put ecosystems back together if we can. I do hope that the wolf issue does not divert us too much from all the more pressing problems facing wildlife - chiefly 5 or 6 million human residents in Colorado demanding more habitat for themselves each day.

I'll get off my soap box, but you sounded like someone who has thought a lot about these issues and I wanted to let you know that I do as well. and that I will continue to do so. I'm always open to learning and I'm not afraid to say I was wrong about something if the evidence shows me I have gone astray. Hopefully, down the line, we might have an occasion to work together to do beneficial things for wildife as I suspect we have a lot more in common than we do in contrast.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Best Regards, Jay

Per this thread and my frustration at Commissioner Tutchton's comments pertaining to predator hunting, method of take, and general (what I perceived as anti-hunting tenor) I wrote him an email, and shared BigFin's wolf lunch video.

He wrote me a response, below, and in a brief second email gave me permission to post it on hunt talk.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you very much for taking the time to write to me and offer constructive criticism. I appreciate it and will try to tone down some of my comments as you suggest. I have no desire to antagonize hunters. I used to be one myself, some of my best childhood friends still are, and I value hunters as allies. I'm sorry about the lion comment. As I recall that came up when I asked a member of the public providing comments who had described lion hunting as "trophy hunting" if she had used that phrase because she didn't believe that lion hunters ate lions. I might have been a bad communicator, but I was actually hoping to elicit the reaction I did from my fellow commissions who chimed in to say that they do indeed eat lions. I wanted that to be heard by the public. Maybe I misspoke and I don't mean to excuse any offense I gave. I am aware that people eat lions. I've had bobcat chilli myself back in the day. I suppose I am also viewed as "anti-hunting" because I am "pro-wolf" and "pro-lion." However, a large part of my support for wolves and lions is based on my understanding that their predation on deer and elk can assist in efforts to combat CWD. As I'm sure you are well aware CWD is a serious problem and I view it as a more dire threat to deer and elk and their human hunters than I do the predation issues from lions or wolves. At some point, sadly, it is likely we will have a case of CWD "jumping" from deer/elk to humans just as "mad cow" disease did. At least the scientists I've consulted are aware of nothing that would stop such a transfer. Having a human get infected from a deer or elk would be seriously bad for hunting. While it is true, I enjoy having lions and wolves about and want them on the landscape for ecological and aesthetic reasons, I haven't come to this position because of any animus toward human hunters.

In any event, I just wanted to say thanks for making me aware of how I am perceived. For what it is worth, I hunted for at least 30 years. For about 20 of those years I tried to eat only meat that I had personally killed and was largely successful though I did have to kill a cow once from a rancher friend when I missed a hunting season. I stopped hunting mostly because I stopped eating meat as a personal decision and there wasn't any point for me to buy a license, but I did continue to take friends hunting and help about the camps just for old times sake and because I enjoy the comadire. I really do value the contributions of ethical hunters to conservation and hope to work with such like minded folks in the future. I think we could all agree at least to work towards saving habitat as that again is the larger problem. I also would like to "clean-up" some of the rough edges around hunting because I believe if hunting is to continue to thrive it must be supported by the non-hunting majority. That is why I was against electronic calls for lion hunting. I don't think they are necessary and I don't think they are worth the backlash from people who are opposed to lion hunting period. Finally, on wolves, I serve at the pleasure of the Governor - who in turns serves at the pleasure of the majority of Colorado voters. I feel, as a CPW Commissioner, that I should try to implement the laws passed by the majority in our recent election. That is a job I take seriously and I do get annoyed when I think people are trying to evade implementing the will of the voters with delaying tactics. In the end though I think wolves are an overblown issue by both sides, often for fundraising purposes. They will not be as wonderful as the proponents believe, but they will also not be as negative as their opponents believe. They are just one missing piece of the ecosystem and on balance I believe we should put ecosystems back together if we can. I do hope that the wolf issue does not divert us too much from all the more pressing problems facing wildlife - chiefly 5 or 6 million human residents in Colorado demanding more habitat for themselves each day.

I'll get off my soap box, but you sounded like someone who has thought a lot about these issues and I wanted to let you know that I do as well. and that I will continue to do so. I'm always open to learning and I'm not afraid to say I was wrong about something if the evidence shows me I have gone astray. Hopefully, down the line, we might have an occasion to work together to do beneficial things for wildife as I suspect we have a lot more in common than we do in contrast.

Best Regards, Jay

Thanks for posting that, there are a few little "politician-speak" things in there that certainly make the hair on the back of my neck stand up though...

I have been very critical, and to be honest, a bit of an a-hole about Tutchton on various threads.

My assumption was that he wasn't going to respond at all. His response made me realize that while I claim to value discourse and be accepting of others with differing opinions, I hadn't extended that to Commissioner Tutchton.

I still don't agree with him on various issues, but I feel that I need to do a better job of respecting his right to his opinions.

I think Colorado is better off having a diversity of view points on our commission, even if some of those opinions drive me up a wall from time to time.

Best Regards, Jay

ill say a true thanks wllm for sending him an e mail that garnered a thoughtful response from him like that one.

that email causes me to continue to want to give him the benefit of the doubt. And if he is truly faithful to his words there, he could actually be an ally to hunters in multiple ways.

We should continue to thoughtfully press him and call him out if we feel we should.

Best Regards, Jay
I'm glad he replied to you. I see him as a man who is confused on what is right. He hunted for 30 years and quit. How many people hunt for 30 years and quit because they no longer eat meat? We have been eating meat for many thousands of years. People painted hunting things like wooly mammoths on cave walls. Meat has always been a treasure and the most nutritious thing to eat. Anyone not eating it is doing themselves a disservice. Yes eating just fruits and vegetables is going to be way better then eating all the processed food most Americans eat but it's still not as good as eating meat from wild game. He is one of those people who has fallen for the modern day thinking of we don't need to eat meat. The disconnected who think food comes from the grocery store. I don't trust this man as he is making big decisions in his life based just on the current in style way of thinking of what is right or wrong

Meat has always been a treasure and the most nutritious thing to eat. Anyone not eating it is doing themselves a disservice. Yes eating just fruits and vegetables is going to be way better then eating all the processed food most Americans eat but it's still not as good as eating meat from wild game.
The medical community is going to disagree with you on that one, from a guy who tries to sneak red meat into as many meals as possible under his MDs nose.

Food decisions are complex and there is a lot wrapped up in them. I've seen the full gamut, at this point I don't judge other folks decisions, I ask they don't judge mine, and I respect those that put their money where there mouth is. I have no problem with vegetarians, it's anti hunters who go to Applebee's for a steak, or who put bacon on their salad.

The medical community is going to disagree with you on that one...
This should probably be its own thread, but since it is germane to Tutchton, I'll put it here.

My current understanding is that when the 'medical community' says "Don't eat red meat," what they really mean is don't eat processed, fatty, red meat in large quantities. The devil is in the details, but I would argue that if you are lumping lean venison in with Jimmie Dean's breakfast sausages, you are not doing it right.

This should probably be its own thread, but since it is germane to Tutchton, I'll put it here.

My current understanding is that when the 'medical community' says "Don't eat red meat," what they really mean is don't eat processed, fatty, red meat in large quantities. The devil is in the details, but I would argue that if you are lumping lean venison in with Jimmie Dean's breakfast sausages, you are not doing it right.
Logical Fallacy-> Strawman

Statements
"the most nutritious thing to eat"
"Anyone not eating it is doing themselves a disservice"
"Yes eating just fruits and vegetables is going to be way better then...but it's still not as good as eating meat from wild game"

Response
The medical community is going to disagree with you on that one.

Distortion
"the 'medical community' says 'Don't eat red meat,'"

I you are arguing against something I never said.

The medical community is going to disagree with you on that one, from a guy who tries to sneak red meat into as many meals as possible under his MDs nose.

Food decisions are complex and there is a lot wrapped up in them. I've seen the full gamut, at this point I don't judge other folks decisions, I ask they don't judge mine, and I respect those that put their money where there mouth is. I have no problem with vegetarians, it's anti hunters who go to Applebee's for a steak, or who put bacon on their salad.
I know Doctors who would back up what I said on meat. Not all but you saying the medical community would disagree is not 100% true. Many doctors disagree on things. We are all entitled to our own opinions including doctors. I do think vegetarians mean well no doubt. But they are being played by those who want to make money off of them. Tuchton is a former hunter who no longer believes in eating meat. This is not someone we want as a Wildlife Commissioner. One of the greatest things about hunting is eating the meat of your kill. If you don't believe in that part of hunting it's a slippery slope towards being a anti-hunter

I know Doctors who would back up what I said on meat. Not all but you saying the medical community would disagree is not 100% true. Many doctors disagree on things. We are all entitled to our own opinions including doctors. I do think vegetarians mean well no doubt. But they are being played by those who want to make money off of them. Tuchton is a former hunter who no longer believes in eating meat. This is not someone we want as a Wildlife Commissioner. One of the greatest things about hunting is eating the meat of your kill. If you don't believe in that part of hunting it's a slippery slope towards being a anti-hunter
I doubt that, text them those statements verbatim, no equivocations, no rephrasing.

"Anyone not eating it is doing themselves a disservice"

How about someone with Alpha-gal syndrome? Phenylketonuria, Gout?

I realize that you were probably being hyperbolic, but I think you are similarly twisting Tuchton's words.

"I stopped hunting mostly because I stopped eating meat as a personal decision and there wasn't any point for me to buy a license, but I did continue to take friends hunting and help about the camps just for old times sake and because I enjoy the comadire."

I would have a problem with someone who hunted and didn't eat the meat.

"One of the greatest things about hunting is eating the meat of your kill."

Apparently, you, me, and Tuchton agree on that.

Plenty to critique, I'm not here on this one.

Last edited:
we're on meat health now? i don't think tutchton said meat was bad for you.

to drive us into the ditch further, i'll just say, the medical community is not exactly in agreement that red meat is bad for you... if we're gonna appeal to authority.

it seems it's now a generational split, more and more young doctors i encounter these days are saying "yes! eat all that saturated fat and eat all those egg yolks! really just ease up on the carbs and NO sugar"

those words alone give doctors over 55 heart attacks, but probably not if they hadn't eaten so much processed carbs and sugar throughout their lives

we're on meat health now? i don't think tutchton said meat was bad for you.

to drive us into the ditch further, i'll just say, the medical community is not exactly in agreement that red meat is bad for you... if we're gonna appeal to authority.

it seems it's now a generational split, more and more young doctors i encounter these days are saying "yes! eat all that saturated fat and eat all those egg yolks! really just ease up on the carbs and NO sugar"

those words alone give doctors over 55 heart attacks, but probably not if they hadn't eaten so much processed carbs and sugar throughout their lives
I don't think I said meat was bad for you either lol

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back