Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Plb/spot

Amand

I was curious if any of you use a PLB or Spot when you go out on your hunting/scouting trips. It seems like I am headed out more and more by myself now as my normal buddies are getting married and having kids and have been considering picking one up just in case something would happen and a little peace of mind for the family.

From the research I have done it seems like the Spot units haven't received the best reviews but have some pretty nice features with the tracking/notifications. Plus they are quite a bit cheaper to start as well but have the $99 yearly fee.

The PLBs seem to be alot more dependable but cost more upfront as well. I did find this website (http://www.406link.com/) where it allows you to send out a limited ok msg for a yearly fee (40-60 a year)

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with any particular units or could make any recommendations.

Just started looking into these, my wife is more & more paranoid about my adventures. I'm looking into the ACR SARlink, more up front money but no yearly fees. Those fees add up fast over the years. Supposedly a stronger signal and a 911 feature, like I said though just starting to get into it.

I bought a SPOT for my moose hunt this year and loved it batteries lasted the entire trip and it was in tracking mode all day long everyday so that my friends and family could follow along with me on the computer. It will send a pretyped msg that you program on your computer one on the ok button and one on the help button I programmed the ok button to say I was ok and just checking in and the help button to let everyone know that I had gotten moose it doesnt have to mean you need help then there is the 911 feature where they will send in the closest rescue to you which is a nice feature. It is also very lightweight.
You can set it up to email and text 10 people and also to post on your facebook and or twitter page so the entire world can follow if you like.
I got it for $100 dollars at cabelas with a $50 rebate so only paid $50 for it would recomend to anyone I do know they make a new one that is better then mine but i didn't need the extra features.

Good Luck hope this helps

Been using the Spot for several years. Definitely worth the extra weight. The OK feature is nice to show your progress/location to everyone back home. But luckily haven't had to use the 911 feature.

My wife as well is paranoid when I am up in the mountains in the back country for days at a time. I have rented a satellite phone, and that way I can talk to her every evening when I return back to the tent. It also gives myself a good piece of mind, because I hunt solo much of the time.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sinhba
Back