Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Plate ‘em up

Question as to whether you can reheat wild boar, answered.
Wife did a ham cuban style. (The rotten bananas are plantains for plantanos maduros. If your plantains aren't at least that far gone they won't come out right.)
IMG_20240221_171136449~2.jpg

We didn't finish it. So, I reheated on the stove, adding tomato paste, plenty of cumin, onion and garlic.
Attach16448_20240224_111116.jpgAttach16460_20240224_112648.jpgAttach16452_20240224_111547.jpg
Most of the time I can taste some gamey with reheated meat, but this I couldn't tell it wasnt made fresh.

I wouldn’t cook a thick pork chop any other way. Gets you to a good medium / medium-rare temp without drying it out. Also use it for thick steaks when I don’t want to deal with the grill and reverse sear.
In the summer I'm usually home pretty late. I'm asking for it so the wife can use it and not turn it into sawdust. Looking forward to it.

In the summer I'm usually home pretty late. I'm asking for it so the wife can use it and not turn it into sawdust. Looking forward to it.
For pork chops, I’ll buy several when they are on sale and individually vacuum pack them with fresh aromatics (thyme, rosemary, sage, etc) and then freeze them. I usually thaw before putting in the sous vide, but you can put them in frozen if needed. Usually an hour in the sous vide at 125 degrees, then take them out of the package, remove and set aside the aromatics and dry the chops really good. Pan sear for ~3 mins per side then hit the edges as well. Then turn off the heat, add butter and the aromatics back to the pan with some garlic, and baste. Having the aromatics in the sous vide bag really enhances the flavor.

For pork chops, I’ll buy several when they are on sale and individually vacuum pack them with fresh aromatics (thyme, rosemary, sage, etc) and then freeze them. I usually thaw before putting in the sous vide, but you can put them in frozen if needed. Usually an hour in the sous vide at 125 degrees, then take them out of the package, remove and set aside the aromatics and dry the chops really good. Pan sear for ~3 mins per side then hit the edges as well. Then turn off the heat, add butter and the aromatics back to the pan with some garlic, and baste. Having the aromatics in the sous vide bag really enhances the flavor.
That's what I've heard. In all honesty with 3 kids I think it'll just be easier for her to throw stuff in there at her leisure instead of trying to watch the grill with the chaos that ensues around here with the kids. Is there special type of bags or just regular sealer bags?

That's what I've heard. In all honesty with 3 kids I think it'll just be easier for her to throw stuff in there at her leisure instead of trying to watch the grill with the chaos that ensues around here with the kids. Is there special type of bags or just regular sealer bags?
Just regular bags you use with a vacuum sealer. If you don’t have a vacuum sealer, you can use ziplocks, but they won’t keep in the freezer as long. If cooking for the whole family, you could put multiple in one bag side by side.

Just regular bags you use with a vacuum sealer. If you don’t have a vacuum sealer, you can use ziplocks, but they won’t keep in the freezer as long. If cooking for the whole family, you could put multiple in one bag side by side.
The sous vide is a game changer for thick pork chops!

For the family I've done 3 chops to a vacuum bag and just chucked a couple bags in there at the same time. No issues at all. Just make sure all bags have circulation around them and they aren't sandwiched together.

First picture is black bear shank, seasoned and seared, then slow cooked with chopped yams in a beef bone broth, shredded and served over a bed of brown rice and garden veggies (green beans and red peppers). Basic seasonings include salt, black pepper, and pinch of oregano. Mostly this is what I had on hand at the time, but it turned out tasty and filling. Puppers even got a little bit.

Second picture is bear back strap tacos. Seasoned and seared the backstrap, braised to temp, then thin sliced and plated on a white corn tortilla with oven roasted poblano peppers, shredded four cheese blend, spoonful of salsa, and hit with some Tabasco. Chips and salsa as a side. A nice cold beer (or three) to wash it all down.

Attachments

• PXL_20231003_221919920.jpg
    PXL_20231003_221919920.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20231227_233630892.jpg
    PXL_20231227_233630892.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member