Plate ‘em up

Recipe please 🙏
Loosely based on this:
https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/crawfish-dip

It has the right ingredients, but to me the proportions are off. After making etouffe numerous times, this recipe seemed pretty weak on the crawfish, so I halved pretty much everything except the crawfish. I can’t get fresh crawfish, so I order it in frozen, which after thawing has a fair amount of liquid. So maybe if you can get fresh crawfish tails undiluted it would be OK to use a full pound of that without halving the other stuff.

Even after halving the other stuff, it was still more soupy than what I wanted, so I drained a lot of liquid off in a strainer and added more grated cheddar to thicken it up. Wasn’t happy about that because there was tons of flavor in what I drained off. I saved it for bread dip though 😜. Next time I’ll leave out the heavy cream, and do more shredded cheddar and a little less cream cheese.

I didn’t have creole mustard, nor did local grocery, so I just used about 1/4 of what the recipe called for of some whole grain mustard I had on hand, and augmented with a tsp of Tony Cachere creole seasoning. I used red vs. green bell pepper in my “holy trinity” cajun veggies, more for color than flavor. Saved some of the chopped parsley to garnish the top vs mixing it all in.

Overall I was pleased with how it turned out. Had a decent amount of kick without being overwhelming. Just need to avoid having it too soupy next time.

Edit: And I didn’t do it in a slow cooker. I just did everything in one pan over med low heat. I never add garlic to other veggies until they are done, so after the onion, peppers and celery were softened, I added the garlic and let that cook for about a minute until fragrant, then added the crawfish, then the spices, then the cheese and cream. Perhaps if I’d let this simmer in a slow cooker for 45 mins it would have thickened up on its own, but I didn’t have that much time and don’t like the idea of cooking any shellfish for that long.

Last edited:
Loosely based on this:
https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/crawfish-dip

It has the right ingredients, but to me the proportions are off. After making etouffe numerous times, this recipe seemed pretty weak on the crawfish, so I halved pretty much everything except the crawfish. I can’t get fresh crawfish, so I order it in frozen, which after thawing has a fair amount of liquid. So maybe if you can get fresh crawfish tails undiluted it would be OK to use a full pound of that without halving the other stuff.

Even after halving the other stuff, it was still more soupy than what I wanted, so I drained a lot of liquid off in a strainer and added more grated cheddar to thicken it up. Wasn’t happy about that because there was tons of flavor in what I drained off. I saved it for bread dip though 😜. Next time I’ll leave out the heavy cream, and do more shredded cheddar and a little less cream cheese.

I didn’t have creole mustard, nor did local grocery, so I just used about 1/4 of what the recipe called for of some whole grain mustard I had on hand, and augmented with a tsp of Tony Cachere creole seasoning. I used red vs. green bell pepper in my “holy trinity” cajun veggies, more for color than flavor. Saved some of the chopped parsley to garnish the top vs mixing it all in.

Overall I was pleased with how it turned out. Had a decent amount of kick without being overwhelming. Just need to avoid having it too soupy next time.

Edit: And I didn’t do it in a slow cooker. I just did everything in one pan over med low heat. I never add garlic to other veggies until they are done, so after the onion, peppers and celery were softened, I added the garlic and let that cook for about a minute until fragrant, then added the crawfish, then the spices, then the cheese and cream. Perhaps if I’d let this simmer in a slow cooker for 45 mins it would have thickened up on its own, but I didn’t have that much time and don’t like the idea of cooking any shellfish for that long.
Great chefs are their own worst critics… thank you for sharing the recipe, it looks awesome and I can’t wait to give it a shot!

Great chefs are their own worst critics… thank you for sharing the recipe, it looks awesome and I can’t wait to give it a shot!
It was definitely a hit at the party. I will be making it again! And definitely suggest crostini / toasted baguette vs crackers. You need something that will soak up the goodness vs. running off and being messy to eat.

Wife made me something new
Added blueberry to a Gruyere grilled cheese sandwich on sourdough bread
Fresh blueberries cooked a bit with a little sugar and corn starch

Dang that was good

IMG_4418.jpeg

Yesterday was with Swiss Cheese and some “artesan bread “ she gets from food lion
IMG_4413.jpeg

Both excellent (excuse egg leavings in second picture)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back