Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Plate ‘em up

I did a deep dive into the chest freezer last weekend and found a package of turkey leg/thigh of questionable freezer burn appearance and no date. I decided to braise them as per Hank Shaw Carnitas and hope for the best. Mrs kansasdad prefers no cinnamon or peppers (spicy heat not her thing) so they were left out. 200-230 degrees all afternoon and early evening, the house smelled of peppery meaty goodness.

Pulling off a largish piece of thigh meat to taste it, it was with great relief to know that this batch of Kansas free range dark meat was wonderful.

I tried my best to imitate a Jason’s Deli style baked potato topped with the usual toppings suspects plus avocado and a generous layer of the dark meat carnitas.

A9729653-40AC-462A-B743-4639404456E7.jpeg

I did a deep dive into the chest freezer last weekend and found a package of turkey leg/thigh of questionable freezer burn appearance and no date. I decided to braise them as per Hank Shaw Carnitas and hope for the best. Mrs kansasdad prefers no cinnamon or peppers (spicy heat not her thing) so they were left out. 200-230 degrees all afternoon and early evening, the house smelled of peppery meaty goodness.

Pulling off a largish piece of thigh meat to taste it, it was with great relief to know that this batch of Kansas free range dark meat was wonderful.

I tried my best to imitate a Jason’s Deli style baked potato topped with the usual toppings suspects plus avocado and a generous layer of the dark meat carnitas.

View attachment 279702
Carnitas and baked potatoes o my!

Interesting.
I got the fancy bowl from the local grocery store. It came in a pack of 25.

I got the recipe here: https://www.copperriversalmon.org/recipes I really enjoyed it. 10/10. I didn’t have fresh anything except garlic and green onions so I used powder substitutes instead of fresh and I just guessed on measurements.

I got the fancy bowl from the local grocery store. It came in a pack of 25.

I got the recipe here: https://www.copperriversalmon.org/recipes I really enjoyed it. 10/10. I didn’t have fresh anything except garlic and green onions so I used powder substitutes instead of fresh and I just guessed on measurements.
Some of my best meals have come from just whatever I had on hand at the time , love it when it works . But , I've also pitched everything and ordered chinese once or twice , LOL

My buddy gave me some moose steaks that I'm planning to cook this evening. Was thinking rub with Blackened Saskatchewan rub, grill at 400 until 125 degrees ? I've never had a moose steak but would imagine it's just like deer/elk/lope. Don't overcook and it should be great. Any tips would be appreciated.

My buddy gave me some moose steaks that I'm planning to cook this evening. Was thinking rub with Blackened Saskatchewan rub, grill at 400 until 125 degrees ? I've never had a moose steak but would imagine it's just like deer/elk/lope. Don't overcook and it should be great. Any tips would be appreciated.
I usually brine my wild game steaks and pork loin for 8-24 hours before grilling, helps keep it moist while cooking.

Season/cook them as you would your beef steak. If they are taken care of afield and not on a rut, they are better than elk/deer. Yes, do NOT overcook them.

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back