Plate ‘em up

20230623_193130.jpg

Could not find an outer skirt steak so I settled for a flank steak. I have also used flat iron steak.

Marinate the meat in equal parts of the best, smokiest, peatyest scotch you can find. Homemade maple syrup, and a stiff, salty, soy sauce. Then add a good bit of freshly ground black pepper. Put the steak and the mix in a ziplock in your fridge for 12-18 hours, and then grill. Save the marinade for a sauce (simply reduce by half over medium heat with 2 T of butter for good measure).

Grill to 120f. The peat and sweet and salt is amazing stuff.

Thank Steve Reichlen for the recipe, although he recommends bourbon. He is wrong about that. Lagavulin was perfect. Laphroaig Select would be just as good.

View attachment 281117

Could not find an outer skirt steak so I settled for a flank steak. I have also used flat iron steak.

Marinate the meat in equal parts of the best, smokiest, peatyest scotch you can find. Homemade maple syrup, and a stiff, salty, soy sauce. Then add a good bit of freshly ground black pepper. Put the steak and the mix in a ziplock in your fridge for 12-18 hours, and then grill. Save the marinade for a sauce (simply reduce by half over medium heat with 2 T of butter for good measure).

Grill to 120f. The peat and sweet and salt is amazing stuff.

Thank Steve Reichlen for the recipe, although he recommends bourbon. He is wrong about that. Lagavulin was perfect. Laphroaig Select would be just as good.
Glad you found a use for that peatty crap. Certainly isn’t fit to drink! 😂

Glad you found a use for that peatty crap. Certainly isn’t fit to drink! 😂
There are times that I feel sorry for you. Not often, but when it comes to Scotch. You can cook circles around me for sure, but try that recipe. You just might like it.

How's Wasatch? He should be carrying a small cask of Lagavulin under his chin for ya :)

20210926 Wasatch Greg Hendersons Bernese.jpg

There are times that I feel sorry for you. Not often, but when it comes to Scotch. You can cook circles around me for sure, but try that recipe. You just might like it.

How's Wasatch? He should be carrying a small cask of Lagavulin under his chin for ya :)

View attachment 281119
That stuff tastes like OntarioHunter’s campfire to me. 😂 Wasatch is good, and only carries good bourbon in his collar barrel!

That stuff tastes like OntarioHunter’s campfire to me. 😂 Wasatch is good, and only carries good bourbon in his collar barrel!
Now, let's not be too crude there. OH can stay on the bench.
Post more pic of W. The guy is too handsome to stay so anonymous.

On the other end of the handsome scale, who's ankles are those? @VikingsGuy ?

Now, let's not be too crude there. OH can stay on the bench.
Post more pic of W. The guy is too handsome to stay so anonymous.

On the other end of the handsome scale, who's ankles are those? @VikingsGuy ?
Can’t post too many Wasatch pics, lest I be accused of shamelessly trying to pad my reaction score. 😝

Definitely my ankles. The size of the right one is a dead giveaway.

1687577975731.jpeg

Can’t post too many Wasatch pics, lest I be accused of shamelessly trying to pad my reaction score. 😝

View attachment 281124
I don't know. If it wasn't for Gus I wouldn't have a reaction score. Dang, that angle looks ouchy!
Gus in the bluebells.jpg
Maybe you can ride Wasatch.

View attachment 281124
But if you're gonna post feet/ankles the least you can do is throw in Wasatch as a consolation prize. On a serious note what's up with that ankle? I'm guessing a bad break at one time? None of my business but the medical professionals in me has to know.

But if you're gonna post feet/ankles the least you can do is throw in Wasatch as a consolation prize. On a serious note what's up with that ankle? I'm guessing a bad break at one time? None of my business but the medical professionals in me has to know.
Correct. Rec basketball injury in college. Fracture and torn ligaments - the latter never being properly diagnosed or repaired which led to many later sprains and additional fractures over the past 35 years. Essentially there’s nothing holding it together other than all that extra bone mass it developed.

Now let’s get this thing back to food! Apologies for the distraction folks.

My Sunday take on a patty melt. Neighbor brought me some sourdough starter, so I made some bread yesterday. Tonight I spread some 2020 vension burger on it and cooked it open faced under the broiler. Then topped it with some Gruyère and sautéed onions. A little whole grain brown mustard on the other slice of sourdough.

IMG_0167.jpeg

For those of you who don’t add suet to your grind, this is a good way to do a burger since you don’t have to worry about it falling apart.

My Sunday take on a patty melt. Neighbor brought me some sourdough starter, so I made some bread yesterday. Tonight I spread some 2020 vension burger on it and cooked it open faced under the broiler. Then topped it with some Gruyère and sautéed onions. A little whole grain brown mustard on the other slice of sourdough.

View attachment 281381

For those of you who don’t add suet to your grind, this is a good way to do a burger since you don’t have to worry about it falling apart.
The Melvin 2x4 speaks VOLUMES regard your culinary prowess…well done on the patty melt too!

A few from the camera roll. Hope you enjoy.

Roasted goose breast pho in bone broth
E000EEBA-B7E4-4548-BBB2-37636F068BD3.jpeg

Mule deer backstrap, au poivre, with broccoli
4795127C-676D-4830-B671-8789202560F5.jpeg

Spicy antelope heart stir fry
4368FFFA-7941-4F12-A02B-7FFC87F88E05.jpeg

Walleye collars
IMG_0554.jpeg

Mule deer sirloin tip, trussed for roasting
IMG_0799 Copy.jpeg

Elk In garlic sauce
IMG_1055.jpeg