Plantar fascitis, question.

bailey68

Anyone have any remedies that have worked for them. I have orthotic inserts and ice it but no luck. Does it help to try new orthotics. This has been a problem for over a year now

i had one of those walking boots for a couple weeks along with physical therapy. That cured mine so far.

The big issue is what’s causing it in the first place. Is it your everyday shoes? Standing on concrete? Running? Lack of arch support? Shoes too stiff? There is SOME underlying cause and you need to identify and remedy this in order to fully cure it.

I battled a really bad case of this one year. Took along time to heal it up. Ultimately what helped me the most was a VERY aggressive stretching and foam rolling program for my hamstrings and calves. I also iced the heck out of my feet. The socks for sleeping would be a good item to look at.

I am in my seventh year suffering from it. Have had orthotics, shots, night splints, special socks, meds, etc. Also did the stretches, rolling on a frozen wather bottle, etc. The one thing that has helped the most is Voltarin cream. It is expensive (my insurance covers it) and is by prescription only, but it keeps the pain at bay when I apply it 1x or 2x a day. It is the single most effective remedy I have tried.
I work on concrete and have to run (military) as part of my job... but only for 9 more months!

I fought it for abt 2 years. tried everything. Eventually found out there is no sure cure.
but a lot of home remedies and foot quackery to take your money.
It seemed everyone i talked to that had it, solved it in a different manner.
JLS is right. Figure out what is causing it.
Finally went to foot clinic at a running shoe store. diagnosed w/ high arches.
Then went to a shoe store that had an electronic pad to stand on and let their computer
tell me what to use for insoles, basically orthotics.
The company that makes these has changed since that first pair - and raised their price.
I don't care at this point. The relief and being able to run again was worth almost any price.
Within 2 days of putting these in, the pain went away.
I still do a lot of stretching, standing on wood rollers, etc. maintenance.
Currently using the L2205. I also put them in my boots and hike all day w/o
any problems
good luck

ps found them. the metatarsal support really helped for me

Last edited:
These pretty much took care of mine as long as I don't go barefoot.

Had it for nearly two years. I also tried lots of things with no results. Went to the doctor and he prescribed aggressive foot/calf stretches which made things worse for me. Eventually I just kept working out and religiously stretching gently before and after. I noticed that as my hamstrings loosened up and I got more flexibility there, my plantar fasciitis gradually went away. I don’t know if that was coincidence or not. The only foot roller that gave me relief was a little hard spiky ball about the size of a tennis ball. That felt good in the evenings.

These pretty much took care of mine as long as I don't go barefoot.

I had it about five years ago. Mine went away with a combination of treatments and a set of Hoka's like these. I used to wrap a belt around by big toe while lying in the bed and stretch my foot out over and over again and again. I started using insoles with high arches. I would roll my foot on a tennis ball while watching T.V. Lastly a lost a few pounds because apparently the extra weight doesn't help either.

Anyhow, plantar fasciitis is painful! My sympathies as you work thru it.

I'm in it right now myself some remedies like the water bottle and lots of stretching have been working out. It's horrible to deal with, I've been told it's triggered by my knee injuries from when I was younger....... man if I only knew now what I knew back then haha. Insoles and better support has been a huge factor in helping, I wear super feet insoles this year I am going to use Lathrop and sons orthotic foot beds. Not sure if it helps much bud uts a great place to start.

Yup I've had it for the last year or so, it sucks! The night splint has helped me with it more than anything. Its still there but not as severe as before the night splint, it's almost as it has become normal to limp around on one foot now.

Like JLS said, you need to find the root cause.

I had it for a year and a half back in 2011-2012. Played alot of baseball on astro turf in College. I could hardly walk in the mornings and I was only 35 years old. I was standing on concrete all day long in Harley-Davidson shops in Harley Davidson riding boots for about 7 years. I also had a house with hard wood floors and a bar top height eating table wear I rested my feet on the balls of my feet, wore crappy Rocky boots to hunt. All these things were contributors.

On a recommendation from a few friends I went and bought my first pair of Meindl hunting boots. Went to the foot doctor and she recommended orthotics for my shoes and she gave me cortizone shots. The cortizone lasted maybe three days and I was right back to square one. My insurance wouldn't cover the custom molded ones so I went to Cabela's and they had one of those machines that told you which ones would fit you the best. Went with the Green Super Feet. I also replaced my regular everyday boots with the Meindl Duty Boots. The last thing I did was accept that I needed to wear "house shoes" in the house from now on. I really like the Crocs that look like a slipper. Nice and cushioning.

It took a while and with stretching, wearing a night boot for a month, and changing all the above, it went away. Now and then I can feel it at night especially when I am in/around our pool all day with the kids ( concrete around the pool) barefoot. I just stretch it out and use a golf ball to roll under my foot. That takes care of the soreness for me.

Good luck. It is very frustrating for sure.

I have/had it in both feet. Left foot pretty much healed over the winter with reduced activity and the ice/stretch path. We narrowed my cause down to a 10K walk the wife and I did, most was on the street, some on hard packed ground. I STUPIDLY wore cheap sneakers. From that day til now, almost a year, it's been an issue.

things that help:
- When I wake up, before I get out of bed, I stretch my feet by pulling the toes as close to the shin as I can. Do this for a few minutes and those first steps are pain free.
- ice in a water bottle and use it while watching TV

Shoes matter. If we go for a walk and I wear my running sneakers (good ones) or my good hiking boots, no issues. If I wear my muck boots or boring old work books, feet hurt that night.

My PERSONAL VIEW is it comes down to arch support and flexibility in legs, from hamstring, calfs, feet, IT band etc. Work on lengthening those and getting them stretched and it will take the pressure off the feet. consider it a single elastic from your butt, down the back of your leg, around your heal to your toes. Strethch/lengthen that and it will go a long ways to relieving the strain in your feet.

The big issue is what’s causing it in the first place. Is it your everyday shoes? Standing on concrete? Running? Lack of arch support? Shoes too stiff? There is SOME underlying cause and you need to identify and remedy this in order to fully cure it.

I battled a really bad case of this one year. Took along time to heal it up. Ultimately what helped me the most was a VERY aggressive stretching and foam rolling program for my hamstrings and calves. I also iced the heck out of my feet. The socks for sleeping would be a good item to look at.
Everything he said.
I have battled it off and on for a few years.

I had it a few years back and tried everything to get rid of it. Started after I tore my calf muscle and kept re-injuring that leg because I wasn’t doing what I needed to get it healed. Ended up going to physical therapy for that, as my calf healed I developed pain in my heel that gradually worsened for about a year while trying home remedies, orthotics, went through tons of shoes and physical therapy for PF.
Went to my regular doc who prescribed Volta ten and it didn’t help, they sent me to orthopedist who did X-ray and confirmed I had PF and a heel spur, but offered no help. At about the 1.5 year mark I saw a podiatrist, who did new orthotics and changed my physical therapy routine plus gave me a series of steroid injections in my foot. None of that stuff helped and I was getting more miserable all the while. It was really affecting my daily life, work and outdoor activities. At around the 2 year mark I called up the podiatrist and he scheduled me for surgery. He went in and cut part of the fascia to allow it to stretch. He put me in a walking cast/boot post op and I had relief the day of surgery. It did change things about my foot, my step and stability for a while but hardly notice it anymore.

long story short is sometimes the home remedies don’t work, if it goes on for months just go see a reputable podiatrist. Don’t be stubborn like me.

I have very very flat feet and have many foot issues including plantar fascitis and neuroma problems. I think stretching and rolling definitely helped me. Good epsom salt soaks help also. I have had flares when I switched boots during training or summertime hiking. In all honesty I think the kenetreks have the right amount of softness/cushion as I have not had as many problems since switching exclusively to them in 2017.

I am in my seventh year suffering from it. Have had orthotics, shots, night splints, special socks, meds, etc. Also did the stretches, rolling on a frozen wather bottle, etc. The one thing that has helped the most is Voltarin cream. It is expensive (my insurance covers it) and is by prescription only, but it keeps the pain at bay when I apply it 1x or 2x a day. It is the single most effective remedy I have tried.
I work on concrete and have to run (military) as part of my job... but only for 9 more months!
Man I lost patience with all that after 2 years, I can’t imagine 7. PF surgery was some of the best money I ever spent

As we get older, it's amazing how important stretching is and how much of a positive affect it can have on your overall health.

I was recently suffering from knee pain, after a backpack trip. I went to a very reputable orthopedic doctor (twice) and finally I convinced him to prescribe physical therapy. The physical therapist was a close friend and he showed me some stretches. The one that did the trick was my IT Band was so tight, it was pulling on my knee and knee cap. After a few days of stretches and rolling what amounts to a rolling pin down the side of my leg (out the outside - from your butt cheek to your knee), it is all but gone. I cannot stress the importance of stretching in general.

The only thing that helped mine was stretching. I was in a world of hurt a few years ago with that and an ankle injury I kept re- injuring every time stepped out the door. I was in physical therapy for a while. Technical I was there for the ankle, but we did some work on the Planters Fascitis as well. My therapist explained that you can get it under control by stretching your calves, but to really get it better takes time and consitency. Everything thing along the back of the leg and bottom of the foot is connected, so 2 or 3 times a day I would start with my hamstrings and work down - calves, Achilles, then toes. Hold each stretch for at least 15 seconds. I was diligent and it took months, but it did clear up in both feet. Once in a while I start to feel it in my left foot, and I just start working it with stretching again.

Everyone is built a little different, but this worked for me. PF sucks. But it can be managed.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back