Caribou Gear

Planning our 2017 WY hunt. Point questions

Kevrod3

My hunting buddy and I will have 3 points next year for Lopes in WY, however my son will turn 12 on Sept 4th so he will be allowed to hunt with us.
I'm going to buy him a point, and my dad, and my buddies step dad are wanting to buy a point this year and tag along as well.

My priorities for this hunt, is to put my son Austin on his first Western animal. Giving him a taste of why I love the West so much! Seeing antelope doesn't sound like a problem in WY from what i'm told! So my question is since my son will only have a point, my dad and buddies stepdad only having one point, does that seem like enough to put in for a specific unit? The unit sections, draws are a bit confusing.... SO should we just try for a general rifle area or would it be smarter to pool our points and try and draw a unit? I'd rather not burn my points if its not going to up our odds to access above average(general) units.
Thanks!

I personally would find a 3-5 point unit with decent random odds, then plan on hunting a leftover unit if you don't draw.

With the way point creep has been going the last couple years, having a point or two doesn't really help much anymore.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a 'general' rifle pronghorn tag.

There are no "general" lope tags in Wy. If you put in as a party they will average your points. So if you have 9 points total for 5 guys so you'll ave 1.8 points. Look at the draw odds and see what areas you will draw based on last year. The draw report will show it as <2. If you just want to shoot decent bucks you can find an area with your points.

There are no "general" lope tags in Wy. If you put in as a party they will average your points. So if you have 9 points total for 5 guys so you'll ave 1.8 points. Look at the draw odds and see what areas you will draw based on last year. The draw report will show it as <2. If you just want to shoot decent bucks you can find an area with your points.

Looking at what your point total drew the year before is a fools errand due to point creep.

My wife and I unsuccessfully applied for units last year that we cleared by more than a point the year before.

As Randy said I would draw for a unit at or above your points and then I would hunt left over tags if you don't draw. I've hunted left overs this year and last and had my tags punched in no more then a few days. Left over units have their frustrations but if your willing to drive from spot to spot and hike in a mile plus you'll have success.

Back