Planning on Colorado Elk hunt this fall

madhatter53

Planning on taking the boys on a archery elk hunt this fall. They have killed lots of whitetails, but want to try hunting Elk. Any help and info you could give us we would be thankful.

State land elk hunting is nothing like on tv. I love the promos videos, but unless your on a private ranch for 15k don't plan on blowing a cow call and having a 350" 6x6 run in at 10 yards. Lot of spot and stalk. Nothing more important than getting the wind right. And stay hydrated
Good luck!

Do not use a hoochie mama. Watch some videos and learn how cows sound. Bugling is extremely,e;y risky and not usually very productive. There will be lots of people. Either out work them or out smart them.

Have fun, archery hunters have around an 8-10 percent success rate statewide on elk. That included people with really bad luck and also guys who kill almost every year.

Try to make this a long term plan. I would say most guys takes 3-4 years just to learn areas and elk habits and human habits. After 3-4 years in the unit your odds will increase greatly.

Lastly when hunting smarter do not over look random spots close to,rods or trailhead where everyone drives or hikes past.

Get in great cardiovascular shape. Second only to your brian your legs are your best weapons.

And as stated in a previous reply, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Don't just bring a 16 oz plastic bottle of water. Look into a hyrdration bladder of a least 2 litres, preferably 3. You should be drinking at least a gallon of water a day.

Last edited:
Do not use a hoochie mama. Watch some videos and learn how cows sound. Bugling is extremely,e;y risky and not usually very productive. There will be lots of people. Either out work them or out smart them.

Have fun, archery hunters have around an 8-10 percent success rate statewide on elk. That included people with really bad luck and also guys who kill almost every year.

Try to make this a long term plan. I would say most guys takes 3-4 years just to learn areas and elk habits and human habits. After 3-4 years in the unit your odds will increase greatly.

Lastly when hunting smarter do not over look random spots close to,rods or trailhead where everyone drives or hikes past.

Agree with everything. Especially the hoochie. I hate that damn thing. New company called reel game calls came out with a good sounding call thats extremely easy to use. Youre able to use it like a diaphragm call, hold it in your mouth and xhange up the cadence. However... the bugle can be one of the most overlooked calls...when you know what youre doing. If you don't, yes you can push animals into the next state and youll never hear from then again. Ive done it myself...alot. once i learned what i was doing its become just as if not more valuable than my favorite diaphragm and open reed.

Madhatter53,

The Colorado Parks & Wildlife Web Site had tons of information which can help you into researching which areas could be more beneficial for you based on the harvested numbers from last year (2016) or last two years (2015). That’s if you are doing Public Land Hunting. If you are going private and paying a large amount of $$$, well, relax, those outfitters for sure will make it easier for you because they want you to keep coming back to them.

Link to Colorado Parks & Wildlife site: http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/BigGame.aspx

elk_Numbers_1.jpgElk_Numbers_2.jpgElk_Numbers_3.jpg

Please let me know if you have any other questions or if you need any other type of information. Have a great day.

ColoradoHunter719

How to use a hoochie mama. Step 1. Throw it in the trash. ;) There is some other good info above. We pack in around 7 miles and don't see a lot of other hunters so this aspect is great. The downside is the farther in you camp and hunt....the farther out you have to pack a bull once you get one! Try to find that happy medium. Have fun and learn as much as you can the first few trips!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
applesauce4000
Back