Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Planning a bivy hunt in the Gallatin

Folks,
I'm trying to put together a bivy hunt during archery season for Elk somewhere in SW MT. I ALWAYS hunt central Montana, i.e. the Little Belts and after four years of hard effort, scouting and unfilled tags I'm ready to move on and try something bigger and better. The Little Belts can be a great place don't get me wrong, but I'd like to try something different. Right now I'm thinking the Gallatin, either just south of Bozeman or Northwest of Gardiner. I've never hunted those areas and I'm not sure where to start. Wherever I go I'd like to go in max 5 miles, set up camp and move around from there. I'll have 5 to 7 days to really get in there and go for it. I need suggestions on trails or general areas to get me started. I'll also be calling FWP and probably the local biologist to get some more info at the end of the month, but wanted to ask the folks here who have some experience. Any help whatsoever would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Why you leaving the Little Belts?Is there too much pressure or what??I was given some general imfo on sw Mt for my hunt,but will be hunting where your leaving.Don't think I could sleep well with the grizzlies around in SW Mt
I would like to know why you don't want to hunt the Belts anymore

There are a lot of advantages to the Little Belts and there are Elk there. I just don't ever seem to run into any, last season excluded. I've scouted amazing areas 5 miles in and the only thing I found were people on quads (don't get me wrong I love quads), and that's just extremely frustrating for hunting. I'm just ready for some different country. The Little Belts get a lot of pressure, but so do a lot of areas and the majority of people don't dare go over about a 1.5miles in. Anyway, I could talk all day about this. Good luck!

Lots or trail rding going on in the belts little and big during sept. Nothing like being 5 miles in and have a dirt bike cruise by.

Thanks to everyone for getting back to me. At this point I think I've got a pretty good idea of where to hit the Gallatiin during archery season. Like I said, I'm going to talk to the wildlife biologist and FWP as well. Has anyone hunted North East of Gardiner? I'm wondering if that might even be a good area as well. Either way, looking at the topo maps there are plenty of trails to access the Gallatin further south then just outside of Bozeman and 5 miles is just getting started. It's a good place to bring a spotting scope, but maybe someone else can ask my wife to let me buy one...talk about a tough nut to crack ;) Anyway, if anyone has any intel on Gallatin East or West of 191 or North East of Gardiner let me know.

I thought NE of Gardiner was open to rifle in September, maybe I'm wrong. I've never hunted on that side of the highway, always NW of Gardiner.

I thought NE of Gardiner was open to rifle in September, maybe I'm wrong. I've never hunted on that side of the highway, always NW of Gardiner.

The wilderness area in there does start early and I have never really seen alot of people go in that early for rifle. I would say that early in the year 5 miles might be a little light but you never know, and the temps can get pretty cold at night up there.

I think I may know exactly who your talking about in the little belts, I know some people that have a fairly big hunting camp about 6-7 miles back in and the only access to get that much equip in is on the quad trails. As well as an annual dirtbike excursion they all go on up there. Just too many open trails, I guess its kind of like their last best place for riding.

So far I've spoken to the wildlife biologist for 560 (NE of Gardiner) and 416 (SW corner of Little Belts) and learned a lot. 416 has some good hunting and the biologist let me know about an area I'd missed. As far as 560 is concerned, I'll be mostly alone. Used to be a lot of guys and with wolves and the large number of hunters the two main drainages got picked apart until about 4 yrs ago. Now there's some opportunity for raghorns and hunting all alone. That said, I'm not sure that area is worth it. Anyone hear anything about the Lee Metcalf Wilderness? I'm thinking I might avoid the Absaroka. My research suggests Lee Metcalf may have some bigger bulls and the NW portion might be a killer of an area, but I think it's some serious traffic too. Need to confirm with the biologist still though. I'm going about 4 to 5 miles in so at that point I may have some areas to myself.

I know after talkin to the biologist in the bozeman this last year while in school in Bozeman, he said the Lee Metcalf took a pretty hard hit on elk due to the wolves. We spoke with him last fall about the Lee Metcalf.

Uggghhh...you're killin' me Golfer...you're killin' me! I'll call the bioligist, but I'm sure you're right. The biologist made similar comments about 560. I'm not sure I can get away from the wolf issue entirely though. I'm not totally settled on not hunting 560 either, whichever is getting the least amount of predation from wolves I guess will be a deciding factor. Golfer, what did you end up doing last year then? Did you find a decent area to do some backcountry hunting. PM me if you need too.

Both of those areas are hammered by wolves... so, if that is your main criteria...you are SOL!!

I've learned to not be specific about areas over the internet, but I will say that if you are into backpacking and getting 5 miles back .... Lee Metcalf has plenty of potential. Hit and miss though, that is for sure! But that is true of almost anywhere and elk hunting. Anywhere in the entire wilderness area can be good. Or bad... hehehe

I hear ya on the Little Belt woes... frustrating area to elk hunt. I spent about 14 days up there last hunting season and never saw a bull.

I like the Little Belts for a lot of reasons, but it's gets hammered come archery season. I'll keep the Lee Metcalf in mind. There are two areas I'm seriously considering and just need to confirm with the biologist. Thanks for the advice Horn Seeker.

I am pretty sure all of the elk died down in southern MT:D

My best luck has been achieved by looking at a map, picking an area with no roads, trails or attractions and going there. I haven't killed many elk doing this, but I tend to spook plenty of them.

I like to stay away from foot trails too, it might not be an ATV ruining your hunt, but a lot of those trails have heavy horse traffic.

You're hunting the Belts so I spect you live over that way? Just a thought but why not the Highwoods and or Front. They're both a lot closer to where I'd guess you live.

I am pretty sure all of the elk died down in southern MT:D

I concur with that statement ;)

I like to stay away from foot trails too, it might not be an ATV ruining your hunt, but a lot of those trails have heavy horse traffic.

Hey now, You're getting personal :D I happen to like my equines, especially when they are loaded up with elk.

Lawnboy - Horses would be awesome for sure. Mato - Highwoods are primarily private and require a special tag now so I just don't bother. There's some great elk over there for sure. A guy I used to work with shot a GIGANTIC 8 x 8 on some property of a friend of his. It's a beauty. Concerning the Front, yes I will be spending some time over there as well later in the season. Again, I'm looking for an area less traveled where I don't have to compete with a bunch of other guys.
I've recently spoken with yet another biologist about the Lee Metcalf, Turner Ranch and West Yellowstone areas. I've learned an imense amount through the various biologists I've had a chance to speak with. I now have two or three really good areas to choose from. I always mention the advice of the guys on the forum here and it's always spot on. Thanks guys. I've got another biologist or two to speak with, but my search is nearing it's end.

Just spoke with my last biologist this last week. I love to talk to folks who love to talk about what they do. Every biologist has been extremely helpful and they have all had some surprise suggestions. Everything is coming together including the new optics, so at this point I think I'll jump into the woods check out one area at a time for a few days at a time before I move on to back up. I'm curious though how long I should go, before moving on? If I don't see or hear anything for two days does that mean I drive deeper into the woods or come out all together? Seriously, I know what I'm doing for the most part, but have never bivy'd before and I'm wondering if I should keep myself more mobile rather then sitting in an area for five six days before moving on. Thoughts?

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back