Plan My 2019 Hunt Season

CiK

Looking for some help. I am taking a democratic approach to my 2019 western hunt schedule. I did Idaho elk in 2016 and Wyoming elk this year. I would like to plan for 2 trips in 2019 with one of them being the South Dakota Black Hills listed below. My research so far shows the Black Hills as a whitetail rich environment, and I don’t want to keep building points there with my abundance of opportunity for whitetail here in Indiana.

If you were to pick the 2nd hunt, which would you pick? Hunt method or seasonal restrictions aren’t a concern….I like to hunt with bow, muzzleloader or rifle and in early season and late season. Is Colorado’s point creep so jacked up that I should just burn those points or keep adding to them? I like the idea of making it a “deer” only season (whitetail in SD and mule deer in Colorado), but I am indecisive and going democratic. I am not adding Montana into the mix this year only because I am definitely wanting to burn the SD Black Hills points to get them out of the way. Montana combo tag would be too much I think for me to take on.

Thanks!

South Dakota
- Whitetail Deer = Black Hills – 3 points
- Mule Deer = West River – 3 points

Colorado
- Mule Deer = 3 points
- Elk = 3 points
- Mule Deer = Leftover Tags (keep building points)
- Elk = Over The Counter (keep building points)

Idaho
- Elk = Over the Counter

Tony

Last edited:
You're in a really similar situation to me. I'm going to the black hills next year also, but as a family trip to some of the sights/attractions. I think my 2ndfall trip will be back to southern AZ for Coues deer late November/early December, so I still get the rut here at home.

Personally, I like to spread mine out a few weeks, and I'd hate to give up more than one week of November here at home.

Lots of great mule deer hunts in Colorado with 3 points. No OTC mule deer tags (though there are second choice / leftover).

You're also probably about to hit no-man's land with 3 Colorado elk points.

LCH,
Same here for Black Hills. My family is supposed to tag along so I have to figure out a good way to balance that. And I agree, hard for me to give up a couple weeks in November when the hunting can be just as good or better here in the home state.

Vanish,
Appreciate the info. Looking at GoHunt, I can see that no-man's land you are talking about. As I increase points, opportunity doesn't increase.....the same units stay lit up. When I do burn the points in Colorado, I most likely won't go back to building them.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back